Total Pageviews

Sunday 30 June 2019

Salad Days ... mean lettuce !

Here in the Northern Hemisphere most of us are experiencing warm summer days. In fact for some the weather has been extremely hot! If you are like me, at this time of year, when considering my LCHF menu plans my thoughts nearly always turn to wonderful salads and lettuce! 

"Lettuce are available in a vast number of varieties, and are either crisp or floppy, growing from a central stalk to form a spherical or lozenge-like head. Most of them have green leaves, some with red tinges, and they all have a delicate, clean flavour. 

Lettuce is mainly eaten raw in salads, though you can also add them to soups or braise them as a side dish. Crisp leaves work well with robustly flavoured dressings, while the floppier types need to be partnered with something more subtle.




Among the most commonly available floppy lettuces in the UK are Round, Butterhead, Lollo Rosso, Escarole, Oak Leaf and Little Gem. Crisp include Iceberg, Cos, Curly Endive (also known as Frisée), Web's Wonder and Romaine.

Availability 
All year round. British lettuce are in season from early May through to December. 

Choose the best 
Lettuces need to be really fresh to taste good, so avoid any that show any signs of wilting (though the outer leaves of the crisp varieties often reveal fresher leaves beneath when removed) or yellowing. 

Prepare it 
Pull off as many leaves as you need from the base, then wash, drain and shake well (but gently, as they bruise easily) to dry them. It's worthwhile investing in a salad spinner if you eat a lot of lettuce, as it dries them much more efficiently. Don't allow lettuce to soak in water, as it softens the leaves. 

Store it 
In a perforated bag in the fridge. Soft lettuces will last around one or two days, crisp varieties a day or two longer. 

Cook it 
Dress and serve in a salad. Shred and add to a spring or summer vegetable soup just before the end of cooking. Braise with peas (20-30 minutes). Brush with marinade, then grill halved crisp lettuces like Romaine on a barbecue, three minutes each side. 

Alternatives 

For more lettuce varieties
See here

Recipe Suggestion
Garden Salad


which is crunchy, herby and fresh
and dressed with a light garlic and parsley vinaigrette
recipe details are here

A variety of articles and recipe ideas are within this blog, but please note, not all may be suitable for you.

If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

25 comments:

Tom said...

...and lettuce is in season here!

NanaDiana said...

You will laugh at this. I grew up on a farm and when my mother served us lettuce she served it sprinkled with sugar...and so started my sugar addiction. lol Have a great night-xo Diana

Lowcarb team member said...

NanaDiana said...
You will laugh at this. I grew up on a farm and when my mother served us lettuce she served it sprinkled with sugar...and so started my sugar addiction. lol Have a great night-xo Diana

Hello Diana
Many thanks for sharing this. Interestingly I'd come across Lettuce Leaves served with Vinegar and Sugar, read and see more here:
https://discoverlaura.wordpress.com/2017/09/08/pioneer-cooking-lettuce-leaves-with-vinegar-and-sugar/

Enjoy your evening

All the best Jan

Elephant's Child said...

Love salads, and consume them year round. Lettuce is a summer trend, and I probably need to eat more of it.

Miss Val's Creations said...

I eat a garden salad almost every day for lunch in the summer. I usually top them with some walnuts and feta but change up those toppings from time to time to liven it up.

CJ Kennedy said...

When I was a kid, my mother bought her fruits and vegetables from a corner shop in East Boston where my grandmother and auntie lived. Anna, the vegetable lady, told my mother to wrap the lettuce in waxed paper to keep it fresh longer.

Margaret D said...

We eat a lot of salads and yes in winter too.

Iris Flavia said...

Salad with sugar??? Huhhh ;-)

Azka Kamil said...

nice article..
thank for sharing

Valerie-Jael said...

Lettuce is always good! Have a great week, Valerie

Sami said...

It's a year round staple in my house. Thanks Jan

Jo said...

I'm eating lots of salads at the moment, especially when the weather's warmer.

Teresa said...

En mi huerto tengo muy buenas lechugas. Besitos.

mamasmercantile said...

I love this time of year when lettuce and salad is in abundance in the garden.

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

mmmmmmm you just got me in the mood for a giant plate of antipasti

Carol Blackburn said...

A most wonderful food. I found Butter Lettuce last year and it is most excellent. Because I do love to crunch.......the not-so-adored ice berg lettuce is usually always in my house. Have a great week!

Lowcarb team member said...

Teresa said...
En mi huerto tengo muy buenas lechugas. Besitos

Google translate:
In my garden I have very good lettuces. Kisses.

peppylady (Dora) said...

Salad are sure fun, it all the variety of things you can toss in.
Coffee is on

Snowbird said...

Goodness, I never thought of cooking lettuce, I must find out more. The things you learn eh?xxx

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hello, We love salads --using a variety of lettuce... My favorite is Romaine, but I love Spinach and Endive in my salads also. The only lettuce I do not care for is iceburg....

YUM---gotta run, and fix myself a big salad!!!!!!

Hugs,
Betsy

Rain said...

Hey Jan :) I FINALLY have some lettuce! I made a vow a few years back that I will never buy lettuce again and I've been growing it every year. I start baby lettuce in my window in April so basically we go without salads from about November through to May which is sad! But the ones I buy at the stores always give me indigestion, pesticides maybe? Even the organic ones...one day I have a dream of a winter greenhouse so I can have fresh lettuces, tomatoes and herbs year-round!!

Jeanie said...

Love salads and just about every type of lettuce. And it's salad season!

William Kendall said...

I tend to get lettuce as part of a sandwich or panini.

Magic Love Crow said...

Thank you Jan! Great post! I love lettuce! Big Hugs!

sandy said...

For me - Cesar Salad - is the best~~~~besides my spinach salad i have almost every day with lots of veggies in it...cut up small so I don't know I'm eating them, lol.