Total Pageviews

Tuesday 12 August 2014

DCUK How they play the GAME !

Dear Giverny,

I started the thread 'recent insulin study' in 'Diabetes Discussions' which you - innapropriately I feel - closed down today on the grounds that the forum was no place for "scaremongering... potentially dangerous information". Briefly overlooking the evident similarities with approaches taken in Orwell's 1984 (truth is such an inconveniently dangerous thing isn't it?), could I please query your precise grounds for closing down this apparently rather popular and, I felt, informative thread? Could you point, for example, to the specific comment added to the thread which you felt to be 'scaremongering' or 'potentially dangerous'? Certainly, for my part, the information I posted was an accurate reflection of information which is in the public domain and which I am very well qualified to interpret. A number of, often interesting and occasionally conflicting, viewpoints were added - this is the nature of debate, which, I would assume, is the primary function of a 'forum' (the latter deriving its title from debating habits embedded within the Roman political structure - which history suggests would themselves also have been on occasion fairly frank, forthright and not always in line with establishment views!) Whilst I believe one comment on the thread (given the moderator note added) may have included (somewhat oddly) a profanity, this having been 'blanked out', it clearly could not serve to give offence and all other comments on this thread, as far as I can tell, were civilised and entirely appropriate for this setting. So, could you please confirm what it was you took exception to in respect of the thread? I would appreciate it if you could be specific and give details of the individual comment(s) and content to which you objected.

Thank you.

AcademicDiabetic


There has been exactly zero censorship in any sense, other than one post which could have led people to make dangerous decisions about their health. The thread was CLOSED, not deleted. This means all the advice and discussion still remains there, fully intact.

I feel history is repeating itself here, so I am also going to CLOSE (not censor or delete) this thread too. If you wish to raise an issue with me, please do it via private message.

@xyzzy I removed one post which may have led T2 users to STOP taking their insulin altogether. This directly breaks the forum rule whereby users may not post dangerous medical information.


Giverny

The way to the extremely limp reason for locking the thread is here. 

Did anyone notice, AcademicDiabetic appears to have left after his complaint. Never mind, another person will be along in a minute, another name on the list. Even the banned stay on the list, all more grist to the mill eh.

This has been the pattern at DCUK for years FACT ! Countless threads that were informative and useful for many, have been locked. Giverny says "The thread was CLOSED, not deleted" but she must know full well, when a thread is locked, it disappears into oblivion and is almost never seen or heard of again.

This is one of the reasons 99% of the members have walked or rarely ever post. The forum is a forum in name only. It's main role appears that of a list gathering exercise for sales emails. A small group has directed the place for years, only dullards or those with vested interests, cannot, or do not want to see it.

Eddie

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately this is so true. When I joined the forum it was after many years of difficulty controlling my diabetes. The low carb approach may actually be saving my life. However over time it has become clear that the voices for high carb deadly advice shout louder than the voice of choice and reason. I am on the verge of abandoning the forum completely. Are there forums out there that are what they claim to be?

Lowcarb team member said...

Thanks for the comment as for other forums, I have heard a new forum is coming in the next few weeks. Stand by for an announcement on this blog.

Eddie

paul1976 said...

Anonymous said...
"Unfortunately this is so true. When I joined the forum it was after many years of difficulty controlling my diabetes. The low carb approach may actually be saving my life. However over time it has become clear that the voices for high carb deadly advice shout louder than the voice of choice and reason. I am on the verge of abandoning the forum completely..."

I couldn't agree more!! Too many good and knowledgeable diabetics have walked (Or have been pushed) because of the long term state of affairs over there but it sounds like a breath of fresh air may well be on the horizon! :)

Regards

Paul