Total Pageviews

Wednesday 24 June 2020

Cajun Crab Casserole : Low Carb : Keto


This is a tasty and quick-to-make low carb / keto casserole with crab meat and delicious seasonings.

Ingredients

Serves Four
6g carbs per serving
2 tbsp butter, for frying
1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
5 oz. (150g) celery stalks, finely chopped (optional)
salt and pepper
1¼ cups (300ml) mayonnaise
4 eggs, lightly beaten
16 oz. (450g) canned crab meat, drained
12 oz. (350g) shredded (grated), white cheddar cheese
2 tsp paprika powder
¼ tsp cayenne pepper

For serving
3 oz. / 75g leafy greens
2 tablespoons olive oil

Tips
This casserole is easy to vary by substituting the crab meat for canned tuna,
or other cooked fish like mackerel or salmon. 

If you would like to make this dish even more gourmet, feel free to use parmesan cheese or gruyere,
for some extra wonderful layers of flavour. 

Recipe instructions
can be seen here


"Cajun food" comes from the deepest Southern parts of Louisiana and Mississippi. Like the area it originated from, Cajun flavour is spicy, rich, and really, really good! A lot of people don’t know that the typical Cajun food was developed by extremely poor people. Refugees and farmers used what they had to feed large families. Since Cajun people are so close to the Gulf of Mexico, seafood is a big item in their dishes. Favourites are craw-fish, catfish, crabs, and oysters. This is another example of the Cajun people living with what they had. Seafood was available, as there were a lot of fisherman, and that’s what they had to eat. Cajun spices always consist of three things. Bell pepper, onions and celery are the favourite vegetables to add flavour for the Cajun food. It is referred to as the ‘Holy Trinity.’ A couple of other favourites are cayenne pepper and garlic. Cajuns are fond of their spice, and add it to most dishes that they prepare. 


This blog brings a variety of articles and recipe ideas, and it is important to note, not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use a reliable meter. 

If you are experiencing warm sunny days these salad suggestions may be of interest, see here

All the best Jan

33 comments:

Catarina said...

Oh! I have to make this casserole and it has to be today!!! I don't have crab but I have tuna!!

I make cajun jambalaya from time to time. Love the flavours.

Tom said...

...we need to try this one.

Nadezda said...

I liked your recipe, Jan. Always fish and seafood meals are preferable.
I think I could cook this meal.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

Another delicious recipe. I love most recipe with crab meat. Enjoy your day!

Pom Pom said...

Yummy! I love crab!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

This sounds good. I even found a can of mackerel in my cupboard when I was looking for tuna. I would have to substitute the mayo, though, because I'm allergic to it.

Lorrie said...

Mmm. I love crab. No hot weather here yet, but I keep hoping things will warm up!

Mary Kirkland said...

I love crab so this sounds really good to me.

Sondra said...

OH my that looks so delicious! Keto we used to call it the Atkins diet right? Have a wonderful rest of the week.

R's Rue said...

I want.

Valerie-Jael said...

This sounds great! Valerie

Christine said...

This looks delicious and the flowers are so pretty!

Lowcarb team member said...

Sondra said...
OH my that looks so delicious! Keto we used to call it the Atkins diet right? Have a wonderful rest of the week

Hello Sondra, many thanks for your comment.

Atkins and keto are two of the best-known low-carb diets.
Both stipulate a drastic reduction in high-carb foods, including sweets, sugary drinks, breads, grains, fruits, legumes, and potatoes.
Though these diets are similar, they have differences as well.
Read more here
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/atkins-vs-keto

Diet Doctor site also has some excellent information regarding keto and low carb and you can read much more here
https://www.dietdoctor.com/

Eddie and I choose to eat a low carb high fat lifestyle and more about this can be seen here
https://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.com/2016/05/introduction-to-low-carb-for-beginners.html

and here
https://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.com/2015/03/what-is-lchf-anyway-please-read-more.html

Happy mid-week wishes

All the best Jan

Evi Erlinda said...

It's a very special recipe!
I always love cajun and creole recipes!

VENTANA DE FOTO said...

Se ve apetitoso y no tiene muchas calorías. Ahora con el calor, no paetece comer comidas muy pesadas.

Besos

DeniseinVA said...

Thank you for this recipe and for the link. Take care :)

DVArtist said...

Ohhhhh this sounds excellent.

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

That looks interesting, it's a long time since I had crab.

Elephant's Child said...

That sounds and looks good - and could be readily monitored for a vegetarian diet too. Thank you.
And your picture of green blooms really took my eye.
Thank you.

mamasmercantile said...

Looks delicious.

This N That said...

Sounds yummy..I would do it without the Pepper..I'm not a" Spicey"..gal..

Rose said...

I would not mind trying this with crab...

My name is Erika. said...

This sounds delicious. I haven't had crab in a long time.

aussie aNNie said...

Been MIA due to new computer and organizing my programmes, this recipe looks delish.. love the BIG nose below...x

DIMI said...

Hello Jan!
That sounds delicious!
Thank you for the recipe! Have a lovely day! Stay safe!
Dimi...

It's me said...

Mmmmmmmm.....love Ria 💕🍀💕

baili said...

this one looks absolutely delicious dear Jan

it was good to know about history of Cajun
thank you for wonderful post my friend
blessings!

Sami said...

Looks delicious Jan, I've saved it :)

Martha said...

Something worth trying!

Conniecrafter said...

I have been finding the older I get that the hot, spicy foods haven't been liking me too much, that is so sad.

Teresa said...

Otra receta muy buena. Besitos.

CraveCute said...

This looks so yummy! I've just started doing keto meals and this looks like a winner!
Thanks a bunch!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Anything with crab in it perks up my attention immediately!