Total Pageviews

Thursday 13 April 2017

Hap-pea Easter !

Yes for some peas can be too 'carby' approx. 10g carb per 1/2 cup serving, compared to a 1 cup serving of chopped Broccoli, which has approx. 6 g. However, I do think peas can make a welcome addition at the dining table, especially if you have a large family gathering ... and with Easter getting nearer I thought this fun recipe idea a good one to share, it certainly adds a twist to 'pigs in blankets' this Easter!


Ingredients:
Four servings
200g frozen peas
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 small onion, chopped
12 cherry tomatoes
a few leaves of fresh mint
150 g breadcrumbs (use a low carb bread)
12 rashers of streaky bacon

Preparation:
Preheat oven.
Sauté the onions in oil until soft.
Add the tomatoes and stir for 2 minutes, then repeat with the peas for a further 2 minutes.
Season to taste, take off the heat and mix in a blender.
Drop in the mint leaves and fold in the breadcrumbs.
Form the pea mixture into 12 sausage shapes and wrap each one in bacon.
Place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes.
Can be served with an Easter dinner or as a snack, side or with a mixed salad.

See original recipe idea here

Some readers may prefer a more traditional 'pigs in blanket' recipe (sausages wrapped in bacon) and it is much lower in carbs than the one above which uses peas and breadcrumbs.


Sausages wrapped in bacon ... is a great favourite of ours and so simple to prepare and cook that sausages cooked this way often appear in our house as a breakfast, lunch, or supper time snack. Perfect too for family gatherings and parties, the grandchildren love them.

The recipe below is what I call 'The Professional - sausages wrapped in bacon' and it comes courtesy of Nick Nairn at BBC food recipes. I think my way tastes as good and works perfectly for an extra quick prepare and bake … but whichever method you use (in fact you may already have your own) if you follow a LCHF lifestyle then make sure you start with a low carb sausage i.e. always check the carb content on the label, one that has about 97% meat content.

Serves 1 - 2
Ingredients
5 rashers of streaky bacon
5 chipolata sausages
1 tbsp oil

Preparation and method
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
2. Lay the bacon out on a chopping board. Place one sausage at the end of each rasher of bacon and roll the sausage up in the bacon.
3.Heat the oil in an ovenproof frying pan, add the bacon-wrapped sausages and fry for a few minutes until lightly browned all over.
4.Transfer to the oven for 8-10 minutes, or until golden-brown and completely cooked through.
To serve, place the sausages into a serving bowl with cocktail stick.

Original idea is here

Jan’s Way is:
1. As Above
2. As above - but also once sausage is wrapped, cut each sausage in half or third in order to make bite sized.
3. Place on very lightly oiled/greased ovenproof plate/dish (important that it has upturned edge) and transfer to oven for 20 - 25 minutes turning half way through cooking. Make sure the sausage wraps are cooked through before allowing to cool slightly and serve ….. delicious.

A variety of recipe ideas are in this blog, and not all may be suitable for you, if you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues please take these into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.


All the best Jan

22 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Both recipes look great, I especially like the sound of the pea one, yummy. Thanks for sharing. Hugs, Valerie

Tom said...

...my two little Granddaughters love to eat frozen peas.

The Happy Whisk said...

Enjoy your holiday !

Jo said...

I like sausage and I like bacon but I can take or leave pigs in blankets. Mick on the other hand loves them so usually eats my share too!

JFM said...

All I can say is YUMMMMMMM!!!

Hap-pea Easter!!!

only slightly confused said...

You had me at 'bacon'.

R's Rue said...

Beautiful.

Christine said...

Thanks for the heads up on carbs in peas, I didn't realize.

William Kendall said...

Quite a different way to have peas!

Mary Kirkland said...

Wow, I love bacon so that looks great. Thankfully Ken and I both love peas so we eat them in different dishes quite often.

roughterrain crane said...

I love both peas and bacon. I think this is one of the best combination.
Happy Easter to you.

Martha said...

I love peas. The rest of the family...not so much! Happy Easter, Jan. I hope it's a wonderful time for you.

DeniseinVA said...

All the things I love in an appetizer. Thanks Jan and Happy Easter :)

Margaret D said...

Occasionally do bacon wrapped around meat, nice for a change.
Happy Easter.

Benita said...

Since I'm not a fan of peas, I'm going with the sausages and bacon! :-) I was reading telling the hubster about it and he said that your version of pigs in blankets sounded much better than our version...small sausages wrapped in crescent rolls. :-) I hope you have a wonderfully blessed Easter! Love and hugs!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for another great recipe.

Jan, I wish you a blessed Easter.

River said...

Peas were always welcome at our table. Hubby taught the kids to balance a spoon on the knife handle, add peas to the bowl of the spoon, then slap the spoon handle down and send the peas flying. Fun times.(*~*)

Kezzie said...

I love pigs in blankets so this one sounds very tasty!!

Lowcarb team member said...

Reply to River who said:
"Hubby taught the kids to balance a spoon on the knife handle, add peas to the bowl of the spoon, then slap the spoon handle down and send the peas flying. Fun times.(*~*)"

Well that's certainly different!

I do think most kids / children enjoy peas, I know our grand-children do.

All the best Jan

Magic Love Crow said...

Thanks so much Jan!! So yummy!
Happy Easter!
Big Hugs!

Magic Love Crow said...

I forgot to say, I really like the frozen pea idea! Thanks!

Conniecrafter said...

The first recipe sounds very interesting, something I never would have thought of.... the second sounds really good, we haven't had pigs in a blanket in a very long time.