Total Pageviews

Saturday 29 April 2017

Spring Greens : Buttered and Punchy !



"
Spring greens are the first cabbages of the year. They have fresh, loose heads without the hard heart of other cabbages.
Availability
Spring greens are at their peak from April to June.
Choose the best
Choose fresh, firm leaves. Reject wilted plants.
Prepare it
Remove the leaves from the centre, wash gently and shred.
Store it
Store in the fridge and use within a couple of days.
Cook it
Add spring greens at the end of a stir-fry, or use in winter soups and stews. They are delicious sliced, steamed and drizzled with melted butter. Take care not to overcook, as the leaves will develop a rank flavour and smell.
Alternatives
Try cabbage or spinach."


"
Spring Greens are similar to kale, in which the central leaves do not form a head or form only a very loose one, and are grown primarily in northern Europe where its tolerance of cold winters is valued for an early spring supply. Spring greens are extremely similar, genetically, to curly kale and collard greens. They are also rich in vitamin C, folate and dietary fibre, making them a very healthy food"



Why not give spring greens a buttered ... punchy flavour! Just add some anchovies and a grating of Parmesan, did I mention the crunchy hazelnuts too! This really is a nice side dish you can enjoy when eating a meal with family and/or friends.

Ingredients:
serves 6 as a side dish
2g carbs per serving

50g unsalted butter
6 anchovy fillets
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
500g spring greens, washed and shredded
1 lemon
, juiced
50g finely grated Parmesan

30g hazelnuts, toasted and roughly chopped

Method:
1. Melt the butter in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Once bubbling, add the anchovies and cook for 2 minutes until they melt away. Stir in the garlic, fry for 1 min more, then toss in the greens and cook for 8 minutes until wilted.
2. Add the lemon juice and parmesan and stir well to melt the cheese. Season to taste, transfer to a serving bowl and scatter over the hazelnuts.

This side dish goes great with lamb, or any roast meat. However you may prefer to enjoy it with a different choice ... as always it's up to you dear reader.
Original recipe idea here

A variety of recipe ideas are within this blog, and not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

18 comments:

Jo said...

I love spring greens, surprisingly it's a vegetable that all my fussy family will eat.

handmade by amalia said...

This looks like a lovely dish, Jan. It is wonderful how many green vegetables are available now.
Amalia
xo

Valerie-Jael said...

lOOKS YUMMY, spring greens are always one of my faves. Hugs, Valerie

Tom said...

...something that I've never had before.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, the spring greens look delicious! I love the veggies. Happy weekend!

JFM said...

Definitely yummy looking!!!
Hugs Jan~

NCmountainwoman said...

One of my favorites from childhood was my mother's spring greens. She kept a large vegetable garden and these greens were so wonderful. She used a combination of bacon grease and butter and always added the little onions. We never called them scallions. Always little green onions, regular onions harvested earlier.

I'm not sure why I've never cooked them myself, but I definitely plan to do so. I love the addition of the Parmesan. Thanks for bringing them to mind.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Jan, I like the spring greens because I bought some to use in stir fry yesterday. No meat, nothing, except veggies, spring greens, and a bit of sauce, a bit like soy, but with low sodium content.

Mary Kirkland said...

I like that idea. I like adding spinach or rainbow chard to other vegie mixtures.

Martha said...

This recipe looks tasty. My husband would love the anchovies!

Elephant's Child said...

Yum. I would omit the hairy fish, but the rest of it looks great. I am a big fan of greens (spring and otherwise).

Linda Kay said...

Not a big fan of cooked greens, but love them raw!

Lee said...

I steamed a pile of spinach and broccoli to have with my lunch yesterday. And as I was about to put them on my plate...I dropped the lot on my kitchen floor!! I'm sure you would have heard me up your way when that happened!!!! Straight into the bin they went!!! lol

Anonymous said...

Your dishes look tasty. I hope you have enjoyed the weekend and that the week ahead will be filled with many blessings.

Lisabella Russo said...

I don't think I've seen spring greens before, they look lovely and tasty!

Snowbird said...

I just love spring greens and cabbage!!!xxx

Conniecrafter said...

My hubby just recently bought collard greens and asked me to make them, I still haven't decided how to do them, poor guy I am not a very good cook, LOL!

Magic Love Crow said...

Great post!! Thank you! Looks so yummy!!!