Total Pageviews

Thursday 7 March 2019

Parsley : A herb with health benefits

Autumn Enloe MS RD LD writes:
"Parsley is a popular herb often used in American, European, and Middle Eastern cooking. It’s commonly used to elevate the flavour of dishes like soups, salads, and fish recipes. Aside from its many culinary uses, parsley is highly nutritious and has been shown to have many powerful health benefits. This article reviews parsley and how this impressive herb may benefit your health.



Rich in Nutrients 
Parsley contains several important nutrients, such as vitamins A, K, and C. It’s also a good source of the minerals calcium, iron, magnesium, and potassium.
May Improve Blood Sugar 
Elevated blood sugar levels can increase your risk of conditions like diabetes or metabolic syndrome. Some rat studies found parsley to effectively reduce blood sugar levels. 
Can Benefit Heart Health 
Parsley contains carotenoid antioxidants and vitamin C — both of which have been shown to benefit heart health. 
May Aid Kidney Health 
Parsley may help keep your kidneys healthy by fighting inflammation and reducing high blood pressure and your risk of kidney stones. 
Other Potential Benefits 
Parsley has antibacterial properties and may help support bone health, boost your immune system, and enhance liver health. 
Easy to Add to Your Diet 
Parsley is a versatile herb that’s easy to add to many dishes. 
Here are some ways to add parsley to your diet:
Use as a garnish on pasta or soups.
Chop and add to salads.
Use in egg bakes or frittatas.
Make a pesto with pine nuts, olive oil, parmesan cheese, and fresh parsley.
Add to smoothies for a nutrient and flavour boost.
Use on homemade pizza.
Add to homemade bread.
Use in homemade juices.
Add flavour to sauces, soups and stews.
Incorporate into marinades and dressings. 
Use to flavour fish, poultry, and meat dishes. 
How to Store Parsley 
To best store: 
Fresh parsley, you first need to remove the bottom of the stem. Do not rinse. Fill a glass or jar halfway with water and place the stem ends into the water. If you keep the plant in the refrigerator, it’s best to loosely cover it with a plastic bag. Otherwise, parsley can be kept at room temperature. Change the water every couple of days and discard the herb once the leaves start turning brown. This way, your herb may stay fresh for up to two weeks. 
Dried parsley, can last in an airtight container in a cool, dark environment for six months to one year. 
The Bottom Line 
Rich in antioxidants and nutrients like vitamins A, K, and C, parsley may improve blood sugar and support heart, kidney, and bone health. What's more, this herb can easily be added to many tasty dishes. Parsley stays fresh for up to two weeks, whereas dried parsley may last up to a year. Adding parsley to your diet can boost your health while adding flavour to your favourite recipes." 
The above is only a snippet of Autumn's article, read it in full with all related links here

I wonder do you like parsley? Do you use it in your recipes? 

Dear reader, you will find a variety of articles and recipes ideas within this blog, but please note, not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

41 comments:

William Kendall said...

I can't recall if I've ever had it.

Chris Lally said...

Parsley - that's good stuff:) It just tastes so fresh & clean!

peppylady (Dora) said...

It real good in soups.
Coffee is on

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

I love parsley. I grow it. I eat it....I can enjoy it just by itself, but also in soups and salads and with scrambled eggs and quiche...It adds to everything! And in the garden it can keep green for a long time and be cut in winter, sometimes. Parsley is a blessing and a joy! I am in my 70s and have felt this way since I was quite a young child.

Iris Flavia said...

Off to get some parsley in a pot again, now that I´m back home. I love this, my family always had it, too.
There is a joke by ... oh, I can´t remember, it showed two cavemen with a meal and one said "don´t eat parsley, just for good looking!" ;-)

Linda said...

It's good for freshening your breath. I remember when restaurants always served a spring of parsley on your dinner plate. It's rarely done here these days, sadly.

Valerie-Jael said...

A wonderful herb which I always have to hand. I often freeze it, too. Valerie

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

It's ironic that here in the states, it is used as a decoration, rather than an herb when served in restaurants. People are always surprised when I eat it, but it cleans the palette, especially if you have just had a heavy meal and are waiting for dessert.

mamasmercantile said...

I use it a lot. I grow it in the garden, hang it to dry and then continue using it throughout the winter.

Jo said...

Parsley must be one of the most popular herbs, even I use it yet I don't use many other herbs. It's good to know it has so many benefits.

Sue (this n that) said...

I definitely don't use our fresh parsley often enough! Thanks for the reminder Jan :D)

Ygraine said...

Gosh, I had no idea parsley had so many uses and health benefits. That is amazing...and to think, I can't remember the last time I used it!
Well that is about to change now!!
Thank you so much for this valuable info.😊😊

Lee said...

My poor Italian parsley...flat-leaf parsley...keeps trying to grow...and my @#$%^&@$ landlord keeps spraying it, I have it in two polystyrene boxes up against my wall out of everyone's way...and yet he claims to be a "gardener"!!! Say no more!!

mxtodis123 said...

I use parsley in most of my cooking for its benefits. I love it, especially in soups.

Miss Val's Creations said...

We need to add parsley to our herb collection. Currently we only have basil, dill and thyme. I love putting fresh herbs to my salads and parsley would be a great addition!

sandy said...

I'm sharing this with the chef. He puts parsley on a lot of things. Good to know all the benefits.

Mary Kirkland said...

I've had it a few times but I don't use it regularly.

Out on the prairie said...

A standard in any dish, I also plant extra to attract swallowtail butterflies, they use it as a host plant for their eggs.

Tom said...

...I didn't know all of this.

DeniseinVA said...

My mother used to use a lot of parsley in her cooking. This is a great article, thanks Jan.

Betty J. Crow said...

I don't use parsley often, unless a recipe calls for it, but I believe I will start adding it to salads. Good place to start.

Christine said...

I should use it more.

NanaDiana said...

I use parsley quite often and like the flavor it adds. I used to grow my own but haven't had a garden in a few years now...maybe next year. xo Diana

sage said...

I love parsley--and can eat it by itself after a meal.

www.thepulpitandthepen.com

Jeanie said...

I adore parsley and use it often! Grow it, too. Thanks for recognizing it!

DUTA said...

Impressive herb indeed. I use it mainly in soups as my Mother used to do and make sure that I always have it around.

Sara - Villa Emilia said...

I ❤ parsley. Having it growing in the greenhouse and on the windowsill greatly improves the quality of life. :)
Wishing you all a happy weekend!

John R said...

I use herbs every day when I'm cooking. Parsley is one of my favourites; good to know it has health benefits, too.

Love Affair with Food said...

Thank you for this post. I'm going to include parsley in my diet now!

eileeninmd said...

I think I am going to try to grow parsley and other herbs this summer. I was growing mint but I would like to use more fresh herbs. Enjoy your day!

Teresa said...

Muy interesante. Besitos.

DMS said...

I like parsley- but I hadn't realized how good it was for me. :) Wonderful to know!
~Jess

Amy Purdy said...

I use parsley a lot for that little pop of color it gives to the food.

Sami said...

I grow parsley in my garden, but don't often use it. Will have to use it more. Thanks Jan.

Lady Caer Morganna said...

I love parsley and I use it in my meals every chance I get!

Snowbird said...

I must grow more parsley! xxx

Jenn Jilks said...

I have some dried, I bet it's not the same, though. sigh.

Magic Love Crow said...

Excellent post! Thank you Jan! Big Hugs!

baili said...

mom used to grow parsley in her garden for years

we use this herb in our daily dishes regularly

i love to have it as salad either

Bob Bushell said...

I love Parsley, I love also things that make well. One up for Parsley.

Anonymous said...

Parsley, scientifically referred to as Petroselinum crispum, is commonly used as a vegetable, herb, and spice. It is a flowering plant originating from the Mediterranean region and is commonly used in European, American, and Middle Eastern dishes. Parsley can be divided into three styles in general: curled leaf, flat-leaf, and Hamburg.
Read Full article: https://healthzex.com/nutrition/parsley-benefits/