Total Pageviews

Sunday 9 April 2017

Summer fruits low-carb sponge cake is still one of our favourite recipes


This is actually one of Eddie's low carb cake recipes! He first made it some years ago now, and it has remained a favourite with us and other family members. I haven't shared the recipe idea for a while, and knowing that in recent months we have new readers, I thought it would be nice to share it again. With Easter almost here, a low carb sponge cake could be just what you need!

The fruits you use can always be adjusted to what is in season, and what may be available in a shop near you! If you need a guide to lower carb fruits have a look here

Ingredients:
200g ground almonds
2 heaped teaspoons baking powder
3 medium eggs
2 tablespoons of butter
2 tablespoons double (heavy) cream
Low-carb fruits

Method:
Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl.
Melt the butter I used a Pyrex jug, add the eggs and cream, then add the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
Add some low-carb fruits, blueberries, raspberries and strawberries to the mix and spoon into a baking container. I used a silicone bread mould.
Microwave in a 700watt for 6 minutes.
Take out of the mould, if still damp place upside down on four layers of kitchen paper and microwave for a further one minute.
Allow to cool then spread on a layer of extra thick cream, then add fruits to the top.
A little tip, allow to cool on four or five layers of kitchen paper to remove any excess moisture.
Serve in a bowl with some double cream.
Serves eight.

image from here

A variety of recipe ideas are found within this blog, and not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

30 comments:

Anonymous said...

A light and delicious looking cake! Thank you.

Francisco Manuel Carrajola Oliveira said...

Gosto muito de frutos silvestres.
Um abraço e bom Domingo.

Andarilhar
Dedais de Francisco e Idalisa
Livros-Autografados

Lowcarb team member said...

Francisco translation:
I love berries.
A hug and good Sunday.

Jo said...

I don't think you can go wrong with a sponge cake and add berries to the mix and it's even better.

Sara - Villa Emilia said...

Who wouldn't love a cake like that! :)
Thank you for sharing. Happy Sunday! xx

eileeninmd said...

Hello, this cake looks delicious. It would nice for an Easter dinner dessert. Happy Sunday, enjoy your day and the new week ahead!

Christine said...

It looks so colourful and delicious!

Valerie-Jael said...

I love the sound of this one! Hugs, Valerie

Mac n' Janet said...

Looks so good and I like the idea you can cook it in the microwave.

JFM said...

Now this is something that I can sink my teeth into :D

Happy Sunday~

Sandra Cox said...

OMG. This may be your best recipe yet. And how perfect for warm weather!

Debbie said...

i can't wait for summer and fresh fruits and berries every day!!!

Mary Kirkland said...

Thanks for the recipe. I'll definitely have to give that a try.

Crafty Green Poet said...

That looks like a very tasty cake, I like the photo of the bunny too!

William Kendall said...

It sounds tasty.

Kasztanowy Domek said...

Delicious look! :)

xxBasia

Lisabella Russo said...

Oh that looks delicious! My list of recipes to try is growing, I have tried some of them and enjoyed them very much, thank you!

Snowbird said...

This is absolutely perfect for Easter....it looks so light and fluffy!xxx

This N That said...

That's a great dessert..I cut it in half and put ice cream between the slices..usually black raspberry..then freeze it..Yum..I guess the defeats the purpose?

Elephant's Child said...

Yum. That looks wonderful. I am trying to stay away from desserts at the moment, but will bookmark this for when I weaken. As weaken I will.

Tom said...

...sure looks good to me.

Conniecrafter said...

that sounds very good, anything with fresh fruits are nice for summer time desserts!
Have a wonderful week!

Martha said...

You can't go wrong with this cake. So delicious!

NatureFootstep said...

this is one of my problems. I lovv it but have become allergic to cream :(

baili said...

one of the most delicious looking fruit cake!!!
thank you for sharing the recipe my friend.
thank you for the cutest pic ever

Rose said...

Any cake with fresh fruit is a winner in my book! I can't wait for strawberry season to come; fresh-picked strawberries are always so much better-tasting than anything you can buy in the supermarket. Happy Easter, Jan!

The Happy Whisk said...

Happy Eating!

Bob Bushell said...

I love the cakes with strawberries on it, just the way to do it.

Magic Love Crow said...

Looks so yummy! I love the image too! Hugs!

Lisa said...

Just perfect for this Easter weekend, something light and fruity.
Wishing you and your family and lovely Easter.
Lisa x