Total Pageviews

Friday 21 June 2019

Fishmongers ... and a nice plate of buttery sea bass fillets with cider-braised greens

Did you know that "A fishmonger (fishwife for female practitioners) is someone who sells raw fish and seafood. Fishmongers can be wholesalers or retailers, and are trained at selecting and purchasing, handling, gutting, boning, filleting, displaying, merchandising and selling their product. In some countries modern supermarkets are replacing fishmongers who operate in shops or fish markets. The fishmongers guild, one of the earliest guilds, was established in the City of London by a Royal Charter granted by Edward I shortly after he became king in 1272, the guild still continues today as one of the Great Twelve City Livery Companies.

16th Century Fishmonger stall
by Italian Painter Bartolomeo Passarotti

You may also like to read more about The Fishmongers’ Company one of the Twelve Great Livery Companies of the City of London, and among the most ancient of the City Guilds. For over 700 years, as well as fostering the fellowship among its members, it has upheld standards in the trading of fish and shellfish and supported the fisheries industry – roles still played today. 

It certainly has a lot of History, on Sunday 2nd September 1666, Fishmongers’ Hall was the first of forty Livery Halls to catch the flames of the Great Fire of London, and during the Second World War, on the 9th September 1940, bombs fell on all sides of the Hall, causing fire and great damage. Read more here





Now onto a light summer recipe, a delicious dinner for two, with crispy-skinned sea bass nestled into a soft bed of greens and a velvety cider butter. You can easily replace the seabass with any fish you have in the fridge. Also delicious with haddock or bream … 

Ingredients
Serves Two
6.4g Carbs per serving 
1 tsp olive oil
50g butter
2 sea bass fillets, skin lightly scored
½ Savoy cabbage, shredded
150g frozen peas
100ml cider

Method
1. Heat the olive oil and butter in a frying pan. Season the fillets, and add them to the pan, skin-side down. Fry over a high heat for 3 mins, or until the skin is crisp and the butter has started to brown. Turn the fish over and fry for 1-2 mins more, until cooked through. Remove the fillets from the pan and keep warm.
2. Add the cabbage and peas to the pan and toss to coat in the butter. Once the cabbage has wilted, pour in the cider and season well. Bring to the boil and cook for 2 mins, or until slightly reduced.
3. To serve, divide the cabbage and pea mixture between 2 plates and top each with a sea bass fillet. Drizzle over the cider butter. 
From an original idea here

Dear reader, you will find a variety of recipe ideas and articles within this blog, and not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

37 comments:

Francisco Manuel Carrajola Oliveira said...

Hummm só de olhar abriu-me o apetite, aproveito para desejar um bom fim-de-semana.

Andarilhar
Dedais de Francisco e Idalisa
Livros-Autografados

CJ Kennedy said...

Interesting to read about the Fishmongers Guild.

Valerie-Jael said...

I love fish, and fishmongers' Hall in London is a beautiful place with a lovely view of the Bridge and the Thames. Valerie

Tom said...

...I don't believe that I've ever had Sea Bass.

Natalia said...

Wow,what a beautiful dish!☺

DUTA said...

Nice, interesting briefing on the subject of fishmongers and their guild!
I like the photo accompanying it.

What would we do without fish? Such a fine,light,healthy, versatile food! Good for all seasons and all ages.
Your recipe is sheer delight!

R's Rue said...

Looks good.

Martha said...

Such a nice recipe. This reminds me that it's been ages since I made fish.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Hi Jan, I started the Keto diet two weeks ago, am loving it and pop back to look up your low carb recipes often. The chicken drumsticks last post are perfect and also delicious. How do you feel about the Keto diet?

baili said...

thank you for the informative post dear Jan!

adding cabbage in fish dish sounds new to me but i think must be nice experiment

Jo said...

Fishmongers were common when I was a child but I can't think of one shop selling only fish now. That recipe looks tasty.

Margaret D said...

How interesting to read about the Fishmongers.

My name is Erika. said...

I just bought some red snapper so I think I might try something like this for dinner tonight. Yum. And I have heard about fish mongers in books I've read but finding out about them is fascinating. I bet they came home smelly at the end of the day! Happy almost weekend-or weekend when you read this. Hugs-Erika

mamasmercantile said...

Looks delicious. We eat a lot of fish so one that I will definitely be trying.

dellgirl said...

This is some really good information, I had never heard of fishmongers until I read about it here. I learned a lot from this interesting article. Thank you for sharing this information.

Wishing you a Happy Weekend!

Angela said...

That sounds great! It looks appetizing too. I need to remember to eat more fish.

Anonymous said...

Looks wonderful ! Healthy too!

sandy said...

i know someone who would love this. It looks delicious and healthy. Interesting article.

Elephant's Child said...

Thank you for the snippets about fishmongers - and the link.
That cider butter sounds good.

Lowcarb team member said...

PerthDailyPhoto said...
Hi Jan, I started the Keto diet two weeks ago, am loving it and pop back to look up your low carb recipes often. The chicken drumsticks last post are perfect and also delicious. How do you feel about the Keto diet?

Hello Grace, many thanks for your comment and question.
For weight loss keto is brilliant. In fact The Ketogenic Diet seems to have many health benefits, including: weight loss, improving your blood (sugar) profile, increasing mental focus, treating diseases, and many more...

A low carb diet can also help you balance your blood sugar (important for those with pre-diabetes or diabetes), and many find (including me) that energy levels improve simply by reducing carbs!

As with any lifestyle or diet decision it is up to the individual to decide what will/may best be suited. What their needs are, and any underlying health problems there may be.

The keto lifestyle (diet) and the low carb lifestyle (diet) are similar.
It's really the amount of carbs that we eat that make the difference.

The Ketogenic Diet is very low in carbohydrates, moderate in protein and high in fat. It has individually-defined macronutrient ratios. Your daily calorie intake will be in the neighborhood of 65%-75% fat, 20-30% protein and about 5% carbohydrate (which is under 25g of carbs per day)

When Eddie was first diagnosed with type two diabetes after a lot of research he went on a keto menu plan … no more than 25/30g carbs per day and protein and fat as described above.

He lost weight and also his blood sugars normalised, which was wonderful. After a few weeks he found that he could up his carb intake to around 50 a day but still moderate protein and higher (healthy) fats. To this day this is what we base our menu plans on. It suits him for health/diabetes and it suits me. I am not diabetic nor do I have any underlying health problems …

There is a lot of information available about both keto and low carb on the internet.
Take these four posts/sites for example … but there are more!

Introduction For Low Carb For Beginners
https://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.com/2016/05/introduction-to-low-carb-for-beginners.html

Five Health and Fitness Tips
https://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.com/2018/01/five-health-and-fitness-tips-for-2018.html

Diet Doctor Site
https://www.dietdoctor.com/

Ditch The Carbs Site
https://www.ditchthecarbs.com/

It is important to note I am not a medical person (nor is Eddie) the posts and articles we share are for information only and many from personal experience.
It is always advisable to speak to a health care professional about any health related concerns and/or medical conditions.

The best of health to you …

All the best Jan

William Kendall said...

As I dislike seafood, I'd pass on that.

Lisabella Russo said...

Interesting information about fishmongers... Also I like the idea of combining cabbage with peas.

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

mmmmmmmmm

I'm glad it's about time for dinner.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Thanks Jan, I'm finding the keto diet so easy, have already lost 3kilos. I don't have too much more to lose but by golly it was stubbornly holding on 😊

Lowcarb team member said...

PerthDailyPhoto said...
Thanks Jan, I'm finding the keto diet so easy, have already lost 3kilos. I don't have too much more to lose but by golly it was stubbornly holding on 😊

Hello Grace
Well done on your weight loss, I'm so pleased you are finding the keto diet easy.

All the best Jan

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I love sea bass, but I've been told you have to be careful because of all the pollution, especially in the Pacific.

Linda said...

When I see the word fishmongers, I think of Molly Malone. The song says she was a fishmonger, but wasn't a wonder, her mother and father were fishmongers too.

Seems like there was a joke in that song when the Smothers Brothers sang it, but my memory is hazy.

Teresa said...

Me encanta el pescado. Buen día.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

I do not see fishmongers here, I wish they were here. The sea bass looks delicious, hubby and I have been trying to eat more fish lately. Enjoy your day and weekend. PS, thank you for visiting my blog.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I think that the term "fishmonger" has fallen into disuse in North America, if in fact it was ever widely part of the lexicon, and I doubt that many people would be familiar with the term. There is little doubt that there are fewer and fewer specialized fish stores under any name.

Phil Slade said...

You should see Jamie at Knott End fillet a Pilling Plaice. He's an artist. And the plaice are as sweet as a nut. Tomorrow evening with a glass (or two) of Prosecco.

Debbie said...

i had to google fishmonger, i don't think we have them here!!! the fish looks yummy with cider butter!!

Barb said...

I'm making sea bass tonight! I think mine will be lemon/caper.

Lee said...

Fresh bass is delicious! Yum!

Bob Bushell said...

I've gone away with fish, it is almost near vegan, except for eggs and milk.

Jenn Jilks said...

We have a lot of fish. I love it!

Conniecrafter said...

very interesting history