Total Pageviews

Monday 20 November 2017

'Reuben Sandwich' : The Low Carb/Keto Way

The Reuben sandwich is an American hot sandwich composed of corned beef, Swiss cheese, sauerkraut, and Russian dressing, grilled between slices of rye bread. There are several possible origins of this sandwich, one being that Reuben Kulakofsky, a Jewish Lithuanian-born grocer residing in Omaha, Nebraska, was the inventor, but there are also possible others and you can read more about them here


This low carb one-skillet/pan wonder is inspired by the classic Reuben sandwich. So get ready for an easy, cheesy, tangy adventure, complete with well-spiced corned beef - all of the flavour and very few of the carbs!

Ingredients:
Serves Two
3g carb per serving
2 tablespoons butter
2⁄3 lb / 300 g corned beef
9 oz. / 250 g sauerkraut, drained
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
½ cup / 125 ml mayonnaise
4 oz. / 110 g Swiss cheese
1 dill pickle

If you prefer:
You can substitute pastrami, deli roast beef, sliced turkey or cooked brisket.
Muenster and mozzarella are mild substitutes for Swiss cheese.
Please see cooking instructions at Diet Doctor site here 



Sauerkraut is used in this recipe, it is a good form of dietary fibre and contains Vitamins C and K, potassium, calcium and phosphorus. Sauerkraut is essentially fermented cabbage. Fermentation is a method of preserving food that dates back more than 2,000 years. During the fermentation process, beneficial probiotics, or ‘live bacteria’, are produced, and these probiotics are what give sauerkraut most of its health benefits.

You can read much more about sauerkraut including its health benefits here

... and as it's the start of the week I wish all readers a


All the best Jan

34 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

This sounds gorgeous! Hugs, Valerie

Barbara said...

Hi Jan, that sounds yummy! Thanks for the recipe.
Have a good week.

Tom said...

...looks great!

eileeninmd said...

Hello, what a great idea. It looks delicious! Happy Monday, enjoy your day and new week!

baili said...

name is difficult of that ingredient though but sounds incredibly beneficial for health Jan.
thank you for sharing wonderful recipe

Christine said...

It looks and sounds delicious.

Rose said...

I didn't realize sauerkraut had such health benefits--good to know. The reuben is my husband's favorite sandwich!

DMS said...

This looks delicious! I don't eat meat anymore- but I loved Reubens when I did. :)
~Jess

Jo said...

I've never heard of this before but it sounds delicious, I must give it a try.

Practical Parsimony said...

I am allergic to all mammal products, wheat, and cannot eat fermented food. But, that is mouth-watering. I do eat a bit of pork, eat some cheese, and a bit of white bread, NO whole wheat. Giving up white bread will be easy. I found this blog yesterday and to overcome diabetes, I am listening to you carefully!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

I like the idea of making a famous Reuben sandwich Jan, I would probably swap the corned beef but everything else would stay.. might make them when my Sydney famille come over at Christmas, they are such foodies 😀

Debby Ray said...

This looks absolutely scrumptious...I love me a Reuben sandwich and I will definitely be giving this a try...in fact, I have some left over sauerkraut and polish kielbasa in the fridge that I am going to warm up in the skillet and add some swiss cheese!

William Kendall said...

I'd swap out the rye bread. I've always disliked the taste of that type of bread.

Of course, is it still a Reuben without the rye?

Carol Blackburn said...

Awesome, a new one for my recipe book. I'll pull this one out when I am in a bind as what to make. Thanks.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Yum---I'd love that dish since I love Reuben Sandwiches... BUT--I'm the only one in my family who likes Sauerkraut ---so if I make that dish I'd have to put it in small containers and save it only for ME!!!!! ha

Thanks for sharing...
Hugs,
Betsy

Lisa said...

Melted cheese ticks all the boxes on it's own!
Have a great week Jan.
Has the movie arrived?
Lisa x

Elephant's Child said...

Not tempted today. Sauerkraut was the subject of battles over the dinner table growing up (we had to eat what was put in front of us). And old memories sting.

Bill said...

That sandwich looks so delicious. The only ingredient I would leave off it would be sauerkraut.

JFM said...

Jan, this is another winning recipe! Thank you so much!

Hugs ☃

Lee said...

Looks and sounds very tasty. I've not had sauerkraut in ages...and I do like it. It's so very good for the gut, too. I'll have to get some.

Often when I'm having cabbage as a vegetable accompaniment, slice it thinly, pour a little vinegar over it, add in finely chopped onion and some crushed/minced garlic, a little salt and freshly ground pepper...then let it sit (uncooked) for an hour or so before cooking it (not overcooking it).

This N That said...

My husband used to love that sandwich..I'm not a fan of sauerkraut...;) Have a wonderful Thanksgiving..

Mary Kirkland said...

What a great idea. I would eat that.

Martha said...

What a great recipe. I've actually never had a Reuben sandwich!

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

This does look good, Jan - I used to enjoy these all the time, but haven't had one in a while. The benefits of sauerkraut make it worth trying again! xx Karen

Anonymous said...

Nice to know about this new recipe!

Margaret D said...

Interesting and looks nice.

Marco Luijken said...

Hello Jan,
That is looking very well.
And so nice how you've decorated on your pictures. Well done!!

Greetings, Marco

happyone said...

This looks very good. mmmm

Debbie said...

this sounds do-able. i get these minus the sauerkraut and people always look at me funny!!!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I'll have to try this recipe. We love Reubens but we watch our salt intake too. Our on trip we had a cold Reuben and it has coleslaw ...lower salt...and it was GOOD! Hugs!

Conniecrafter said...

I can't say I care for reuben sandwiches but my husband totally loves them!

Franziska Spritzler said...

This sounds amazing, Jan! I'll definitely be trying this recipe and sharing it with my mom, as reuben sandwiches are her favorite :)

Thank you for this fantastic idea.

All the best to you and Eddie,

Franziska

Lisabella Russo said...

Sauerkraut looks interesting, thanks for the introduction to it.

Magic Love Crow said...

Sounds sooo good!! Thank you!!! Big Hugs!