So why not take yourself on holiday to Mallorca in the comfort of your own kitchen with this dish of layers of roasted vegetables. This recipe is by 'The Hairy Bikers.' The Hairy Bikers are "David Myers and Simon King, two northern blokes with a passion for cooking and food."
up to 200ml/7fl oz olive oil
2 medium courgettes (zucchini), cut into 2cm/¾in slices
500g/1lb 2oz large waxy potatoes (such as Charlotte), thinly sliced (around 3mm/⅛in) - you may prefer to swap with swede for a lower carb choice
2 roasted red peppers (from a jar), cut into strips
small bunch fresh oregano
small bunch fresh basil
For the sauce
2 tbsp olive oil
4 garlic cloves, crushed
400g/14oz ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped
1 tsp dried thyme
salt and freshly ground black pepper
pinch sugar (optional)
3. Pour a 5mm/¼in thick layer of olive oil in the base of a large, heavy-based frying pan. Fry the courgettes on a medium heat, for a couple of minutes on each side, then remove and drain onto kitchen towel. Season lightly with salt.
4. Add the potato slices to the frying pan and fry on both sides until they are softened all the way through and a very light golden colour around the edges. This will take up to 10 minutes. Drain on a plate lined with kitchen paper.
5. To make the sauce, put the olive oil in a saucepan and add the garlic. Cook for 3–4 minutes on a low–medium heat until soft and aromatic, then add the tomatoes and thyme. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and cook gently, uncovered, until well reduced – around 25 minutes. Taste after 10 minutes – if the sauce tastes acidic, add a pinch of sugar.
7. Reduce the oven to 180C/160C Fan/Gas 4.
All the best Jan