Total Pageviews

Saturday 8 April 2017

Devilled lambs kidneys with mushrooms



Did you know that devilled kidneys is a Victorian British breakfast dish consisting of lamb's kidneys cooked in a spiced sauce, referred to as "devilling".

The devilling mixture consists of Worcestershire sauce, mustard, butter, cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper, although some recipes can also include curry powder in them. Chicken stock can also be used in the sauce itself.

James Boswell described devilling during the 18th century, although it was not until the 19th and 20th centuries that devilled kidneys grew in popularity as a breakfast dish. During the Edwardian era, the dish was typically served in gentlemen's clubs and was part of a cuisine which also included items such as kedgeree or kippers.

In the modern era it has mostly been promoted as a supper dish instead of at breakfast, and is regularly featured in cookbooks and by celebrity chefs such as Rick Stein, 'The Hairy Bikers' and Marco Pierre White.

So do please have a look at this Victorian inspired recipe, and decide whether you may give it a try for breakfast or a light supper, perhaps even a light lunch!

One thing I would say is - when it comes to the toast - use a low carb bread.

Ingredients:
Serves Two
4 lambs kidneys
2tbsp plain flour
½tsp cayenne pepper
½tsp English mustard
few drops Worcestershire sauce
4tsp olive oil
50g butter
2 shallots, peeled and finely chopped
1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
150g chestnut mushrooms, wiped and sliced
50ml chicken stock
1tsp crème fraiche
1tsp parsley, chopped
salt
ground black pepper
2 slices toast - use a low carb bread

Method:
1. Skin and core the kidneys with a pair of scissors.
2. In a bowl mix together the flour, cayenne pepper and mustard powder. Toss the kidneys in the flour and shake off the excess.
3. Preheat a frying pan; add 2tsp of the oil and the butter, fry the kidneys for 3-4 minutes until golden. Remove from the pan and set aside.
4. Add the remaining oil to the pan with the shallots, garlic and mushrooms and sauté over a medium heat for 2-3 minutes. Add a few drops of Worcestershire sauce to the pan, pour in the stock and reduce by half. Add the crème fraîche and kidneys to reheat for 1 minute and season to taste.
5. Finally, add the chopped parsley an extra sprinkling of cayenne pepper and serve on hot toast - using a low carb bread.

Original idea from Tesco real food
here

A variety of recipe ideas are in this blog, and not all may be suitable for you, if you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues please take these into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

Bon Appetit

All the best Jan

18 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello, I am sure this is delicious. But, I have never tried eating kidneys of any kind.
Thanks for sharing. Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend!

Tom said...

...I'll pass on this one!

Lowcarb team member said...

It was interesting to read the first two comments received on this recipe suggestion, as I think many do 'associate kidney and liver meat with “no way!” These organ meats have distinctive, strong flavors that people tend to love or hate. If you’re on the doubting side, kidney and liver meat are worth reconsidering. Their health benefits are substantial and you may find them enjoyable if you try a few simple preparation tips'

Do read more here
http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/health-benefits-kidney-liver-meat-2714.html

Happy Weekend everyone

All the best Jan

JFM said...

This one is not for our family but I must admit that it looks good~

Hugs~

Christine said...

Kidneys are the one thing I can't stomach, though. I love liver.

Valerie-Jael said...

This looks very yummy! Hugs, Valerie

Mary Kirkland said...

I've never had kidneys. But I have had chicken hearts, gizzards. I don't like liver either but I'd be willing to try it once.

Debbie said...

i'm not sure why...but this i couldn't do. but it looks good and i love any kind of mushroom sauce!!!!

Jo said...

I love steak and kidney pie but I've never tried devilled kidneys. My mum used to make steak and kidney pie and also liver and onions for the family but she wouldn't touch either herself.

Lisabella Russo said...

The mushrooms look good!

DeniseinVA said...

I enjoy reading the history you share in your recipes Jan. Thank you :)

Margaret D said...

Love mushrooms.

Phil Slade said...

Most surprising. Think I'll skip this one if you don't mind Jan. I find the texture of kidneys very difficult. Even devilled I think I would not like them.

Bob Bushell said...

Not my cuppa tea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Revrunner said...

I'll have to say, I'm with Bob here. :-)

Lowcarb team member said...

OK! We have got the message, you don't rate eating offal LOL Pity really, because offal is amongst the most nutritional food on the planet and often comparatively cheap to buy.

I wonder how many have never tried a food, yet say they would not eat it. Just saying.

Regards Eddie

Magic Love Crow said...

Eddie, you make me laugh with your comments! LOL! I have to admit, I have never tried, but my mom has and loves kidneys. I love liver, so I would probably love kidneys too!

Lowcarb team member said...

Hi Magic

Some say don't knock it until you have tried it. That being said, I'm keeping well away from bestiality, look what happened to Monty Beantipper.

Regards Eddie