Total Pageviews

Sunday 12 November 2023

Remembrance Sunday 2023 - We Will Remember Them

On Sunday 12 November, the National Service of Remembrance will be held at the Cenotaph on Whitehall, London, UK. Starting at 11am, the service will commemorate the contribution of British and Commonwealth military and civilian servicemen and women involved in the two World Wars and later conflicts.


We will remember them, and say thank you to the brave men and women,
past and present who fight to preserve our freedoms.

In Flanders' fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place: and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders' fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe;
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high,
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders' Fields.

After the First World War, the poppy was adopted as a symbol of Remembrance.

In the spring of 1915, shortly after losing a friend in Ypres, a Canadian doctor, Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae was inspired by the sight of poppies growing in battle-scarred fields to write the now famous poem called 'In Flanders Fields'.

Jan and Eddie

16 comments:

Tom said...

...poppies are a wonderful symbol!

Anonymous said...

And we do remember them.

Tina

Kay said...

It makes me sad every time I see that poem. We honor our veterans today on the 11th in the U.S. I wish we could learn from our past, but still... there are wars and still soldiers and civilians die.

Elephant's Child said...

Lest we forget.

Christine said...

Let us honour them.

eileeninmd said...

Love the poem and the poppies!
We will remember them!
Take care, happy Sunday! Have a great week.

Donna said...

A beautiful flower for beautiful people...
hugs
Donna

Inger said...

The poem makes me tear up every time I read it. Thanks for sharing it and the poppies.

Mary Kirkland said...

Very nice.

Lee said...

Lest We Forget....I shall always respect our Service people, past, present, and future....

Lorrie said...

When I was in Grade 7, I was asked to read In Flanders Fields at the school assembly for the Remembrance Day service. I knew it by heart, and still do, but the teacher thought there would be more gravitas if I read it, so I had the words in front of me. Such a poignant poem, and certainly the world would do well to reflect on it.

Jeanie said...

I have a copy of this poem on my desk. It never fails to move me.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Lovely poem . God bless America and all of our veterans past and present.

Conniecrafter said...

So thankful to those that have given their lives and those that fight today for our freedoms!

Teresa said...

Un bonito recuerdo. Las amapolas son preciosas. Besos.

William Kendall said...

That poem moves so many.