Total Pageviews

Thursday 13 August 2020

Weight gain and menopause: 8 tips to win the battle of the middle-age bulge


"Are you a woman in your mid-40s to mid-60s? Have you found that your belly is getting thicker? Are you gaining weight no matter what you do?

Maybe you’ve been dieting and exercising but the pounds are stubbornly hanging on?

This guide may help, it tells you what you need to know about menopause, plus how to manage (and potentially lose) weight during the menopause transition. In short, a low-carb diet and certain lifestyle changes can greatly help.

Millions of women around the globe are currently going through “the change.” When adding the years lived after age 60 — called post menopause — it’s estimated that close to 1 billion women in the world today are going through menopause or are postmenopausal.

Given that most women spend one-third of their lives in this non-reproductive state, it helps to understand what is going on with your metabolism and hormones.

What changes can you make that will help prevent or even reverse any menopausal weight gain? How can you best protect your health?

Here are 8 top tips:


1. Eat a low-carb or ketogenic diet. This can help keep insulin low and maintain metabolism.

2. Eat enough protein. This helps maintain lean muscle mass.

3. Lift weights or do resistance training. This also helps maintain and build more muscle.

4. Introduce time-restricted eating, such as skipping breakfast. This helps keep insulin low for longer stretches.

6. Prioritize sleep. This can decrease cortisol and reduce insulin resistance.

7. Manage stress with relaxation techniques. Yoga, exercise, and meditation can all help.

8. Talk with your doctor about a trial of hormone replacement therapy (HRT) if you are having a very difficult menopause transition.

For more details about what happens during menopause and why these eight tips can help, please read more here "

Readers may also like to read about The 'male menopause' please see this NHS information here

All the best Jan 

22 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Thank you for these tips - which are almost all relevant to all of us, all of the time, regardless of gender.

Tom said...

...I'm glad that this wasn't a problem.

Jeanie said...

These are really good tips. Good for anytime but especially we of an age. I just wish I didn't take meds that helped me not lose. But I can't blame it all on that!

Christine said...

Thanks for this advice!

anakdenesor said...

nice tips

Rose said...

I think I do everything wrong...

DVArtist said...

This is a great article. Thank you for sharing it.

DeniseinVA said...

Thanks for the great article, very interesting!

peppylady (Dora) said...

I am working on my health hygiene

Valerie-Jael said...

Good advice. Have a great day, Valerie

Iris Flavia said...

Sleep and quiet times are a problem. I do yoga (when summer is over) but I even have the TV running cause otherwise it´s too boring.
BIL gave me a book on meditation. Boooring! I´ll have an egg soon. 3 good ones sit in the fridge. (Good as in males are not shreddered).

Linda said...

I do some of these... pretty much baffled on reducing stress. I've tried meditation etc but the stress comes back pretty quickly.

Margaret D said...

Good advice Jan.

Jo said...

Some good tips.

Fun60 said...

I wish I could say following them is easy. My lack of will power is pathetic!

Elkes Lebensglück said...

These tips are very interesting, thank you I'm this age right now!
Greetings Elke

eileeninmd said...

Great info and tips, thanks for sharing!
Take care, enjoy your day! Wishing you a happy weekend!

mxtodis123 said...

Good advice that I should have used when menopause hit.

Sussi said...

thank you, good tips!

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

Some of those things are hard to do such as getting a good nights sleep

Conniecrafter said...

Oh the joys of growing old, need to try a couple of them, doing most of them now :)

Divers and Sundry said...

Excellent ideas, each one. I've actually come to enjoy my work with weights :)