Total Pageviews

Tuesday 19 September 2017

Smoked haddock and celeriac bake


It was back in 2011 that Eddie wrote about 'Great Grub Celeriac' and still to this day it is one of our favourite lower carb vegetables. This recipe, for a delicious bake, brings together the rich and earthy tastes of smoked haddock, onion and celeriac to create a warm, hearty dish that is layered with different flavours.

Ingredients:
Serves Two
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 small onion, sliced
1 rosemary sprig, leaves picked and chopped
2 smoked haddock fillets
200ml (1/3pt) milk
1 dried bay leaf
pinch nutmeg
1 garlic clove, halved
250g (8oz) celeriac finely sliced
75ml (3fl oz) double (heavy) cream
20g (3/4oz) Gruyère cheese, grated
salad, to serve

Method:
1. Preheat the oven to gas 3, 170°C, fan 150°C. Heat the oil in a large pan, then cook the onion and rosemary with a pinch of salt for 5 minutes, or until softened.
2. Put the fish, skin-side down, in a pan with the milk, bay leaf and nutmeg. Gently bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 4 minutes.
3. Transfer the fish to a plate with a slotted spoon, reserving 75ml (3fl oz) poaching liquid. Flake the fish and discard the skin.
4. Rub a small baking dish with the garlic. Add a layer of celeriac, followed by a layer of fish and the onion mixture; season with black pepper. Repeat until the ingredients are used up, finishing with a layer of celeriac.
5. In a jug, combine the reserved poaching liquid and the cream. Pour it over the celeriac and scatter with the cheese. Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
6. Remove the foil and increase the heat to gas 6, 200°C, fan 180°C. Bake for 25 minutes more, or until golden. Depending on your oven it may need longer - check before serving... w
ith salad.

From an original idea
here

There's also a nice recipe for a Pork, celeriac and apple bake here 

A variety of recipe ideas is within this blog, but please note, not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

21 comments:

Stephanie said...

What a delicious recipe, my friend. I always enjoy your posts, Jan. Thank you for sharing.

Hugs!

Lady Fi said...

Looks nice, but I'll have it without fish. Thanks! ;-)

Jules said...

I do love your recipe ideas. I think I will be giving this a try, last week's frittata was delicious. X

Jo said...

That looks lovely, I should give that one a try.

VENTANA DE FOTO said...

Por los ingredientes que lleva debe estaar deliciosa.

Besos

Elephant's Child said...

I am with Lady Fi - and need to do more with celeriac.

William Kendall said...

I don't care for fish, but one could transfer these other ingredients over to pork or lamb, I expect.

Christine said...

Looks so good, don't think I've ever had celeriac.

Lisabella Russo said...

I don't think I've tried celeriac, I should try to find some, I think it might be a nice addition to my veggie arsenal...

Linda said...

This looks really delicious, Jan! Thank you so much for sharing.

sage said...

This looks good, but I'm not sure where to get celeriac (and don't think it is the same as celery)

happyone said...

Looks good, I've never had celeriac either.

Linda said...

I don't think I've had celeriac. It's beem ages since I've cooked haddock.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

To be honest, this vegetarian had never heard of celeriac. I had to look it up on the internet. I'm sure it's available in large cities across the country, but I for one, who hangs out primarily in the veggie and fruit aisles of my local markets, have never run across it. I'm heading to the market today, so I'll ask if they have it. It would be a great and different addition to my veggie repertoire. Thanks for sharing this recipe.

Valerie-Jael said...

I love the sound of this. Thanks for sharing, hugs, Valerie

Mary Kirkland said...

I had to look up Celeriac since I've never seen it but that sounds interesting.

DMS said...

This sounds very tasty. I am starving, so now my stomach is growling. :) Thanks for sharing!
~Jess

Magic Love Crow said...

My mom loves this one and she says thanks Jan! Big Hugs!

Lee said...

I've some smoked haddock in my freezer...and very soon I'm making a similar dish out of it!!

Crafty Green Poet said...

ths sounds great!

Lisa said...

Goodness me I haven't had smoked haddock for the longest time. I must buy some soon.
Lisa x