Total Pageviews

Saturday 15 June 2019

Some Foods In Season During June



What's in season in June

June, in the UK, marks the true start of summer, bringing with it plenty of fresh seasonal fruit and vegetables to enjoy. Bright crisp radishes and salad leaves add punchy flavour to salads and sides, while broccoli is a reliable addition to any easy summer dinner. The abundance of fresh summer fruit means desserts require minimal effort – big bowls of strawberries and double (heavy) cream are all you need for a delicious way to finish a meal.

Strawberries
These iconic berries are at their best from now until September. Store them unwashed in the fridge but bring to room temperature before eating to maximise their sweet flavour. I enjoy eating some with double (heavy) cream.
You may wish to try:
Strawberries with sugar free and low carb Vanilla Ice Cream - see details here
Strawberry Cheesecake - see details here
Low Carb Strawberry Sponge Cake (made in the microwave) - see details here
Triple Berry Summer Salad - see details here

Redcurrants
Delicate, jewel-like redcurrants grow in small bunches and have a sweet, tart flavour that mellows when cooked. They are popular served with lamb and also feature in Swedish cuisine.
You may wish to try:
Low Carb Redcurrant Muffins - see details here
Lamb chops with redcurrant Jus - see details here

Radishes
Their crisp texture, vibrant colour and peppery flavour makes radishes a popular addition to salads. Choose radishes that feel firm and smooth. Once opened, store wrapped in kitchen paper in the fridge. To refresh radishes that have become soft, soak in a bowl of cold water for a couple of hours.
You may wish to try:
Salmon, Cucumber and Radish Salad - see details here
Crunchy green beans with radishes - see details here

Salad leaves
Fresh salad leaves are a quick, easy and delicious way to be healthy throughout summer. From peppery watercress and rocket to buttery lettuces and bitter radicchio, salads can be endlessly versatile depending on your favourite leaves. Look for fresh, bright leaves and avoid any that are wilted or have brown edges. Add extra flavour with bold vinaigrettes or whizz into soups and smoothies. Salad leaves are not only enjoyed raw ...
You may wish to try:
Braised lettuce with crème fraîche and bacon - see details here 
Avocado and lettuce soup - see details here

Cornish potatoes
The Cornish potato* season runs from late June to August, and begins as Jersey Royals finish. Cornwall's unique warmer climate means farmers can plant and harvest potatoes much earlier than the rest of the UK mainland. Most of the nutrients are found in the thin skin, so leave them on when baking.
You may wish to try:
Baked Cornish potatoes with melted Brie and pickles – see details here 

Please remember if you are living a Keto or LCHF lifestyle it is best to avoid starchy foods like bread, pasta, rice, *potatoes, chips, crisps, porridge, muesli, foods containing processed flour and so on.

'Wholegrain products' are just less bad. Moderate amounts of root vegetables (carrots, parsnips) may be ok (unless you’re eating extremely low carb/keto). Please read our 'Introduction to low-carb for beginners' post for more information, it can be found here

I wonder what would be your favourite from the above?
Mine is strawberries ...

Dear reader, you will find a variety of articles, studies etc. plus recent news/views and recipe ideas within this blog, we hope something for everyone to read and enjoy ... but please note, not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

31 comments:

Lorrie said...

Our fresh produce is on the same schedule as yours - strawberries, greens, radishes. I've picked a few early raspberries for our morning yogurt recently, too. Such a wonderful time of year.

Elephant's Child said...

I try and eat seasonal foods. They taste better and cost less. And reduce 'food miles' as well.

Christine said...

A wonderful time of year, thanks for this information.

Tom said...

...it's nice to see the earth's bounty starting to show up at local farms.

Martha said...

Lots of goodies this time of year. We are enjoying a lot of strawberries. lately.

Anonymous said...

I’m allergic to strawberries😢 but I love potatoes, sweet potatoes, baked, yum!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I bought my first container of strawberries yesterday. I like them plain with nothing else. Just washed and blotted with paper towel, then plopped in my mouth. I suspect this is the first of many containers I will buy while they are in season.

Carla from The River said...

We just harvested our first radish of the season. I made a veggie relish with green pepper, radish, cucumber, tomato, chives and parsley. It was wonderful.

Carla from The River said...

Hello,
I harvested our radish today. :-) I made a veggie relish. I used radish,cucumber,green pepper,tomatoes, chives and parsley. It is very tasty.

Chatty Crone said...

I am trying to incorporate these foods in my diet.

Valerie-Jael said...

Lots of yummy things today. Valerie

Iris Flavia said...

Strawberries, wood-strawberries my Mum and I got from the woods when I was 2 1/2. I brought them to my new hometown, they grow and are delicious and always remind me of her (she left 2011, as cancer won)...

CJ Kennedy said...

You had me at strawberries with whipped cream.

Jo said...

Definitely strawberries for me. They're the thing I miss most from my allotment.

Nadezda said...

I do love salad leaves and other greenness dressing by olive oil. I think it's very healthy food, Jan.

mxtodis123 said...

Doing some shopping today and many of these are on my list.

Ygraine said...

Oh Jan...you have me craving redcurrants now...I haven't tasted any of these for many years!
All these other foods are so delicious too...especially strawberries. I really like making strawberry shortcake (sorry, waistline! Lol).
Another fabulous post...thank you so much!😊😊

Hugs xxx

Existe Sempre Um Lugar said...

Boa tarde, as frutas e legumes são o ideal para consumir e saborear, existe muitas maneiras de os consumir com sabores diferentes, sua sugestão é perfeita e saudável.
AG

Mary Kirkland said...

I bought some strawberries and radishes last week. I love radishes in salad.

Lowcarb team member said...

Existe Sempre Um Lugar said...
Boa tarde, as frutas e legumes são o ideal para consumir e saborear, existe muitas maneiras de os consumir com sabores diferentes, sua sugestão é perfeita e saudável.
AG

Google translate:
Good afternoon, the fruits and vegetables are ideal for consuming and tasting, there are many ways to consume them with different flavours, your suggestion is perfect and healthy.
AG

Snowbird said...

Ooooh, those greens and new potatoes are calling to me!xxx

JFM said...

A great time of the year for fresh fruit and veggies lll

William Kendall said...

I don't think I've heard of Cornish potatoes.

Carola Bartz said...

Definitely strawberries. I get them at the farmers market and eat them by the handful. And cherries...

Maria Rodrigues said...

Amazing post, thanks for sharing.
A big hug
Maria
Divagar Sobre Tudo um Pouco

Our photos said...

Hmmm, very tasty !

Debbie said...

YuM!! potatoes are my very most favorite, all kinds, with strawberries coming in a very close second!!!

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

The fresh veggies and fruits are awesome, I am happy with the choices right now. Happy Sunday, enjoy your day, wishing you a happy new week!

My name is Erika. said...

June food looks delicious. I wish we could get fresh red currants here in my parts of the US. Happy rest of your weekend. Hugs-Erika

mamasmercantile said...

A lovely time of year for food, strawberries are a firm favourite.

Conniecrafter said...

I am so sad I didn't get up to our local farm in time to get the strawberries this year. but my Romaine lettuce did quite well, I plan on planting more this fall, it is getting to hot out now