Total Pageviews

Thursday 28 March 2019

Is keto a cure for COPD? Or are we getting a little too excited about possible benefits?


Bret Scher, MD FACC writes:
"As covered in Yahoo Lifestyle, pulmonologist Dr. Raymond Casciari is promoting the use of a keto diet to help people with COPD (chronic obstructive lung disease, or emphysema). Although there are no published studies to back his claim, he cites his clinical experience with his patients improving. 

He hypothesizes that since burning fat for fuel creates less carbon dioxide than does burning glucose, our bodies do not have to work as hard to expel that carbon dioxide through the lungs when in ketosis. This creates a potential mechanism for why a keto diet could help people with COPD breathe better, but we are still missing the all-important evidence. 

Could there be other explanations? Of course. As we know, a keto diet is effective for weight loss and improving energy in general. These effects could also lead to improved breathing. 

It was interesting to see Dr. Albert Rizzo, chief medical officer of the American Lung Association, acknowledge keto as potentially helpful for COPD, while acknowledging that this is based on patient anecdotes, not studies. 

It is certainly premature to claim that a keto diet is beneficial for COPD. However, we can see a trend that helping people lose weight and feel better can impact their health in many different ways. I look forward to more data in the future helping guide the use of nutritional ketosis as treatment for multiple disease processes."

Words and picture above from an article on Diet Doctor site here


COPD stands for Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and is the name for a group of lung conditions that cause breathing difficulties. Please read more here

You will find a variety of articles and recipe ideas within this blog, not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues please take these into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

16 comments:

Lady Caer Morganna said...

To be honest, I really do not know very much about Keto diets - very little actually. Thanks for the info!!!

Ygraine said...

I know absolutely nothing about keto diets either, so I will learn as much as I can.
I do know that my diet isn't as healthy as I would like it to be...I think I eat too many fatty and sugary foods. I guess I could be categorised as a comfort food fanatic!😕
Thank you for this interesting post!😊

JFM said...

Always interesting info here for those of us who enjoy learning...thank you Jan~

David M. Gascoigne, said...

There seems to be a lot of discussion about a Keto diet these days, with strong opinions on both sides. I have a good friend who is on it and he seems to be doing well, but it sometimes seems counter intuitive to see him eat butter by the spoonful!

Lowcarb team member said...

Dear Reader - just a thought!

You may be interested, and find the links below helpful.

More information on Keto here
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto

More information about low carb here
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb

Introduction to low-carb for beginners here
https://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.com/2016/05/introduction-to-low-carb-for-beginners.html

Many thanks to all for sharing your thoughts and comments, both on this post and all other posts.

All the best Jan

Christine said...

Interesting.

William Kendall said...

Fascinating!

sheila 77 said...

It's no surprise to me that eating healthily can cure ailments or at the very least help or prevent disease. The drug companies have caused so many problems.
Thanks for all your great posts on these matters.

Diane said...

Enjoyed reading your posted article Jan. Thanks for the information.

Hugs Diane

DUTA said...

Losing weight certainly helps solving certain health issues. It has helped me with my knees. COPD is a very life-limiting illness; anything that can help alleviate it is great.

Pink Rose said...

Hi Jan thankyou for this information,i have COPD now i am off to read your links,thankyou for sharing my friend xx

Teresa said...

Interesante reportaje. Besitos.

baili said...

thank you for another interesting and useful post dear Jan!

i have realized that after my gallbladder surgery my hunger has lessen to quite extent and i don't know the reasons

i have to put effort to eat my 3 time meals which is weird as i never thought it will happen to me
i was always fond of eating much

Jeanie said...

A very interesting post, Jan. I don't know either, if it would be effective long term or not, but it certainly merits some thought!

Thanks for your visits! So delightful to see you checking out the Cotswolds with me!

Chris Lally said...

God bless you for posting this, Jan.
My father died from COPD. I would not wish his suffocating, agonizing death on my worst enemy.

Magic Love Crow said...

Very interesting! Thank you!