Total Pageviews

Sunday 23 July 2017

Limes : Some Facts and Two Lower Carb Recipe Suggestions


Limes are the same shape, but smaller than lemons, with a bright green, fairly smooth skin, limes are a highly aromatic fruit. Limes are an important ingredient in Mexican, Indian, Latin American and South-East Asian cookery.

Three main types are available:
Tahitian, which is the largest, with the most acidic flavour; Mexican, slightly smaller, very aromatic, and with a particularly bright green skin; and Key lime, which have a paler skin, a high juice content and a strong flavour. Like lemons, limes are high in vitamin C.

Availability
All year round.


Choose the best
Look for unblemished, firm limes that feel heavy for their size as they will be the juiciest. If you intend to use the zest, buy them in-waxed (shops should state this clearly). If you can't find un-waxed limes, scrub the limes thoroughly before zesting.


Prepare it
To extract the maximum amount of juice, make sure the limes are at room temperature, and firmly roll them back and forth under your palm a couple of times - that helps to break down some of the flesh's fibres. Alternatively, microwave them for around 30 seconds, depending on the size of the lime - warming them up also helps them give up more juice.


Store it
In a perforated bag in the fridge (for a couple of weeks); in a fruit bowl (for around a week). Once cut, wrap in cling-film and keep in the fridge for up to four days.


Cook it
Use to make Key lime pie; salsas and curries; marinades for raw fish; add a wedge to a classic gin and tonic or use to make cocktails such as the margarita, caipirinha or mojito.

Here are two lower carb recipe suggestions that use limes  that you may wish to try ...

Pork chops with apple, lime and mint butter - recipe here


Low Carb Lime and Vanilla Cheese cake - see recipe here


Will you be including limes on your shopping list soon ...

All the best Jan

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

The pork chop recipe with lime sounds delicious. We've been seeing very pretty limes at the market. I'll pick up a few. Have a great day.

Catarina said...

I have limes in the fridge all the time. A glass of water with a slice or two of lime ana mint leaves tastes really good.

Tom said...

...great looking pork chop.

Valerie-Jael said...

Limes are so expensive here, they are not on my usual shopping list, but here and there I do treat myself to one. Hugs, Valerie

eileeninmd said...

Hello, I love limes and lemons. I like to mix to two with mint for a lemon-lime drink. Happy Sunday, enjoy your day and week ahead!

Christine said...

Wonderful recipes!

Connie said...

Great minds think alike, yesterday I make a big pitcher of limeade, just a little bit tangier that lemonade and so refreshing :)

Mary Kirkland said...

I like using limes, cilantro and oil for a quick marinade for beef and chicken.

Blogoratti said...

That looks delicious, and a nice recipe indeed.

Jenn Jilks said...

Just bought some! We had margaritas!!!

Miss Val's Creations said...

Oh I wish I enjoyed limes. They are not one of my favorite fruits. However I do love a touch of fresh lime juice in salsa!

Saikat Roy Chowdhury said...

Delicious recepie..!!

Lisabella Russo said...

The lime and vanilla cheesecake looks so very yummy, thank you!

JFM said...

That pork chop recipe sounds scrumptious!!!
I do like to use limes.

Thank you for another wonderful post Jan 💮

happyone said...

Limes, something I don't use, I'll have to remedy that.

Linda said...

The pork chops sound amazing, Jan! And I love lime, I often use the juice of a lime when I make a salad. I make my own dressing with lime or lemon juice, olive or grape seed oil, and a little salt and pepper. :)

Snowbird said...

You have inspired me to start including limes in my cooking, something I always forget about.xxx

Martha said...

That Lime and Vanilla Cheese cake for me! So good.

Sandra Cox said...

Okay, I'm ready for some salsa with lime:)
YOU, have a great one, Jan.

Lee said...

I love limes...I love all things citrus. And I consume lots...I consume lots of fresh fruit, period.

Why do I always read you posts close to my lunch time???? :)

Lisa said...

Love the sound of the cheesecake.
Have a great week.
Lisa x

Kezzie said...

I am joining the 'Pork chops look aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamazing' bandwagon- they really do!
We keep limes in our fridge- my husband likes to use them for cooking and also in Guacamole!
I like the microwaving tip and the rolling one- thank you!

Carla from The River said...

Cheesecake!!! Yummy!
We love lime here at this house. Thank you for the ideas.
Carla

Magic Love Crow said...

Excellent post! Thank you Jan!