Total Pageviews

Tuesday 21 March 2023

F is for Fennel, Fenugreek and Figs

Would any of these be your choices? Do you have another dish that would fit 'F is for' ?
Please share your thoughts in the comments below.

F is for Fennel
Fennel is from the same family as the herb and seed of the same name, it's also known as Florence fennel, finocchio, or sweet fennel, and is very popular in Italian cookery. When eaten raw, the texture is crisp and the flavour is quite assertive and aniseedy. Cooked, it's softer and more mellow.
A lovely recipe that uses fennel is 
Cod Parcels Steamed - With Fennel and Herbs
Serve up this pretty parcel of flaky cod, sweet fennel and fresh herbs.
more details/recipe here


F is also for Fenugreek
Fenugreek is a herb that features predominantly in food that most would call spicy. Whether you are making an Indian dish or something from South America such as a Chili Beef, Fenugreek can add subtle hints of sweet and nutty flavour that taste almost like overcooked sugar.
A recipe featuring Fenugreek is 
Cauliflower, Swede & Turnip Curry
more details/recipe here


F is for Figs
Fragrant figs have a rich jammy taste and a soft, chewy texture that works in sweet or savoury recipes. Turkish figs are distinctive in appearance, with a dusky purple-brown skin, and vibrant red flesh inside. Figs don’t ripen after picking, so select plump fruits with unbroken skins.
A recipe using figs is 
Baked figs and goat's cheese with radicchio
more details/recipe here


You will find a variety of recipe ideas within this blog, and it is important to note, not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e., use a reliable meter. If you have any concerns about your health, it is always advisable to consult your doctor or health care team.

Have you seen the choices for:
'A is for' here and 'B is for' here and 'C is for' here and 'D' is for here and 'E' is for here

All the best Jan

32 comments:

peppylady (Dora) said...

I haven't seen figs for a while.
Coffee is on and stay safe

Chatty Crone said...

Your food is so pretty and intersting.

J.P. Alexander said...

Adoro los higos. Gracias por la receta. se ven muy ricos. Te mando un beso.

Sandra Cox said...

I'm not familiar with fenugreek. You taught me something new:)

Tom said...

...I've had none of these.

Catarina said...

I like fennel and I love figs.
Had never heard of fenugreek.

Christine said...

Yummy food!

Angie's Recipes said...

I love them all :-)

Elephant's Child said...

Yum to the fennel and the fenugreek. As a child it was my job to clean up figs that fell from the tree. As a result I am not fond of them.

Margaret D said...

Interesting.

Catherine said...

Love figs and goat cheese, so good!

handmade by amalia said...

Fennel I keep meaning to use but never do
Fenugreek I've never heard of
Figs are popular with us, in summer
Amalia
xo

eileeninmd said...

The last dish looks yummy.
Take care, have a happy day!

CJ Kennedy said...

I never heard of fenugreek. Such a fun word too

Donna said...

Oh! I don't much care for fennel. But love figs...
hugs
Donna

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Fresh figs are divine.

DUTA said...

I like figs. There are lots of food items that start with an F:
Falafel, Fries, Fillet, Flax seeds, Feta cheese, Fiber to name just a few.

Carla from The River said...

I like fennel. I also like to use it in my floral bouquets. It adds a lovely fragrance and fun pop of green.
Carla

Lorrie said...

The only figs here at this time of year are dried ones, also good snipped into a salad with goat cheese. Fenugreek is a herb that I don't think I've tasted. Might be time to branch out!

Iris Flavia said...

Hmmm, fennel and fig - big yes!

The Happy Whisk said...

Hey Jan! Happy Spring! I enjoy fennel and I enjoy figs. Recently got some dried figs to toss into a bake or some sorta fig ball thing. Or maybe both! Also, I love when fennel is in tea!!!!

William Kendall said...

Never had figs. Never even heard of the second.

Cherie said...

F is definitely for fish in my household. I love to spread a jaldrezi sauce over fillets and grill them until cooked. Utterly delicious with a fresh side salad

Elkes Lebensglück said...

Interesting with the Fenugreek, didn't know it was one of the hot stuff. These are all dishes I love!
Greetings Elke

Shari Burke said...

One year we grew fennel in our allotment--it went crazy in the polytunnel. I have never had figs except in fig rolls and have heard of fenugreek but never eaten it. A friend of ours went on a fenugreek kick recently.

Martha said...

I love figs! Only the fresh ones. They are so delicious!

Jeanie said...

Feta and figs? I'm a fan! Fenugreek? Never hear of it!

Conniecrafter said...

I will have to say I have honestly never used any of these in my cooking

♥ Łucja-Maria ♥ said...

Figs and feta cheese is something for me. I love fresh figs.
Hugs and greetings.

Teresa said...

Los higos con queso, me encantan. Besos.

Little Wandering Wren said...

Oh yes please, I'm happy to find figs and feta cheese on the menu and I'd add in some Fish.
Happy days!
Wren x

Mrs.B said...

I Love Fennel and Figs and I'm definitely going to try the Fennel and Cod recipe, Thanks for sharing.
Avril x