Total Pageviews

Friday 13 January 2023

D is for Dark Chocolate, Dill and Donut/Doughnut

Would any of these be your choices? Do you have another dish that would fit 'D is for' ?
Please share your thoughts in the comments below.

D is for Dark Chocolate
You may not want to do any baking, so why not just enjoy a square of dark chocolate.
 Many studies have shown that dark chocolate is incredibly healthy.
Dark chocolate is loaded with fibre and antioxidants,
as well as minerals such as iron, magnesium, copper and manganese.
To make the most of the health benefits,
it is recommended to eat dark chocolate with a cocoa content of 70–85% or higher.
A piece of dark chocolate is especially delicious when enjoyed with a good cup of coffee.

Read more about dark chocolate and see three dark chocolate recipe suggestions here


D is also for Dill
Dill is an important culinary herb that is used for its seeds and leaves.
It was extensively used by the ancient Greeks and Romans.
All parts of the herb can be used for culinary purposes.
The herb is key for the production of dill vinegar (a key cooking ingredient in some recipes).
You will find it used/employed in many sour dishes, especially sauerkraut.
You will find fresh (or dried) dill used in many recipes such as;
lemon sauces for fish, yogurt, sour cream, salad dressings,
spinach dishes, chicken and lamb casseroles.
Because of its delicate nature most chefs add the fresh herb
to their hot recipes just prior to removing from the heat source.
Do you like to use dill in your recipes?

Read more about Dill and see recipe for Pan-fried trout with a cucumber, apple and dill salad here


D is for (delicious) Donut/Doughnut
Can a diabetic eat donuts? Well, yes, if they are a low carb version like these!
At 2g net carbs per donut blood sugars should not go high,
but always check your meter if you have any doubt.
These delicious old-fashioned style keto/low carb cake donuts are covered
in a luscious cream-cheese frosting, and topped with a splash of chocolate drizzle. 
Donut try to resist!

Old-fashioned keto/low carb cake donuts/doughnuts are delicious
more details here


You will find a variety of recipe ideas within this blog, and it is important to note, not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e., use a reliable meter. If you have any concerns about your health, it is always advisable to consult your doctor or health care team.

Have you seen the choices for 'A is for' here and 'B is for' here and 'C is for' here

All the best Jan

30 comments:

William Kendall said...

Admittedly I am not a fan of dark chocolate, and indifferent to doughnuts.

Pam said...

YUM....I like dark choc, dill and donuts!

Tom said...

...those are some delightful donuts!

Sandi said...

Really, though? How donuty are they?

Christine said...

All great choices for D foods!

CJ Kennedy said...

A new study out shows that dark chocolate contains levels of heavy metals like lead and cadmium. https://www.consumerreports.org/health/food-safety/lead-and-cadmium-in-dark-chocolate-a8480295550/

Lowcarb team member said...

CJ Kennedy said...
A new study out shows that dark chocolate contains levels of heavy metals like lead and cadmium. https://www.consumerreports.org/health/food-safety/lead-and-cadmium-in-dark-chocolate-a8480295550/

Hello CJ you won the prize :)
When I included dark chocolate in my post I wondered who would be the first to comment on the new study that has featured in many media outlets and blogs

Before posting I read through an article from Michael Joseph, at Nutrition Advance site, and I will include the link to his full article below, but his final thoughts were:

"This article shows that dark chocolate can be a source of heavy metals like cadmium and lead.

However, even the highest cadmium and lead levels in dark chocolate are easily within reference levels set by the FDA, EFSA, and JEFCA.

The fact that these levels exceed California’s conservative and controversial ‘maximum daily allowance level’ may concern some individuals.

In this case, there is no harm in selecting a dark chocolate bar from the ‘low in cadmium and lead’ category. This may help to minimize exposure and encourage other brands to tackle their heavy metal levels.

That said, it’s unlikely that a few pieces of dark chocolate from time to time is anything to worry about."
This is the link for Michael's article
https://www.nutritionadvance.com/heavy-metals-in-dark-chocolate/

Many thanks for the link you gave in your comment, which I went over and read.

It is both interesting and concerning that (as Michael also stated in his article) lead and cadmium can be a concern. It must be noted that it can be found in many other foods—such as sweet potatoes, spinach, and carrots. Products such as coffee, tea, hot sauces, and whey protein have all been found to contain lead!

Yes, small amounts from multiple sources can add up to dangerous levels. That’s why it’s important to limit exposure when you can. It is best if we know the risks and not overdo it.

In recent times diet/lifestyle choices and nutrition science is changing so fast and it can get quite confusing.

Going back to this post ... for me (and Eddie) we shall continue to enjoy a square of dark chocolate usually the 70% or 74% once or twice a week.

As always the choice of diet, lifestyle, food etc. is a personal one.

Once again 'CJ' many thanks for your comment.

All the best Jan

My name is Erika. said...

Oh chocolate and donuts-yum...yum...yum.I read that article about the chemicals they are finding in dark chocolate. Sadly. Dark chocolate is supposed to be so good for you. And I like dill too. I even grow it in my garden in the summer. Nice post. Have a great weekend.

Lowcarb team member said...

Sandi said...
Really, though? How donuty are they?

Hello Sandi
Many thanks for your comment and question.
Not too sure what you mean by 'How donuty are they?'

Most people I know who have made these Donuts enjoyed them, and importantly if you are a diabetic or someone who wants to cut down on sugar/carbs this recipe can work well.

All the best Jan

The Happy Whisk said...

I love making and shooting doughnuts. Mine though are always low sugar, no eggs, no dairy. LOOOOOVE dill. Grew up around it in the garden. Delightful!

J.P. Alexander said...

Amo el chocolate oscuro. Te mando un beso.

happyone said...

I'd like one of those cookies about now. :)

Lori Miller said...

Dip for dinner!

Kim said...

Dark chocolate and donuts all the way!! Dill? Eh...it's not nearly as much fun!!

Elephant's Child said...

Chocolate and dill yes (though not together). I will pass on the doughnut though.

Kay said...

Oh yes. Yes! I love dark chocolate. But dill? Hmmm...

Elderberry-Rob said...

I like dark chocolate, just a few squares didn't know it was so good for me!

Valerie-Jael said...

Hmmmm, I like all of the Ds! Valerie
Have a great weekend!

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

Chocolate and donuts, YUM! Take care, have a happy weekend.

Jo said...

It would definitely be dark chocolate for me, yum.

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Very tempting and tasty; especially the chocolate.

God bless.

Lorrie said...

I love dark chocolate and eat one square each day after dinner - it signals the end of eating for the day for me, and I've done it for years. But reading about the levels of heavy metals makes me wonder if I should find another "end of eating" trigger. On the other hand, California's safety levels are ridiculous in many areas. Something to think about.

This N That said...

I just love trout!!! Yum

Conniecrafter said...

I do love dill pickles :)
I heard that you have to really watch the kind of chocolate you eat that some brands have high lead content in them, have you heard this, the brand we eat I guess is one of the lower amounts, but it just really surprised me.

Bill said...

I like dark chocolate and dill but don't care for donuts.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I had to laugh at Jan's comment to CJ about California's unreasonable lead etc. standards for chocolate. The last time I was in CA, I was offered a square of 74% dark chocolate. The catch is, it was laced with marijuana, which is legally sold in that state to people with a doctor's permit. CA may be concerned about us "regular" folk, but not those who partake in pot!

I eat dill on everything, including eggs. I make dill butter, too. I use softened salted butter and mix it thoroughly with dill. I then roll it in plastic wrap and chill before I use it.

carol l mckenna said...

They all look delish! Xo

Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Bob Bushell said...

I love it, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm dark choc, beautiful.

Lowcarb team member said...

Conniecrafter said...
I do love dill pickles :)
I heard that you have to really watch the kind of chocolate you eat that some brands have high lead content in them, have you heard this, the brand we eat I guess is one of the lower amounts, but it just really surprised me.

Hello Connie
Many thanks for your comment.
Yes, I had read about the lead content in dark chocolate, please see my reply to CJKennedy, the 7th comment down from the top :)

... and yes, it is a good idea to choose the brands that contain a lower lead level

All the best Jan

Teresa said...

Me gusta el chocolate . Un beso.