Total Pageviews

Saturday 11 May 2024

May Birth Flower : Hawthorn

If you are a May baby your birth flowers are Lily-of-the-valley and Hawthorn. This post is about the Hawthorn, but if you haven't already seen my earlier post about Lily-of-the-Valley, you can read it here

Hawthorn
is a flowering shrub in the rose family with flowers that bloom in May in small white, red, or pink clusters. Small berries, called haws, sprout after the flowers. The fruit is an important winter food source for birds, and the thorny hawthorns also provide protective nesting areas safe from predators. The hawthorn is a longstanding symbol of hope.


Hawthorn are found in Europe and Asia, as well as North America. There are hundreds of species of Hawthorn, which are small, dense trees or shrubs that can grow up to 30 feet tall.

Hawthorn Meanings and Symbolism
  • Hawthorn have long been a symbol of hope. Other associations include its ability to mark the entrance to other worlds, with a strong connection to fairies.
  • Ancient Greeks were said to use its branches during wedding processions, while in Celtic lore, Hawthorn was thought to heal a broken heart.
  • According to Serbian lore, it was once believed that stakes made from Hawthorn could slay vampires.
  • Hawthorn are associated with the pagan symbol of fertility.
  • It was once thought that bringing a hawthorn blossom inside would be followed by illness and death. During medieval times, the smell of Hawthorn blossom was associated with the Great Plague.
  • Many have believed that a Hawthorn’s bloom marked the point of change from spring to summer.
Hawthorn in History
  • The Hawthorn’s link to May Day is undeniable. For this reason, it has been customary to decorate the celebration with flowering Hawthorn branches, most notably in the form of May Day garlands.
  • In 1923, the white Hawthorn blossom was recognized as the state flower of Missouri.
  • Hawthorn has been used for medicinal purposes for years, including to treat heart and blood diseases, as well as chest pains, blood pressure issues, and high cholesterol. The majority of its medicinal value is found in its fruit pigments.
  • Hawthorn leaves and fruit are edible. When picked young, the leaves can be used in salads. The fruit can be eaten on its own or used to make jelly and wine.
  • The shrike—a type of bird—will impale its (already dead) prey onto a hawthorn’s thorn, allowing the bird to eat more comfortably.
I hope you enjoyed reading this post. You may now like to read this one about 'Some Foods In Season During May' which also has some recipe suggestions - see here

All the best Jan

30 comments:

peppylady (Dora) said...

I guess I'm strange. I like hawthorne. But no one else in my family is fond of them.

roentare said...

Hawthorn is a herb that is used in seasoning too

Tom said...

...I find Hawthorne a strange choice.

Chris said...

As soon as I see Hawthorn in the hedgerows I know spring is really on its way.. looked back and think that tray baked egg recipe would make us a super lunch meal. Thank you.

J.P. Alexander said...

Me gusto conocer más sobre el espino. Te mando un beso.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Hawthorn is such a beautiful shrub when it blooms! I never knew it was May's flower

Ginny Hartzler said...

So interesting, and this one has abundant blooms. I don't think I have ever seen one here, but now that I know what they look like I will be looking for them!

Fun60 said...

The Hawthorne brightens up the hedgerows and lets us know spring is well on its way but I never think of it as the birth flower of May. I leave that honour to the lily of the valley.

Margaret D said...

Interesting.
Love to see it in bloom on mass here in our springtime Jan.

Elephant's Child said...

I have heard/read about them but don't think I have ever seen one.

Giorgio said...

Interesting post about hawthorn trees. I didn't know it can grow up to 30 feet tall.
The weather is sunny ths weekend here in Cnetral Italy.
Have a nice weekend ☀

jabblog said...

We used to call the hawthorn leaves and berries 'bread and butter' and always enjoyed eating them. Our hawthorn tree which we had thought dead, is flourishing, I'm delighted to say.

Rosemary said...

My MIL would not allow Hawthorne blossom in her house. However, I doubt that she ever knew the real reason why, it was simply superstition to her.

My name is Erika. said...

I'm not familiar with Hawthorne, though I've heard the name. Now I need to keep my eyes open to see if any are around. Happy weekend.

eileeninmd said...

The Hawthorne is pretty and I like that is has the berries too.
Have a great day and happy weekend.

Jeanie said...

I don't know that I've ever seen a hawthorne. Thanks for the intro!

Christine said...

Happy May!

CJ Kennedy said...

My parents had a red hawthorn in the front yard. Absolutely beautiful. A heartbreak when it split in half from an ice storm.

Norma2 said...

Eddie,around here we call it crataegus and it is used to make hedges.

Rose said...

I don't know why I never think to look up things like this...it is all interesting...and funny how birds and animals do things we would never think of them doing.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Thank you for the interesting info on hawthorne
I like that stake part. It means a hawthorne branch will make a nice wood for a want.
Happy Weekend!

DUTA said...

I've never seen Hawthorn, but I did hear about its cardiovascular benefits.

Rustic Pumpkin said...

It's a beautiful plant to see, and albeit meagre can be used as a food source, although the berries shouldn't be eaten in quantity, they're a good addition to a hedgerow jelly.

Mary Kirkland said...

I think it's pretty.

Jeff said...

While there are hawthorns in America, I saw more of them hiking in Scotland than here. They make nice hedgerows.

Katerinas Blog said...

I really enjoyed your post.
I am a child of May and did not know all this, thanks for the photo and information.
If I understood the plant correctly here (Greece) they also use it a lot as a tea!
Thanks also for the link to the recipes (the blog also works as a calendar).
Be well and have a beautiful week!

Teresa said...

Por aquí florecen antes, ya quedan pocos en flor. Es una de mis fragancias favoritas silvestres de la primavera. Besos.

Back2OurSmallCorner said...

We have a hawthorn at the bottom of the garden. It is a pretty tree with Spring blossom and then later with the berries which the birds love.

Lowcarb team member said...

GOOGLE TRANSLATE

J.P. Alexander said...
Me gusto conocer más sobre el espino. Te mando un beso.

I liked learning more about hawthorn. I send you a kiss

Teresa said...
Por aquí florecen antes, ya quedan pocos en flor. Es una de mis fragancias favoritas silvestres de la primavera. Besos

Around here they bloom earlier, there are few left in bloom. It's one of my favorite wild fragrances of spring. Kisses.

Conniecrafter said...

I think we have a few of these in our neighborhood, I never did know the name of the bush/tree, just always enjoyed the flowers every spring :)