Total Pageviews

Saturday 18 May 2024

Foods Anyone with Allergies Should Consider Eating

Springtime is marked by three distinct things ... flowers blooming, warmer temperatures, and allergies! While the flowers are beautiful, the dreaded pollen can take its toll on numerous people, causing more than just sinus issues.


There's currently no cure for hay fever and you cannot prevent it. Antihistamine drops, tablets or nasal sprays can help and your local pharmacist should be able to offer guidance on this. 

Can what you eat help with allergies? Unfortunately, there are no magical foods that can cure your allergies. But, there are certain foods you can eat to help support your body if you suffer from allergies.

These are the top five foods anyone with allergies should consider eating

1. Garlic

Garlic is a powerhouse food packed with many strong compounds, especially beneficial for those who experience allergies. Not only does it have anti-inflammatory and immune-boosting properties that may help reduce allergy symptoms, but it also contains quercetin. Quercetin has immunomodulatory effects, meaning it helps regulate the immune system's response to foreign invaders such as viruses, bacteria, and allergens.

2. Citrus Fruits

The star vitamin in citrus fruits like oranges, lemons, and grapefruits is Vitamin C. Vitamin C helps boost the immune system and reduce inflammation associated with allergies. Vitamin C plays a vital role in supporting immune function and enhancing the body's ability to fight off infections and allergens. It helps stimulate the production and activity of white blood cells, which are involved in the immune response. By bolstering the immune system, vitamin C may help reduce the severity and duration of allergy symptoms.

3. Turmeric

Turmeric contains an active compound called curcumin. Curcumin has been shown to inhibit inflammatory pathways and reduce the production of inflammatory molecules. By reducing inflammation, turmeric may help alleviate allergy symptoms such as nasal congestion, sneezing, and itching. Plus, turmeric boasts antioxidant properties which may help to relieve allergy symptoms.

4. Salmon And Other Fatty Fish

Fatty fish like salmon, mackerel, and sardines are rich in omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3 fatty acids, particularly eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), have potent anti-inflammatory properties. Allergic reactions trigger inflammation in the body as the immune system responds to allergens. Omega-3s help reduce the production of inflammatory molecules, which in turn help reduce inflammation and alleviate allergy symptoms such as nasal congestion, sneezing, and itching.

5. Onion

Onions are nutritious vegetables that are rich in vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients. Onions are a significant dietary source of quercetin, a flavonoid with antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Quercetin has been studied for its potential to reduce allergic reactions by stabilizing mast cells and inhibiting the release of histamine, a compound involved in allergic responses. Consuming quercetin-rich foods like onions may help alleviate allergy symptoms.

Above words and image taken from article here
The NHS also give advice about Hay Fever/ Allergies here


Do you have problems with pollen/hay fever? Do you find certain foods help alleviate it? Do please share your thoughts and any tips in the comments below.

Important:
Please note articles within this blog are provided for general information only, and should not be treated as a substitute for the medical advice of your own doctor or any other health care professional. If you have any concerns about your general health, you should contact your GP or local health care team/provider.

All the best Jan

27 comments:

Mari said...

I've dealt with hay fever all my life and never heard of foods helping. This is an interesting list and certainly worth trying. Thanks for sharing this!

Elephant's Child said...

I do suffer with allergies. Lots of allergies. Fortunately I eat most of the foods you have listed - all year round.

Christine said...

Thanks for sharing.

kathyinozarks said...

Interesting post-thank you.
Happy weekend Kathy

Tom said...

...knock on wood, allergies aren't a problem for me.

Linda said...

I am allergic to all citrus and turmeric, eat only canned salmon, only cooked onions.

J.P. Alexander said...

Gracias por el consejo. Te mando un beso.

Little Wandering Wren said...

I have hay fever, although my symptoms have improved with age. I do like all these foods in my diet, but I will make sure I pay more attention to eating them now! Thanks for the information.
Wren x

Teresa said...

Muy interesante,feliz fin de semana. Besos.

roentare said...

I actually eat all these above ingredients regularly everyday

jabblog said...

That's an interesting list of foods and not at all difficult to acquire. I hope it helps those who suffer. My husband used to have hay fever but stopped drinking milk one year and it stopped. Maybe he'd just 'grown out of it' but milk doesn't affect him now.

Rustic Pumpkin said...

I have suffered with allergic rhinitis ever since I was 14 years of age. With the exception of turmeric, I eat almost all of those foods in decent quantities, so I shouldn't really still be suffering. They do say eating local honey helps, produced as local to your home as you can possibly find it. Of course, if you're trying to watch your sugar levels, honey isn't an option.

Shari Burke said...

Along with the pollen, I react to fungal spores and various other things as well. This is a great list. The only thing on it that I don't eat is turmeric, which I've never had. I keep meaning to try it to see what it tastes like.

eileeninmd said...

Thanks for sharing this list of foods!
I am dealing with the allergies now.
Have a great weekend.

Valerie-Jael said...

Good to know which foods can help against allergies! Have a great weekend, hugs, Valerie

Jeanie said...

I definitely have issues with alleries or at least pollen at this time of year. All of these are in regular rotation in my diet. I don't know if they help or not but they taste good!

baili said...

Many thanks for sharing these wise words dear Jan!
We have been suffering little bit skin allergy time to time which seems related to seasonal change.
Hugs and blessings

Norma2 said...

Very interesting what you have told us and they can never hurt us.

Divers and Sundry said...

Great list. Thx!

happyone said...

Thankfully I've never suffered from allergies.

Mary Kirkland said...

I have a mild allergy to a few foods but I still eat them because I like them.

My name is Erika. said...

Spring pollen allergies are not fun! Thanks for sharing this.

Rose said...

I should be real healthy...considering how much garlic I eat part of the time...and I LOVE onions...just smelling one makes me hungry.

Rajani Rehana said...

Beautiful blog

Lorrie said...

We eat all of these foods and thankfully, have no allergies to contend with, although I don't know that there's a correlation.

Crafty Green Poet said...

That's a good list! I eat a lot of garlic, turmeric and onions

Conniecrafter said...

My allergy is dust, but hubby has all kinds in the spring and fall.