Ewelina uses "Splenda as a sweetener and Menier dark chocolate in this recipe." She says, "if you would like to make this cake even lower in carbohydrates use pure Stevia leaf (you will need just a teaspoon or so) and chocolate that is lower in carbs than 30g."
7g Carbs per piece/slice
50g chopped almonds (I used flaked almonds as you can see on the picture but it worked fine)
115g butter, cut into small pieces
6 eggs, separated
Equivalent of 180 g sugar (I used 18g Splenda*)
1 tsp. pure almond extract
Almond flakes for decoration"
Ewelina says ..."Splenda is much lighter than sugar, you use the same amount when you measure with cups or spoons but not when you weight. For example 1 cup of sugar and 1 cup of Splenda looks the same but sugar weighs about 10 times more"
1. Preheat oven to 180C and butter a 23 cm springform pan.
2. Melt the chocolate and butter in a large bowl over simmering water. Stir in almonds and set aside to cool slightly.
3. In a medium bowl using electric mixer whisk egg yolks and sweetener until mixture gets smooth and pale yellow. Slowly add the egg yolk mixture to melted chocolate and stir to combine. Stir in almond extract.
4. In a large bowl using electric mixer whisk the egg whites until firm peaks form. Using spatula fold in ¼ of egg whites to the chocolate mixture. Gently fold in the remaining egg whites (it takes some time but do it gently)
5. Pour the batter into the form and bake 20min.
All the best Jan