Total Pageviews

Tuesday 28 March 2023

Leek Rarebit Pork Steak : So Tasty

Leeks add a silky texture to this meaty take on Welsh rarebit. Add cider, cheese and mustard for a savoury punch, then pile the lovely leeks on top of some perfectly cooked pork and serve.


Ingredients
Serves Four
2 tbsp olive oil
3 large leeks (about 550g), washed, trimmed and finely sliced
1 tbsp plain flour
125ml dry cider
125g mature Cheddar, grated
1 tsp English mustard
4 pork loin steaks 
To Serve - Optional
Mashed potato or swede (rutabaga) and Tenderstem broccoli,
Method
1. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a lidded pan and cook the leeks for 10 mins, covered, over a medium heat until soft. Set aside half the leeks in a dish and the remaining leeks, cook for 2 mins, then slowly pour in the cider, stirring, until combined. Add the cheese and mustard and gently heat, stirring, until melted. The mixture can easily catch at this stage, so be careful.
2. Preheat the grill to medium-high. Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan over a high heat and cook the pork steaks for 2-3 mins each side until golden and cooked through. Top with the leek rarebit, then grill for 2-3 mins until golden. Serve with the reserved leeks, and mashed potato or swede and Tenderstem broccoli, if you like.
Each serving contains
Carbohydrate 7.5g Protein 37.4g Fat 42g Fibre 0.2g
From an original idea here
Related Recipe
Rarebit topped Gammon with green beans - see it here


~ enjoy your day ~

This blog brings a variety of recipe ideas, and it is important to note, not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter. If you have any concerns about your health, it is always advisable to consult your doctor or health care team.

All the best Jan

30 comments:

Tom said...

...something that I've never had.

Ananka said...

The veg looks really good. Thanks Jan :-D

happyone said...

I've never tasted that before.

William Kendall said...

I have never had leek before.

My name is Erika. said...

I need to look up what a rarebit is. But your pork does look yummy. Happy Wednesday.

J.P. Alexander said...

Gracias por la receta, te mando un beso.

peppylady (Dora) said...

I like rabbit. But it hard to find here.
Coffee is on and stay safe.

Chatty Crone said...

I have never had that - I wish I had a chef that cooked healthy like that. Beautiful flowers.

Angie's Recipes said...

It looks very tasty!

Christine said...

Looks good

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

I have made a rarebit before, but it has been many years since then. Funny how people think it is 'rabbit', though. *smile*. I've had it mostly on toast, but putting it on pork does sound good. I'll have to give it another go! Sounds delicious. x K

Margaret D said...

I bet tastes good.

Elephant's Child said...

Not for me, but the other resident would like it. Thank you.

Valerie-Jael said...

So yummy! Valerie

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Sounds interesting

eileeninmd said...

Looks yummy, I have never tried leeks!
Take care, enjoy your day!

Crafty Green Poet said...

I'll need to add leeks the next time I make a Welsh Rarebit, what a great idea! (No meat for me though!)

Alicia said...

Looks fabulous. I only recently started eating leeks, mostly in soups, but I can see how this would be a really great way to eat them. I do love pork as well! Will let you know if I try it.

Laura. M said...

Rica receta. Me gusta guisar con puerros. Los sembramos en el huerto. Y una tortilla de puerros está muy buena.
Buen miércoles.
Un abrazo.

Carla from The River said...

I will have to try this. I am pinning.
Thank you!

R's Rue said...

Yum.

Jeanie said...

Leeks are very good. I've never had Welsh Rarebit.

Victor S E Moubarak said...

I sometimes wish we could take the photos from your Blog and put them on the table and enjoy.

God bless.

NatureFootstep said...

not sure what that is but the cider, cheese and mustard tells me it tastes good :)

Jenn Jilks said...

I had to read the recipe. I didn't know what rarebit is!

Mary Kirkland said...

That looks good.

Conniecrafter said...

I have not cooked with Leeks

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I'll pass, but the leeks look good.

Teresa said...

Buena comida. Feliz tarde.

Debbie said...

this sounds so delicious and the flowers are beautiful!!!