Total Pageviews

Friday 1 July 2011

Two-minute 'cure' for glaucoma !

Most cases of glaucoma, which affects about 600,000 people in Britain, are caused by a build-up of pressure in the eye. This can damage the optic nerve and, in time, lead to loss of vision and even blindness.

At the moment those with mild to moderate glaucoma tend to be treated with eye drops which relieve some of the pressure.

Those with more serious cases undergo surgery to unblock thin tubes which normally drain away an eye liquid called aqueous humour.

Now French scientists have come up with a technique using focused ultrasound, which enables them to heat up and kill cells in the tiny gland that produces aqueous humour and stop it secreting so much.

Prof Philippe Denis, an ophthalmologist in Lyon who has undertaken pioneering surgery with the technique, said: "We turn off the tap, and reduce the pressure in the eye".


http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/8610994/Two-minute-cure-for-glaucoma.html

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think you must have regular checks for this, I know my optician tests me when I have my sight test. Interesting news article.

Peter