Total Pageviews

Monday 17 June 2019

Looking for Brain-Boosting Foods ... plus a brain-boosting smoothie


If you’re feeling like your brain is foggy, slow and you’re finding it hard to remember things and generally keep on top of your day-to-day life, you might need to add more of these brain-boosting foods to your diet.

1. Water 
Your body is 70% water, your brain is 70% water and you want to be able to hydrate that. Your brain is only about 2% of your body mass but it requires 20% of the nutrients so keep that water up!

2. Avocados 
Containing good, healthy fats, avocados increase a number of different feel-good chemicals in the brain. Avocados are also a good source of Omega-3 fatty acids that assist with brain function, mood regulation, and emotions.

3. Blueberries 
These 'brain berries' are full of anthocyanins. Blueberries provide anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects which help combat brain aging and neurodegenerative diseases and also supports improved communication between brain cells.

4. Broccoli 
Your mum was right! Broccoli is good for your health and for your brain because it is high in antioxidants as well as Vitamin K so it helps protect the brain against damage and helps with better memory function. 


5. Coconut Oil 
The fatty acids in coconut oil are good for your brain and have even been linked to supporting people with Alzheimer’s Disease.

6. Eggs 
There are a number of reasons why eggs are great for the brain, with essential fatty acids, Vitamins B6 and B12, folate and choline, which help to regulate mood, memory and cognitive function.

7. Green Leafy Vegetables 
Containing large amounts of folate, green leafy vegetables and spinach, in particular, can help reduce symptoms of depression and are very neuroprotective.

8. Wild Salmon 
The Omega-3 fatty acids in wild salmon (and sardines) are good for the brain. If you’re not getting enough of this essential fatty acid you may notice a cognitive decline, emotional imbalances and mood issues.

9. Turmeric 
Turmeric, extremely good for the brain with great anti-inflammatory properties. Curcumin, the active ingredient in turmeric helps to improve memory, ease depression and help new brain cells grow. 

10. Walnuts 
Nuts, and in particular Walnuts improve cognition and memory and slow mental decline. Even if you notice, we look at a walnut, it looks like what? It looks like the human brain. Walnuts also contain Omega-3 fatty acids so there’s double the reason to enjoy these nuts for brain health. 

11. Dark Chocolate 
Saving the best for last, eat dark chocolate for your brain (and your taste buds!). Dark chocolate boosts concentration, mood and actually improves blood flow to the brain. The darker the chocolate, the better! 

Words and picture above taken from article, with all related research links, here

How about trying this smoothie for a boost of morning energy and brain-boosting power! 
Brain Boosting Smoothie:
Ingredients:
1/2 of an avocado
1/4 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
1 tbsp. coconut oil
1 handful of green leafy vegetables (spinach, kale)
A small handful of walnuts (soaked overnight)
1 tbsp. raw cacao
1-2 cups of nut milk of choice or coconut water
Method:
Blend until smooth and creamy!

Recipe for smoothie:
taken from an article here
For help with weight/measurement conversion:
please see here

You will find a variety of articles and recipe ideas within this blog, and not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

29 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Lots of wonderful and tasty foods. Valerie

Elephant's Child said...

I am pleased to say that I eat most of the foods on this list. The last requires a bit more moderation though.

Bill said...

These are wonderful suggestions and I already eat some of them.

Catarina said...

I love smoothies!

Sandi said...

I love all of these things!

William Kendall said...

I do eat some of them.

aussie aNNie said...

Brilliant, love this and the foods I too love, though not much on any chocolate but one can change.

Miss Val's Creations said...

Water is a big one for me. My head starts aching when I haven't been drinking enough. That smoothie does sound delicious and so healthy!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

My hubby eats every one of these! How interesting! I can't have the dark chocolate but most of the others! I love these lists! It helps us to make sure we are eating the right foods to be healthy!

Christine said...

Nice list, thanks.

Tom said...

...I eat a majority of these.

Dewena said...

I am so lucky to like and to eat all of these foods. In fact, I think I've had all of them recently. You'd think I would be brilliant, wouldn't you?

Chatty Crone said...

I copied it and am going to make this!

Iris Flavia said...

Some I eat already :-)
I´ll try this smoothie, thank you!!

mamasmercantile said...

All foods that I enjoy. I must admit to not drinking enough water.

Margaret D said...

How interesting.
Thank goodness I eat most of those, should be good for a person my age.

Jo said...

I like most of those things so I think it's just a case of getting bigger quantities into my diet.

mxtodis123 said...

Lots of good healthy foods.

CJ Kennedy said...

I could use a brain boost. The smoothie sounds delicious.

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

I know some people who could use a brain boost.

baili said...

thank you for GREAT and informative sharing dear Jan!
it is always helpful indeed to read your posts
blessings!

Sami said...

I'll have to try that smoothie. I eat all of those on the list, but I'm bad with the water, and have a reminder on my fridge door to drink more water!

Sue said...

All nice foods but I MUST drink more water. I do like water but always tend to drink coffee. Thanks for the reminder x

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I was watching a show on Keto diets yesterday and EVERY item on that list was mentioned. I was so impressed with this. I bought several avocados this week, some blueberries, and wild caught salmon. I'm all ready to try eating healthy. I always have broccoli on hand.

Little Wandering Wren said...

Love the broccoli brain image! I would love this smoothie.

Lisabella Russo said...

What an excellent list, thank you!

A Casa Madeira said...

Super interessante!
Boa continuação de semana.

Lee said...

Oh! Dear! My brain must be bursting! Those on the list are regularly ingested by me...except for the coconut oil. I'm an extra-virgin olive oil fan.user! :)

Arooba said...

The information provided is extremely easy and understandable.. Need more of these articles as Brain is very important to keep ourselves active and healthy
Health