Total Pageviews

Tuesday 18 April 2017

Pan-fried scallops with crisp pancetta, watercress & lemon crème fraîche


Have you an anniversary, special birthday ... or some other special occasion coming up soon? Then why not consider having this sumptuous dish as a most special starter course. It's pan-fried scallops with pancetta and watercress, I'm sure you will enjoy it ... and it only has 1.9g carb per serving.

Ingredients:
Serves Two
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
½ tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp white wine vinegar
25g crème fraîche
1 lemon, zested and juiced
25g fresh watercress, leaves picked and thick stalks discarded
40g diced pancetta
6 fresh scallops


Method:
1. In a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil, mustard and vinegar and season with black pepper.

2. In a separate bowl, mix the crème fraîche with a little lemon juice. Set aside. Divide the watercress between each plate and drizzle with the dressing.
3. Heat a dry frying pan until hot. Add the pancetta and fry for 2 minutes until it begins to release some fat, then add the scallops and fry for 30 seconds to 1 minute on each side, until opaque and just cooked through. Add a little lemon juice to the pan.
4. Place 3 scallops on each plate of watercress, spooning over the pancetta and pan juices. Serve with the lemon crème fraîche and garnish with the zest.


Each serving provides:
1.9g carbohydrate 0.5g fibre 15.2g protein 16.0g fat


See the original Sainsbury recipe
here

Did you know, that watercress with its deep green leaves, and crisp, paler stems, is related to mustard and is one of the strongest-tasting salad leaves available. It has a pungent, slightly bitter, peppery flavour and is highly nutritious, containing significant amounts of iron, calcium, vitamins A, C and E.


All the best Jan

29 comments:

Christine said...

I don't often make scallops, I should try this soon.

Stephanie said...

I have never made scallops, but oh my, this recipe is a must! Thanks for sharing, sweet Jan.

Hugs to you!

R's Rue said...

Love.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, I love scallops. It has been awhile since I have made them though. I will give this recipe a try, thanks for sharing. Happy Tuesday, enjoy your day!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Those big sea scallops are my favorite seafood... It's hard to get them here (other than frozen--and those are not nearly as good). When we go to the beach in North Carolina a couple of times each year, there is a restaurant we go to (Dockside) --where we get the best scallops I've ever eaten... YUM...

Thanks for the recipe...
Hugs,
Betsy

Valerie-Jael said...

This looks wonderful, and I love watercress, too, yummy. Hugs, Valerie

Gosia said...

great photo with wine. Love Gosia

Bob Bushell said...

Oh, sorry Jan, not my cup of tea.

Susan Kane said...

A delicious dish! Husband has a birthday coming up end of April. Will give this a try.

Lisabella Russo said...

I have a friend who would just love this dish...

Sandra Cox said...

This does look like a lovely special occasion dish.

Tom said...

...I sure love scallops.

Jenn Jilks said...

Yum!

Anonymous said...

John would LOVE this meal. Thanks!

Elephant's Child said...

Not for me. I wish we could get watercress here though. I remember eating it as a child and loved it.

happyone said...

Oh yes, that sure does look good.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I haven't had scallops for a while. Maybe it's time to go to my local fishmonger and buy some and try this recipe which seems to be quite delicious.

peppylady (Dora) said...

It looks good. But I have a question..Where do you keep your carb in take at?
Coffee is on

baili said...

my eldest son's birthday is in August 7 .
your recipe sounds great my friend!

loved in the last you recommended that inviting water Crees so much .
thank you for sharing the wonderful ideas and recipes dear

riitta k said...

Oh, this looks so delicious, and the photo below too. Cheers - or as we say in Finnish Kippis!

Phil Slade said...

My type of food Jan. Love scallops and with the zing of pancetta I would love to eat that right now for breakfast.

Lisa said...

I bet this tastes delicious, even more so if the meal is cooked for you.
Lisa x

Sara - Villa Emilia said...

Oh, this looks delicious!
Thank you for sharing & Have a great day! xx

Neesie said...

Ooh I love scallops. This looks absolutely delicious. Thanks for sharing :D

Mary Kirkland said...

I love scallops!

Linda said...

This looks like a great dish!

Lowcarb team member said...

Reply to peppylady (Dora) who asked:
"It looks good. But I have a question..Where do you keep your carb in take at?"

Hi there and thanks for your question.
Husband Eddie (who is a type 2 diabetic) and I (I am not diabetic but choose to live the LCHF lifestyle) keep our daily carb intake at around 50 carbs per day.
We eat low carb, higher (healthy) fat and moderate protein.

Over the 8/9 years we have been living this lifestyle this amount of daily carbs suits us.

Some people have less than this - some more, it is what suits the individual and you need to take into account any health related problems/issues and also lifestyle, such as work, exercise, daily living etc.

You may find this article of interest 'Introduction To Low-Carb for beginners'
http://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.co.uk/2016/05/introduction-to-low-carb-for-beginners.html

You may also find Diet Doctor site has some helpful posts to read, see here
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb

None of the low carb team are medical professionals. The articles you read are personal views but often link to both medical and scientific studies.

I hope this helps you.

My good wishes

All the best Jan

Carole said...

Hi Jan, love this. Would you like to share this with the other participants in Food on Friday over at Carole's Chatter? I have a weekly link up party – each week there is a different ingredient or theme. The current theme is Scallops!

You can see upcoming themes in one of the pages at the top of my home page. If you would like to join in the fun please schedule a reminder for each week. The collection starts at 7am Friday New Zealand time – which might be some time Thursday your time – aren't time zones confusing? Well they confuse me! Hope to see you soon. Cheers, Carole

Lowcarb team member said...

Reply to Carole ... who said in part of her comment:

"Hi Jan, love this. Would you like to share this with the other participants in Food on Friday over at Carole's Chatter? I have a weekly link up party – each week there is a different ingredient or theme. The current theme is Scallops!"

Many thanks for the kind offer Carole, I know many blogs have great link ups and I very often do go and visit to see some great posts that are of interest in a number of spheres including diabetes, food, hobbies, photography, wild-life, friendship, and much more. I think 'blogland' can be an excellent place.

However, I do not do link-ups as such ...

Sending my good wishes, enjoy your weekend and the coming new week ... you are probably on Sunday already over in the Southern Hemisphere!

All the best Jan