Total Pageviews

Friday 3 November 2023

'Higher intakes of animal and fish protein linked to lower risk of hip fracture'

Association between total and animal proteins with risk of fracture: A systematic review and dose-response meta-analysis of cohort studies

Abstract

Previous cohort studies have indicated that consumption of total and animal proteins are related to fracture risk; however, results were inconclusive. This dose-dependent review sought to summarize the earlier evidence regarding the relation between total and animal proteins and fracture risk. We searched Scopus, PubMed, and Web of Science until July 2023 for original research articles examining the association of certain types of proteins and the incidence of all fractures in general adults.

Summary relative risks (RRs) were calculated using random effects analysis to examine the relation between each certain amount (g/day) increment of total and animal protein and fracture risk.

Twenty cohort studies with serious to moderate risk of bias involving 780,322 individuals were included.

There was a non-statistically significant relation between intake of animal proteins and dairy products and all fracture risk.

However, 43% and 5% decreased incidence of fracture was obtained with total protein (RR, 0.57; 95%CI, 0.36 to 0.93; per 100 g/day) and fish (RR, 0.95; 95%CI, 0.91 to 0.99; per 15 g/day) intake.

Every 100 g/day total and animal protein consumption and every 15 g/day fish consumption were linked to 48%, 50%, and 5% lower hip fracture risk.

Greater dietary animal protein intake might reduce risk of hip but not fracture at any site. We obtained a lower risk of any or hip fracture with greater total protein (per 100 g/day) and fish (per 15 g/day) intake. No evidence was obtained that higher intake of dairy could decrease risk of fracture.

Above words/more can be seen here
h/t Marks Daily Apple here

Related Post
Protein - some facts - see here


Articles / studies within this blog are provided for general information only, and should not be treated as a substitute for the medical advice of your own doctor or any other health care professional. If you have any concerns about your general health, including medication, you should contact your Doctor/local health care provider.

All the best Jan

24 comments:

My name is Erika. said...

Interesting. They so often say animal proteins are bad for you that it's good to hear some good news.

Tom said...

...and no one wants a broken hip!

Kay said...

And here I was feeling guilty about having a Costco hotdog today. :-D
Not to worry... I shall try to add more fish to our diet.

J.P. Alexander said...

Si hay que cuidarse. Te mando un beso.

Angie's Recipes said...

I am all for the animal protein! Meat heals :-)) I feel the best when I don't eat any plant at all though I do LOVE certain veggies.

Anonymous said...

Good to know -Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

Margaret D said...

Interesting post Jan.

Little Wandering Wren said...

That is interesting! I'm happy to up my fish protein for this!
Have a great weekend.
Wren x

roentare said...

This is a very useful info on animal protein reducing osteoporosis fracture

eileeninmd said...

This is good news! Take care, have a great day and a happy weekend!

Jeanie said...

Yay! Good news because I eat a lot of fish!

Conniecrafter said...

another good reason to continue to eat meat :) Have a great weekend!

Linda said...

Interesting. For some reason, people like to put everything into a simple category and say this is good, this is bad. I’m afraid I get very annoyed with vegan proselytizing

♥ Łucja-Maria ♥ said...

Very interesting post. I love Atlantic cod, smoked mackerel and tuna in oil.
I love matias herrings.
Hugs and greetings from autumn Poland.

Bill said...

Good info to know, thanks Jan.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

I have been listening to podcasts that are advocating more animal protein than the average standards.. This is a very interesting post. Thanks.

Valerie-Jael said...

I must eat more protein! Valerie

Caty said...

Really very interesting Jan! Thanks so much for sharing. I think I have to eat more animal proteine so. I wish you a great weekend,
Big hugs, Caty

happyone said...

Interesting, thanks for the info.

Debbie said...

this is great information as we are all getting older and at greater risk!!

John's Island said...

I appreciate your efforts to get this healthy information to our attention. Thank you Jan!

Phil Slade said...

It having a good balance. I have to watch my meat and fish intake because I sometimes get gout. A most unpleasant ailment that I do not recommend.

Divers and Sundry said...

That's good to know. Thanks!

Teresa said...

Tus entradas siempre son interesantes. Besos.