Total Pageviews

Thursday 6 April 2017

April is National Garlic Month !


April is National Garlic Month (well, at least in the United States), but many adopt this day/month in their own houses too! Now some people LOVE garlic and if there’s a way to add it into a recipe, they probably will.

"Did you know garlic is both a vegetable and an herb? In the US April is National Garlic Month (Garlic Day is April 19) and we’re celebrating with a few garlic facts...

Garlic is a member of the onion family, which also includes leeks and shallots.


When picking out garlic at the grocery store, select firm, tight, heavy, dry bulbs.


Garlic has been used medicinally since the Greek and Roman times. Today garlic is a widely recognized health enhancing supplement. It promotes the well-being of the heart and immune systems with antioxidant properties and helps maintain healthy blood circulation. One of garlic’s greatest health benefits includes the ability to enhance the body’s immune cell activity.


Garlic was once believed to fight off acne, warts, toothaches and evil spirits.


Its pungent flavour is caused by a chemical reaction that occurs when the garlic cells are broken. The flavour is most intense just after mincing. The smell can be removed from your hands by running them under cold water while rubbing a stainless steel object.


The psychological term for fear of garlic is alliumphobia.


If your rose garden is being attacked by aphids – or plant lice – spritz the leaves and blooms with a mixture of crushed garlic and water.


Drinking lemon juice or eating a few slices of lemon will stop bad garlic breath."

Most words above taken from
here

Looking for a tasty dish with a little garlic?
How about these ...


Chicken Wings Provencal
see recipe here


Lemon Garlic Pork Steaks with Mushrooms
see recipe here


Baked Garlic Parmesan Salmon
see recipe here

I hope you may enjoy these recipe choices ... but remember, we bring a variety of recipe ideas to this blog, and not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

As always, thanks for reading.

All the best Jan

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Morning, Jan. We have a farm near us that sells many varieties of garlic and I look forward to visiting there this summer. Thanks for these recipes. Enjoy your day.

Revrunner said...

Afraid of garlic? Never! :-)

eileeninmd said...

Hello, great recipes. They look delicious, I like using garlic in many recipes. Happy Thursday, enjoy your day!

NatureFootstep said...

garlic month! Never heard of it. My dad loved then but my daughter is allergic to them :(

Jo said...

I like the look of those pork steaks, yummy.

Mac n' Janet said...

I'm a big fan of garlic, vampires would hate my kitchen. The chicken wings look delicious.

JFM said...

I for one know the health benefits of garlic and use it often in my cooking and as a supplement. These are some wonderful recipes Jan!!!

Hugs~

Mylittlepieceofengland said...

We love garlic here, I never tasted it until I became an adult xx

Mary Kirkland said...

All those dishes look great but I've never liked garlic and so many dishes call for it.

DeniseinVA said...

I do love garlic, thanks for this post Jan and all the great sounding recipes.

Adam said...

I'm like a vampire with garlic

Lorrie said...

Hello, Jan,
I do love garlic and include it in a lot of dishes. Those chicken wings Provencal look yummy!

Sandra Cox said...

Good info as always, Jan:)
I didn't realize it could be used on roses....

Martha said...

I always have garlic in the house. There are so many meals I use it in. I especially love the Baked Garlic Parmesan Salmon recipe. I bet it is so delicious!

Margaret D said...

Love the salmon Jan.

sandy said...

I LOVE garlic and we seem to put it on everything except oatmeal, lol. I've wanted to go to Gilroy our Garlic Capital here in California but haven't been yet. I have a cookbook Garlic Lovers Cookbook that I believe was published by a Gilroy publisher. I've tried a few recipes from it in the past and love them. The recipes you posted look so good.

I read the article above Eddie posted about the company in the UK doing away with margarine. Very interesting. My son who is a sous chef has said many times to us - don't eat margarine it's like plastic...or some such thing. We still have it in the house.

Hope your spring is nice for you.

Lady Fi said...

I can't imagine making food without garlic!

Linda said...

I absolutely love garlic, Jan! The chicken wings look delicious!

Bob Bushell said...

Garlic is so tasteful, I luv them.

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

These all look so good, Jan! I can smell the garlic cooking! Wishing you a wonderful weekend! xx Karen

Lisa said...

I had garlic mushrooms on toast the other night so I've had a mini garlic celebration!
Lisa x

Snowbird said...

I find I add garlic to most dishes....such a versatile ingredient.xxx

Debbie said...

garlic!!!! my favorite "food group"!!!!

Lisabella Russo said...

Alex loves garlic! I have a bit of an intolerance to it, so while I use a little bit because I like the flavor, I don't use much...

Magic Love Crow said...

I love garlic! I didn't know it was a vegetable and fruit! Interesting!