Total Pageviews

Monday 31 July 2023

July : National Blueberry Month

I do hope you have been enjoying some blueberries during July because it is known as National Blueberry month. Don't worry if you haven't, you still have time, and of course why not enjoy some next month too!


Do you like blueberries? Eddie and I enjoy them simply served with double (heavy) cream.

Of course there are many low carb recipes that make good use of blueberries:
Here are five:-
Blueberry and Cinnamon Omelette, more details here
Blueberry Courgette (Zucchini) Cake with Lemon Frosting, more details here
Cheesecake with Blueberries, more details here
Blueberry Chaffles, more details here
Blueberry Coconut Cake, more details here

Some Tips for Preparing Blueberries
Fresh berries are very fragile and should be washed briefly and carefully and then gently patted dry if they are not organic. Wash berries just prior to use to not prematurely remove the protective bloom that resides on the skin's surface. If you know the source of either wild or organic berries try not to wash them at all.

When using frozen berries in recipes that do not require cooking, thaw well and drain prior to using.

Blueberries retain their maximum amount of nutrients and their maximum taste when they are enjoyed fresh and not prepared in a cooked recipe.
Read more about blueberries here


thank you for visiting  this blog
~ enjoy your day ~ 

This blog brings a variety of articles and recipe ideas, and it is important to note, not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter. If you have any concerns about your health, it is always advisable to consult your doctor or health care team.

All the best Jan

27 comments:

Tom said...

...blueberries are a summer treat.

Lady Caer Morganna said...

I LOVE blueberries!!!

Linda said...

I used to love blueberries, especially fresh picked ones. Unfortunately, raw fruits now make my gums sore.

Christine said...

Yummy

J.P. Alexander said...

Me encantan los arĂ¡ndanos. Te mando un beso.

Elephant's Child said...

I would be happy for every month to be blueberry month. Like most fruit I prefer it raw.

roentare said...

I eat plenty of berries each week and that raises my budget significantly

Margaret D said...

They are so nice.

Fun60 said...

I enjoy them with muesli and low fat greek yoghurt for breakfast.

Rustic Pumpkin said...

A real treat, I tried growing them, the birds were well fed I was not.

Valerie-Jael said...

I love blueberries all year round, yummy! Valerie

Jo said...

I love blueberries and eat a few nearly every day. I gave my blueberry plants to Eleanor when we moved house and she's harvesting daily at the moment otherwise the birds get them before she does.

chica said...

Muito bom e mirtilos fazem bem! beijos, lindo AGOSTO! chica

eileeninmd said...

I love blueberries! I add them to my yogurt.
Take care, have a happy new week!

roughterrain crane said...

I just bought fresh blueberries yesterday.

Divers and Sundry said...

Blueberries never last long enough to do anything with around here lol I eat them by the handful.

CJ Kennedy said...

Blueberries are the Eldest's favorite fruit. She eats them straight out of the produce container.

Debbie said...

i LOVE blueberries and blueberry pie is my favorite pie!! such pretty flowers!!

Jeanie said...

I love blueberries -- especially fresh ones. I wonder by you dry non-oroganic? This is a really interesting post and I'm glad to read it because blueberry season has arrived in Michigan and the tips are great~

baili said...

Thank you dear Jan for useful and informative sharing.
More blessings to you and loved ones

Magaly Guerrero said...

I had no idea blueberries had a month. Good for them. I love them with Greek yogurt and roasted pecans.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Frozen blueberries, a dash of sugar with milk or cream, let set, and stir into a blueberry ice.

Jules said...

I love blueberries. I think I might try growing some next year. X

Rajani Rehana said...

Beautiful blog

William Kendall said...

I've always liked blueberries.

Conniecrafter said...

yes we love them, I like the frozen ones for my smoothies

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Who knew there was a national blueberry month?