Total Pageviews

Friday 10 November 2023

'Arthritis May Be a Metabolic Disturbance, Not Wear and Tear'

Steve Parker, M.D at Diabetic Mediterranean Blog recently posted about 'Arthritis May Be a Metabolic Disturbance, Not Wear and Tear' an interesting read.

I have copied his words and image but you will need to go across to his blog for the relevant links, highlighted in italics, please see link to his blog below. 


"Radical new information on osteoarthritis from Paul Ingraham:

One of the most deeply held beliefs in musculoskeletal medicine is that osteoarthritis is a “wear and tear” condition — that joints slowly crumble under the onslaught of gravity and use and abuse. This fundamentally mechanical view of arthritis directly suggests that the heavier we are, the more likely we are to have trouble in our load-bearing joints.

But that’s just not the case: osteoarthritis prevalence doubled in the 20th Century independent of age and weight (Wallace 2017).

So something else has to be going on. People got heavier on average, but not twice as heavy!

Or consider this: obese people get more osteoarthritis of the hand (Jiang 2016), but probably not because they are walking on their hands.

So … why?

This post weaves together the threads of several past posts about the biochemical foundations of seemingly “mechanical” problems, and you may recognize some pieces. But this is an all-new synthesis, anchored by some good science news you can use — practical and encouraging, which is a rare pleasure.

It’s a short read, well worth your time."

Steve Parker, M.D. blog link to this post is here

All the best Jan

25 comments:

My name is Erika. said...

This sounds fascinating. I'm off to give it a read, and will thank you in advance. Happy weekend ahead too.

Tom said...

...whatever causes arthritis, it's a pain!

Christine said...

Interesting concept.

DUTA said...

Interesting. I believe that if we watch our body's reactions regularly (as retirees we've got the time to do so), we might sometimes find the right answers. The thing is, people run immediately to the doctor with every apparent disorder without trying to understand and investigate it first.

Inger said...

Thanks for this, I will read the post. I don't have any problems with osteoarthritis, but who knows what the future may bring.

♥ Łucja-Maria ♥ said...

Very interesting post. You raised important issues.
Have a happy weekend:)

eileeninmd said...

Interesting post! I thought my arthritis is from a previous hand surgeries and an injury to my neck. Take care, have a great weekend!

Valerie-Jael said...

Thanks, I will read that article. Valerie

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Interesting.
I say though, when I lose weight, my knew pain is greatly reduced.

CJ Kennedy said...

Interesting

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

Very interesting article, Jan. Pondering this idea.

Elephant's Child said...

Fascinating. Thank you. I have been lucky and don't have arthritis. My partner does.

roentare said...

It is an interesting new theory. I would buy the theory.

Linda said...

Very interesting!

happyone said...

Interesting.

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Thank you for all your good work on this Blog, Jan.

God bless.

J.P. Alexander said...

Muy interesante. Te mando un beso.

DeniseinVA said...

That’s a very interesting read, thanks for sharing Jan and all the best for a great weekend.

Granny Marigold said...

I have arthritis and will be reading what this fellow has to say. Thanks for posting.

Louca por porcelana said...

Very interesting. Hugs and blessings.

Conniecrafter said...

I always thought it may be my weight why my knee is so bad but my SIL who isn't over weight has had to knee replacements so far and eats very well too!

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

I shall have to look at that.

Jeanie said...

This is very interesting. Definitely worth checking out.

Divers and Sundry said...

It's interesting. Thanks!

Teresa said...

Es muy interesante para mí, pasaré a verlo. Besos.