Total Pageviews

Tuesday 11 July 2017

Beef Bourguignon ... low carb and delicious.


Regular readers may have already seen and tried this lovely low carb dish, it's one of our favourites, but you can never have too much of a good thing - can you? It is delicious, why not give it a try.

Ingredients:

Serves Two
250 grams of diced braising steak
A handful of shallots
A handful of button mushrooms
50 grams of smoked bacon lardons
1 teaspoon of mixed dried herbs
1 bay leaf (optional)
2 beef stock cubes
1 large glass of red wine
Salt and pepper to taste
1 table spoon of olive oil

Method:
Heat the oil (to medium heat)in a frying pan. Add the shallots and mushrooms, fry/saute until golden brown, Remove from pan into oven proof casserole dish.

Add bacon lardons to pan and cook until they are lightly browned, add to casserole dish.

Finally put diced beef into frying pan and lightly brown each side of cubed beef then put into casserole dish.

Make up the beef stock to approx. half to three quarters of a pint, but the red wine should make up about half of the liquid.Bring to a gentle simmer in the frying pan and add the mixed herbs, salt and pepper to taste.

Pour over the ingredients in the casserole dish, add your bay leaf (optional). Cover and cook for approx two to two and a half hours at Regulo 4 Electric 180 stirring after the first hour. Serve with steamed broccoli and white cabbage or vegetables of your choice.

Delicious, very easy to make and very low carb.

Hope you enjoy it.

All the best Jan

26 comments:

Tom said...

...looks mighty yummy!

Valerie-Jael said...

This sounds Wonderful, must try it when I am allowed to eat meat again. Hugs Valerie

Terry said...

What a fab-looking meal it is.

Alicia said...

This looks fabulous. Lardons?? I had never heard of those. Reminds me of my mom who trims all the fat off of pork chops and then fries the fat separately in a pan until they are crispy. She loves them!

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

That sounds great, but I'd make one itty bitty change. I'd make it TWO glasses of wine... one for the dish, and one for the cook. :)

only slightly confused said...

I have not made this in ages.....years....really. Now I want some.

happyone said...

That sure looks good.

Elephant's Child said...

My partner would enjoy that. And would have a glass of red wine while it cooked. A large one so that he and the casserole were in synch.

William Kendall said...

A meal I love. My mother tended to make it for Christmas Eve.

Christine said...

This looks so good!

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

Wow, how delicious your beef looks! There would be happy folks at my table if I prepared this lovely dish! ♥

Martha said...

No you certainly cannot have too much of a good thing! Especially with a delicious recipe such as this one.

Catarina said...

I made an Irish stew!!

Lovely dish. I made it once. It has been a while. I will copy the recipe and will make it again.
: )

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

I can almost taste it - looks so good! Yummy! x Karen

Kay said...

Oh my! My mouth started watering just looking at the photo.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, the meal looks delicious. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Have a happy day!

Mylittlepieceofengland said...

Just the right sort of thing to have yesterday evening xx

Carol Blackburn said...

Sounds so good but does anything substitute for the red wine, I'm allergic to wines because of sulfites.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I can't remember the last time I made this...must be time! What a great recipe too! Thanks! Loving those 'red veggies' in the last post too. I'm off to the Farmer's mkt tomorrow with a list! Hugs, Diane

Lowcarb team member said...

Carol said:
"Sounds so good but does anything substitute for the red wine, I'm allergic to wines because of sulfites."

You could omit the red wine and increase the herbs ... for example a bouquet garni
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/bouquet_garni

This site does talk about wines without sulphites ...
http://www.foodrepublic.com/2012/03/27/top-5-wines-without-sulfites/

Or how about a nice slow cooked beef casserole
http://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.co.uk/2016/11/beef-slowly-cooked-with-onions-carrots.html

Hope this helps,

All the best Jan

Lowcarb team member said...

Alicia said:
"This looks fabulous. Lardons?? I had never heard of those. Reminds me of my mom who trims all the fat off of pork chops and then fries the fat separately in a pan until they are crispy. She loves them!"

Hi Alicia ... Lardons are small pieces of fat, typically pork fat, that are used extensively in French cooking, as well as in some cooking from other regions.
Read more about them here
http://www.wisegeek.org/what-are-lardons.htm

All the best Jan

Kezzie said...

Sadly, this one is not for me! I don't really enjoy beef stew and mushrooms are evil!!

Conniecrafter said...

Oh that sounds interesting, I put a bay leaf in our beef roasts when I cook them in a pot on the stove with onions.

Anonymous said...

Happy Weekend. This really looks delicious.

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

This sounds delicious. I have never heard of Lardons, but it looks like stew meat to me. Thanks for sharing these low carb dishes. I'm always on the lookout for more for my husband.

Magic Love Crow said...

Thanks so much Jan! Big Hugs!