Total Pageviews

Tuesday 10 January 2023

Babybel Cheese - Some Questions


What Is Babybel Cheese?

Babybel is a cheese product that comes in 21-gram snack-sized portions. A French company called ‘Le Groupe Bel’ produces it, and the above image shows how the product looks.

The cheese comes in the shape of a tiny wheel, and the original variety of Babybel is packaged in a red wax coating. Babybel is available in ‘Grab & Go’ single packs and multipacks containing six or twelve individually wrapped portions.

Over recent years, more varieties of Babybel have hit the market in various flavours and using different base cheeses. Each one attempts to differentiate itself via the varying colour of its wax coating.

It is possible to buy Babybel in most grocery/supermarket stores.

Is Babybel Real Cheese?
Babybel contains the same ingredients as any other plain cheese: milk, salt, and microbial enzymes (a starter culture for fermentation).

Furthermore, there are no preservatives, artificial colours, flavours, or other additives.

In other words, Babybel is 100% cheese and as “real” as any other traditional cheese, and provides a good amount of protein, vitamin B12, calcium, and phosphorus.

Benefits of Babybel
  • Offers a good source of protein, calcium, and phosphorus. As part of a good overall dietary pattern, this protein, calcium, and phosphorus content can help contribute to muscle growth and bone health.
  • It comes ready-wrapped in convenient single-serve portions, making it an excellent addition to lunch boxes.
  • It is real cheese and can be bought in as little quantity as one single-serving portion.
  • Children enjoy the bright colours of Babybel, and unwrapping the wax coating can be a fun experience.
Downsides of Babybel
  • Gram for gram, the cost of Babybel works out much higher than buying a regular block of cheese. If looking for the most affordable cheese, alternative options offer better value.
  • Like all cheese, Babybel is unsuitable for people with milk or dairy allergies

Common Questions About Babybel
1) How many calories are in Babybel?
Babybel Original has a calorie content of 70 calories, while the light variety contains 50 calories. Depending on the specific variety of Babybel, the caloric content ranges between 50 and 70 calories.

2) What cheese is Babybel made with?
The ‘original’ and ‘light’ varieties of Babybel are made with Edam cheese. However, numerous other colour-coded varieties have come onto the market in recent years, (see original article*).

3) Is Babybel pasteurized?
Yes, Babybel is produced using pasteurized cultured milk.

4) Is Babybel processed?

Yes, Babybel is a processed product, but this is no different from any other cheese. All cheese is ‘processed’ from the original ingredients of milk, salt, and microbial enzymes (starter culture). However, it is worth noting that Babybel contains no colours, flavours, or other additives.

Final Thoughts
Babybel is a nutritious cheese product that provides a good range of essential nutrients.

Like most cheese, it also tastes great and can be a fun little snack for families and younger children.

If these qualities tick your cheese requirements, then Babybel is a great choice.

On the other hand, a large block of cheese would be the better option if looking for the best-value cheese product.
The above and more to read (with all research links) can be seen in article* here

~ xxx ooo xxx ~

Do you like Babybel Cheese, we often have some in the fridge, and the grandchildren all like it 😋

This recipe for Green Eggs and Ham Omelette uses Edam slices
see it here

We bring a variety of articles and recipe ideas to this blog, and not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter. If you have any concerns about your health, it is always advisable to consult your doctor or health care team.

All the best Jan

42 comments:

OLga said...

Grazie dell'informazione!

Divers and Sundry said...

I've seen it and looked into it, but it's more expensive -as you point out- so we end up just picking things from the cheese counter instead...

Tom said...

...I enjoy Babybel cheese and so do our grandchildren.

The Happy Whisk said...

I'm not into cheese or eggs but I DO LOVE that little skillet. OMG. How cute is that??? So cute!

Elephant's Child said...

Cheese is a big weakness of mine. I suspect that if I didn't like it so much I would be a vegan rather than a vegetarian. I try and go for value for money though.

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

Thanks for the info, I've wondered in the past whether it was the same as other cheese.

Christine said...

good information thanks. I will stick with the blocks of cheese then.

Chatty Crone said...

I get that! I usually get the blue light one if I can find it.

Debbie said...

tickle"s my fancy!! i love these little cheeses, they make awesome snacks!!

Lorrie said...

Good information! I only buy it when we're traveling as it keeps very well, and the small portions are simple to serve.

Mary Kirkland said...

I do like that cheese.

Laura. M said...

La tortilla buenísima. Hoy cené una con bonito. Mucha variedad de ellas podemos hacer.
Un abrazo.

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

I love Babyel cheese, and thank you for sharing all the nutritional information about it. It is more expensive, indeed, but easy to grab for a snack, better than other options. Thank you for sharing! Happy New Year to you!

William Kendall said...

I think it's available here.

My name is Erika. said...

I've never tried Babybel cheese, yet you can buy it here in the US. I guess it costs for the individual wrappings. Hope your week is going well.

Practical Parsimony said...

I have only eaten Babybel in the last two years. I like it fine, but it was given to me. I doubt I would ever buy it. A chunk is fine with me. I think I might have bought it when my children were little. But, I wonder if it was even in stores here when my children were little. It is a relief that it is good for you. Even though I am allergic to all mammal products, I do eat cheese, too much cheese.

happyone said...

I must admit I've never had it. It reminds me of gouda and I love that.

Creations By Cindy said...

I am a huge cheese and cracker fan and this cheese to me, is so good. Cost factor I would have to say No. But mercy, nothing cheap anymore! But I do indulge at times on what I really like. LOL! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Sandi said...

Cheese, glorious cheese! 😀

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I bought babybel for the red wax coating I was told could be used in encaustics. Either the cheese went bad, or something, because the cheese tasted bad to me. I don't think I'll be trying it again anytime soon, even though I LOVE cheese.

Teresa said...

Me encanta el queso, pero este no mucho. Besos.

J.P. Alexander said...

Se ve un rico queso. Te mando un beso.

Conniecrafter said...

I have not tried babybel, I think my hubby did buy some for his lunches before the pandemic but then he started working from home so quit buying it.

peppylady (Dora) said...

I been craving Omelets.
Coffee is on and stay safe

Catarina said...

I always have Babybell at home. Light Babybell.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Bought it in a rush, good flavor, not a good price.

Jo said...

We haven't bought Babybel for years but always bought it when the kids were little, not for Daniel as he's never liked cheese, but Eleanor loved them in her lunchbox for school. How can anyone not like cheese?

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Nice cheese but relatively costly compared to others.

God bless.

linda said...

A very interesting article, it's good to know that it is just cheese with no additives and 70 calories per portion isn't too bad, I do buy it on occasion.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
I like the Babybel cheese, they are a nice snack.
Take care, enjoy your day!

R's Rue said...

I love Babybel cheese

Iris Flavia said...

When I am sick Babybel is sometimes all I get down....
What I dislike is the amound of waste it creates, though.

Phil Slade said...

I must admit I wouldn't dream of buying Babybel because it doesn't look real. So I found your information reassuring but as per the last comment, there does seem to be a lot of waste. And what's wrong with a good slab of Crumbly Lancashire?

Valerie-Jael said...

My grandchildren used to love Babybel when they were small! Valerie

Bill said...

Good tasting cheese.

Maria Rodrigues said...

A very interesting and complete article.
Here at home we like it a lot.
Have a wonderful January.
A big hug
Maria

It's me said...

I never eat it…..🤔🙈 happy week love from me and Leaf 🍀🐾🍀❤️

Lowcarb team member said...

Many thanks for all of your comments to this post.

Please note that both the wrapper and wax used for Babybel is completely recyclable and biodegradable.

The main reason Babybel comes in wax is to provide a protective and safe coating. Not only does this help Babybel to retain its moisture, thus preventing it from going dry, but it also helps to prevent the formation of mold. Therefore, your Babybel’s freshness is perfectly retained until you choose to break the wax and eat it.

The actual wax that is used to protect Babybel happens to be extremely cheap to produce, and it’s also completely recyclable. So, in effect, there is absolutely no waste factor from surrounding Babybel with wax.

This is even true of the red cellophane wrapper, which once more is completely biodegradable.

More to read here
https://choosingcheese.com/why-does-babybel-cheese-come-in-wax/

All the best Jan

Carla from The River said...

I LOVE CHEESE. I live in the cheese state of Wisconsin. We are blessed with many independent cheese makers. I just had slices of white cheddar with my lunch. :-)

baili said...

Very informative dear Jan

Thanks for sharing

Jeanie said...

I've seen these before but never bought it. Now I think I will. It looks good and I like the pre-measured portion. I love cheese and if left to my devices, my "portion" is probably too big!

This N That said...

I have one of these almost every day...Great portion control..Glad it got a favorable review..Thanks