Total Pageviews

Tuesday 11 April 2017

Posh Roasted Vegetables : The Mary Berry Way


Mary Berry is one of the best-known and respected cookery writers and broadcasters in the UK.
She describes her cooking style as 'family' - practical, healthy recipes that incorporate lots of fresh ingredients.

This vegetarian recipe suggestion from her is a different take on a classic ratatouille with the vegetables arranged prettily in a dish, and you serve it in slices.

For this recipe you will need a 25cm/10in shallow, round ovenproof dish (such as a ceramic quiche dish).

Ingredients:
Serves Four
2 medium aubergines (egg-plant), 
cut into 1cm/½in slices
2 red peppers
, de-seeded and cut into 1cm/½in slices
500g/1lb 2oz courgettes (zucchini), 
cut into 1cm/½in slices
6 tbsp olive oil

2 red onions, finely chopped
2 garlic
cloves, crushed
500g/1lb 2oz tomato passata

1 tsp caster sugar (or perhaps equivalent sweetener)
1 small bunch fresh basil, roughly chopped
50g/1¾oz gruyère
cheese, grated
2–3 large tomatoes, 
each cut into 8 wedges
2 tsp chopped fresh thyme
leaves
salt and freshly ground black pepper


Method:
1. Preheat the oven to 220C/200C fan/Gas 7 and line two large roasting tins with baking paper.
2. Put a mixture of the aubergines, red peppers and courgettes in each roasting tin in a single layer. Drizzle over 4 tablespoons of the oil and season well with salt and black pepper. Roast for about 25 minutes, or until lightly browned and just soft. Set aside to cool and reduce the oven temperature to 200C/180C Fan/Gas 6.
3. Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a large saucepan. Add the onions and fry over a medium-high heat for 2–3 minutes, or until soft. Add the garlic and fry for a further minute. Tip in the passata and season with the sugar and some salt and black pepper. Bring to the boil, then cover with a lid. Lower the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes, or until the onions are soft and the sauce has reduced and thickened. Add the basil.
4. Spoon half the sauce into the base of the ovenproof dish and arrange half the roasted vegetables in a spiral pattern on top, then season with salt and ground black pepper and sprinkle over the cheese. Spread the rest of the tomato sauce over the cheese, and then arrange the remaining vegetables and the tomato wedges in a spiral pattern on top.
5. Sprinkle with the thyme, cover with foil and bake in the oven for 25 minutes or until bubbling. Cut into slices to serve.

Recipe Tips:
If covered and chilled in the fridge, this dish can be made up to 8 hours ahead. Simply reheat in the oven at 160C/140C Fan/Gas 3 for 25 minutes.

Not all gruyère is vegetarian, so it's best to check the label if that is a priority for you.

Roasting the vegetables in advance drives off any excess liquid so the final dish isn’t soggy.

This dish works well on its own as a vegetarian main, or could be served with meat or fish as a side dish.

Original recipe is here

Wouldn't this look nice on your Easter Dining table!

Bon Appetit

All the best Jan

31 comments:

Jo said...

That does look posh. I usually throw all my veggies in a dish to roast without any sort of arrangement, they're still very tasty though.

The Happy Whisk said...

I love Mary Berry. She's top notch. Ever watch the documentary about her? Fascinating lady. A true gift.

roughterrain crane said...

I would like to eat this yummy dish in a warm room on a freezing day.
Thanks for visiting my blog.

sage said...

Sounds good. I often roast root vegetables (turnips, beets, carrots, etc) but hte softer ones sounds like a nice twist.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, this looks delicious. Roasted Veggies have a wonderful taste. Thanks for sharing.
Have a happy day!

Tom said...

...roasted veggies are the thing these days.

Christine said...

Such a pretty dish too!

Mylittlepieceofengland said...

I do love Mary Berry and that looks delicious xx

Mac n' Janet said...

I would eat this in a heartbeat, but unfortunately my husband won't eat tomatoes.

only slightly confused said...

Doesn't that look fancy.

Sandra Cox said...

Oh my gosh. This makes my mouth water!

Conniecrafter said...

That sure is a pretty looking dish isn't it, would be great one for when you have people over for a meal :)

This N That said...

Eggplant and Zucchini....not my favorites...looks pretty though...Enjoy your day...

Valerie-Jael said...

This sounds and looks fantastic! Hugs, Valerie

Linda said...

Now this is a dish I would thoroughly enjoy! Thank you so much for sharing, Jan!

JFM said...

Jan, this looks delicious!!!
I don't see a problem with my hubby eating this!!!
Thank you for all the trouble that you go through to help diabetics and the rest of us eat healthier meals~

Hugs~

Mary Kirkland said...

That sounds so good and I like all the ingredients too. Such a pretty dish.

Our photos said...

That looks nice !

Susan Kane said...

This must be/sounds absolutely delicious. It is have a while since I've made ratatouille.

Lisabella Russo said...

Oh that looks so yummy! I will definitely give it a try, thank you! In answer to your question on my blog, I love animals, I do think I sketch and paint them regularly...

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

This looks scrumptious, and with a vegetarian daughter I'm always looking for something special for her when she comes for family meals.

Martha said...

What a great dish. Looks so good!

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

What a wonderful way to use fresh veggies in a yummy fashion! It is always nice to find such healthy recipes here! :)

Rue said...

Between this and the sponge cake, I'm drooling Jan ;)

I hope you have a very lovely easter weekend , my friend.

xo,
rue

happyone said...

Oh that sure looks good. I see I've missed lots of good recipes during my blog break. I'm glad to be back.

Sara - Villa Emilia said...

This dish looks and sounds divine!
(I became suddenly very hungry. :))
Thank you for the great recipes and have a happy Easter! xx

Snowbird said...

Isn't that colourful? And, I bet, delicious! You do put some lovely recipes up, I shall give this one a go for sure.xxx

Kezzie said...

This looks very tasty! I often do roasted veg but this is a lovely presented method of basking it!

Magic Love Crow said...

Thanks so much Jan! Big Hugs!

Louca por porcelana said...

Yummy! Thanks,Jan!

Amy at Ms. Toody Goo Shoes said...

The roasted vegetables look amazing!