Total Pageviews

Tuesday 16 February 2016

Savoy Cabbage a Classic Vegetable


Savoy Cabbage, although not developed until the 16th Century, is a classic vegetable. Its attractive deep green colouring and crinkly leaves have ensured its popularity has never waned. What makes it even better is that when cooked it doesn’t emit the usual odour often associated with overcooked cabbage. 


What to look for when buying Savoy cabbage:
Savoy cabbages are at their peak from October through to February.
Savoy cabbages should have deep green, crisp outer leaves, becoming lighter towards the core. The leaves should be tightly packed together, and the overall cabbage should feel heavy for their size.

How to cook Savoy cabbage:

Shred or cut Savoy into wedges with the hard core discarded. Steam, boil or braise, add to hearty soups or stuff rolled-up whole leaves with a savoury minced meat mixture.

Savoy cabbage is a very versatile brassica as it can be prepared and cooked in a multitude of ways. It suits simple cooking methods well – it is wonderful when blanched and finished off in a hot pan with a knob of butter and some pancetta and perhaps a little garlic.

The leaves of Savoy cabbage are both attractive and fairly durable; they can be eaten raw in salads or used to wrap meat balls, or vegetarian haggis - a very British alternative to stuffed vine leaves. Simply trim down any thick, tough veins and then blanch the leaves for a couple of minutes if using to wrap.

What Savoy cabbage goes with:
When cooked, the sweet, mildly earthy flavour pairs nicely with pheasant, pork and even the humble sausage. 


Storage:
Firm Savoy cabbages will keep in a cool, dark place for up to one week.


These details and more can be found at these sites here and here

Now for a recipe suggestion - Braised Savoy cabbage with bacon



Ingredients
Serves up to 6
1 Savoy Cabbage, cored and shredded
110g/4oz smoked streaky bacon, without rind and chopped
55g/2oz butter
85ml/3fl oz dry white wine
2 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
2 tsp fennel seeds
2 tbsp creme fraiche
salt and freshly ground pepper

Method
Melt the butter in a large pan. Add the bacon and cook for 3-4 minutes.

Add the cabbage and mix all together. Add the wine and season well. Cover and cook gently for 10 minutes until the cabbage is tender.

Stir in the fennel seeds, parsley and crème fraîche and serve.

Recipe idea from here

All the best Jan

14 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello, the cabbage and bacon dish sound delicious. Thanks for sharing another great recipe.
Happy Tuesday, enjoy your day!

DeniseinVA said...

Cabbage is one of our favorite vegetables. I would love to try this recipe. Thanks so much :)

Gail said...

I have never had this but will now look for it in the larger markets. The dish sounds delicious.

I think the dogs are very happy here in their freedom. They do their jobs and are much loved.

If the rains come (we are very dry from the mild winter) flowers will be everywhere. They are trying now even in dry conditions.

I do love playing with rocks. This feature was originally made for Dad who had Alzheimer's. I put goldfish there and he would sit for hours on this bench watching the fish surrounded by his rock collection. He was in construction so in a few weeks he began "dirt work" and built an intricate series of canals to carry the flood waters away. We allowed him to work even though it temporarily changed the area because he was happy in the doing.

Now the garden contained his rocks and ours. It is pet friendly so the animals have easy access to the water. I am working on the other side today.

The stump, after removing the bad material is still good so it waits for its new position and still can hold me safely.

Have a blessed day.

Jo said...

I love savoy cabbage. I often look back and remember my parents telling me to eat my greens, I was never a veggie fan when I was a child, but I love them now. I think greens, cabbage, kale etc. are a favourite.

Debbie said...

YuM...it doesn't look real ;)

Lowcarb team member said...

Eileen
Yes, the Savoy cabbage and bacon do work well together, a nice mix.

Also Brussels Sprouts and Bacon go well together, and can make a nice change, see here
http://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.co.uk/2015/10/buttered-sprouts-with-pancetta.html

Many thanks for your comment - hope the rest of your week goes well

All the best Jan

Lowcarb team member said...

Denise
Isn't cabbage great and there are quite a few varieties to use / try.
Hope you may get to enjoy this recipe idea soon ...

Many thanks for your comment, enjoy the remainder of the week

All the best Jan

Lowcarb team member said...

Gail
I hope you may find this type of Cabbage in your local markets, the cabbage and bacon mix work so well together.

Your dogs look so happy playing together in the water.

I hope you do get some rain soon (not too much - just the right amount) but those flowers were lovely to see. Nature never ceases to amaze me ...

Your rocks post was lovely to read, and now I know more about your Dad it means even more. My dear mum had Alzheimer's the most cruel-lest of diseases ... we had lost her long before she passed away. God bless her, she was such a special person.

As I said in my comment - I was pleased you kept the stump.

For any other readers who have not visited Gail's blog, you can find it here
http://gailatthefarm.blogspot.co.uk/

Well, my blogging friend, I hope the rest of the week goes well for you.
Do take care

All the best Jan

Lowcarb team member said...

Jo
Yes, I too can remember my parents saying the same ... and I said the same to our children.

Now, it is rewarding to see the grandchildren tucking into their vegetables ... I have to say Broccoli, carrots, peas, sweetcorn are their most favourite, but they always try their best to empty their plates, it's lovely to see.

Do hope your week is going well - I can't believe it's Wednesday tomorrow!

All the best Jan

Lowcarb team member said...

Debbie
Yum it is ...
And I can assure you it's real!

Hope all is well - enjoy the rest of your week

All the best Jan

Dewena said...

I love Savoy cabbage but it is hard to find it here except at specialty stores. Maybe there will be more of it with St. Patrick's day approaching. I even love Savoy as a centerpiece!

Lowcarb team member said...

Dewena
Yes - of course these lovely vegetable are not always readily available. I hope that nearer to St Patrick's day you will be fortunate to get some... it will soon be here, 17th March.

'Some of the more traditional foods eaten on Saint Patrick’s Day include soda bread, cabbage, corned beef, Irish stew, colcannon potatoes, green beer and pots-o-gold, (a chocolate dessert).'

Enjoy the rest of your week

All the best Jan

Kim said...

I'm no cook, Jan, but every recipe you post makes me want to be! I pass them on to my husband. He's the chef around here. Dewena's centerpiece idea is probably much more realistic for this crafty girl!! ;-)

Lowcarb team member said...

Kim
Well be sure to pass this recipe idea on ... and yes, as you are certainly the expert at beautiful crafts, I suggest you lay up the table, I'm sure it will be exquisite!!!
Many thanks for your comment - enjoy the rest of the week

All the best Jan