Total Pageviews

Wednesday 19 January 2022

Nothing changes. In the name of God go!

Oliver Cromwell: 'In the name of God, go!' speech dismissing Rump Parliament - 1653

20 April 1653, London, England
"It is high time for me to put an end to your sitting in this place,which you have dishonoured by your contempt of all virtue, and defiled by your practice of every vice.
Ye are a factious crew, and enemies to all good government.
Ye are a pack of mercenary wretches, and would like Esau sell your country for a mess of pottage, and like Judas betray your God for a few pieces of money.
Is there a single virtue now remaining amongst you? Is there one vice you do not possess?
Ye have no more religion than my horse. Gold is your God. Which of you have not bartered your conscience for bribes? Is there a man amongst you that has the least care for the good of the Commonwealth?
Ye sordid prostitutes have you not defiled this sacred place, and turned the Lord's temple into a den of thieves, by your immoral principles and wicked practices?
Ye are grown intolerably odious to the whole nation. You were deputed here by the people to get grievances redressed, are yourselves become the greatest grievance.
Your country therefore calls upon me to cleanse this Augean stable, by putting a final period to your iniquitous proceedings in this House; and which by God's help, and the strength he has given me, I am now come to do.
I command ye therefore, upon the peril of your lives, to depart immediately out of this place.
Go, get you out! Make haste! Ye venal slaves be gone! So! Take away that shining bauble there, and lock up the doors.

In the name of God, go!"
History repeats itself. 
Ex-Cabinet minister David Davis said Mr Johnson had failed to take responsibility for the breaches of lockdown in Downing Street, and he had enough of taking the flak for him. 'In the name of God, go!' he said. A visibly shaken Mr Johnson insisted he was not going to resign.
Today in Parliament
Eddie 

17 comments:

Tom said...

...a bit of history that is new to me.

Jeanie said...

I heard about this. I don't know that I have enough knowledge to make an insightful comment, apart from what we hear about a rather wild bash the evening before Prince Philip's memorial. I'm sure there must be more than that. It's quite a fiery speech!

Sandi said...

"Ye have no more religion than my horse."

What a strange insult. Animals know God. I think so anyway.

😊

Lori Miller said...

The lockdowners were hypocrites and authoritarians and they all need to go!

Elephant's Child said...

I doubt the current incumbent will go - unless he is pushed/dragged out.

VENTANA DE FOTO said...

La historia se repite a través de los años.

A+

Christine said...

History does repeat itself.

Jeff said...

I didn't realize this was said by Crowell, I thought that was what was said to Chamberlain in the late 30s. Will there be a vote of no confidence?

CJ Kennedy said...

Interesting history.

William Kendall said...

An idiot like Boris should have never been advanced in life beyond being the drunkard in the corner pub.

J.P. Alexander said...

Uy la historia se repite . Te mando un beso

Ananka said...

It always does repeat itself! I try to avoid anything to do with politics as it always annoys me haha!

Divers and Sundry said...

It's been interesting to watch this story unfold. I have to keep googling to get a handle on what the political process is over there lol

pam nash said...

I wonder if I could send a copy of Cromwell's speech to our senate.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Fact and in this case, history, is very curious and evidentally capable of repeating itself.

Teresa said...

Pienso que debería dimitir, no se merece estar donde está. Besos.

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

Interesting.