Total Pageviews

Thursday 27 August 2020

Crustless Quiche Lorraine : Low Carb


"This simplified version of the classic French tart requires no pastry skills, reducing the prep and cooking times. It is delicious served warm from the oven or cold as leftovers the following day, making it a great option for a work lunch or picnic"... and fits well with my LCHF menu plans!

Ingredients
Serves Four
low-calorie cooking spray
8 lean bacon rashers, roughly chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
6 large free-range eggs
100g/3½oz Cheddar, grated
2 tbsp chopped fresh tarragon
2 tbsp finely chopped fresh chives
100g/3½oz cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
salt and freshly ground black pepper
crisp green salad, to serve

Method
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C Fan/Gas 4.
2. Spray a large frying pan with low-calorie cooking spray. Add the bacon and onion and stir-fry over a medium heat for 10 minutes, or until the onions have softened and the bacon is cooked.
3. Whisk the eggs in a wide bowl and stir in half the cheese and 1 tablespoon each of the tarragon and chives. Stir in half of the bacon and onion mixture. Season well with salt and pepper.
4. Lightly spray a 20–22cm/8–8½in round ovenproof dish or non-stick pie tin with low-calorie cooking spray. Pour in the egg mixture. Scatter over the remaining bacon and onion mixture, cheese, herbs and the cherry tomatoes. Bake for 30–35 minutes, or until just set and golden. Serve warm or cold, sliced into wedges with a crisp green salad of your choice.
From original idea here


Tarragon is a popular and versatile herb, it has an intense flavour that's a unique mix of sweet aniseed and a mild vanilla. The leaves are narrow, tapering and slightly floppy, growing from a long, slender stem. It's a key herb in French cuisine (it's an essential ingredient in sauce BĂ©arnaise), and goes very well with eggs, cheese and poultry. Choose fresh-looking leaves, with no dis-colouration or wilting.

I hope you may enjoy this recipe suggestion soon, but please note, you will find a variety of recipe suggestions within this blog, and not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

34 comments:

Tom said...

...something great to try!

Elephant's Child said...

That sounds and looks like an oven baked frittata. And would no doubt be delicious.

Martha said...

Yummy! I love quiche and make at least one a week :)

This N That said...

Looks wonderful. One of my favorites. Thanks for sharing

Kay said...

This looks simple and delicious!

Christine said...

looks so good!

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

My kind of dish! Yum.

Sally said...

Quiche is one of my favorite dishes! I made one the other day but only cheese and spinach. I'll have to try your recipe when I finally settle back down here at home. I'm off again tomorrow. :)

Take care. See you in a couple of weeks.
xoxo

Rose said...

Another that sounds good...

DVArtist said...

Ohhh I am making this tomorrow morning. That just looks so good.

Angie said...

Jan - I am not too worried about carbs these days, but if I ever lost Head Chef, there go the pastry skills - so this is a superb back-up! Thanks for your visit to my blog today!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

That sounds like the kind o quiche I would enjoy and it would be less fattening, too.

Lorrie said...

We love quiche!

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

I really love crustless quiche. It is such a versatile menu and always so delicious. And low carb!

Margaret D said...

Often cook one of these, we rather like them.

Iris Flavia said...

I´ll get such an oven proof dish because.... YAY, I dare DO use the big oven now! I got proper glovies!
I´ll have to do a rerun through your recipes 😊

Jo said...

Oh yum, that looks delicious, it's making my mouth water just looking at it.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

The quiche looks delicious, I love all the ingredients. Thanks for sharing!
Enjoy your day, have a happy weekend!

Rhodesia said...

I often make crustless quiches, we both love them. Keep well Diane

Sondra said...

That is Beautiful!

Ana MĂ­nguez Corella said...

I love this :-)))
Have a nice weekend..
Ana

Divers and Sundry said...

I had to google "bacon rasher" lol Another name for thin slice, which was new to me. This sounds like a great way to make quiche.

William Kendall said...

That looks good.

Phil Slade said...

Sorry. I just had to laugh at Divers and Sunday's comment. Just proves how this blog travels the world. And the uniqueness of the English language.

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

Another to keep I think.

carol l mckenna said...

Looks so healthy and delicious!

Live each moment with love,

A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Elderberry-Rob said...

looks delicious only I love the crust on a quiche - infact I will eat all the pastry if I can get away with it- the crumbly short crust edges of a quich pastry are one of my delights :) this does look like a very nice recipe though :)

Debbie said...

a nice healthy dish, with great fresh ingredients!!!

Sami said...

I love quiche, will give this one a try for sure.
Thanks Jan

Teresa said...

Se ve muy sabrosa. Besos y feliz domingo.

Jeanie said...

This looks delicious! I think I have everything except the pie plate up here, but it would probably work in a brownie tin. I might make this while Rick is on his bike hike. I think I have most of the ingredients and can probably fudge what I don't. Thanks, Jan. Looks wonderful!

Jason Whitney said...

That really loooks good, now check this out - vital keto

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

I eat a crustless quiche every morning, Jan. I make it in a 9 x 13” pan and cut and freeze the pieces.

Sami said...

Looks simple to make and delicious. Thanks Jan