Total Pageviews

Wednesday 30 August 2017

Take Two Super Salads : Avocado, Bacon & Blueberry or Triple Berry

A tale of two super salads, which one would you prefer? You may try them both! With August nearing it's end, and in the Northern Hemisphere we see the approach of Autumn (the Fall), perhaps we should make some time to enjoy a late summer salad! Now there's a good idea ...


The Avocado, Bacon and Blueberry Salad is a tasty salad that's super quick to make. Packed with creamy avocado, peppery rocket (arugula) and Smokey bacon topped with a delicious fruity dressing.

Ingredients:
Serves Four
8 rashers smoked streaky bacon
100g (3 1/2oz) rocket (arugula)
1 large avocado, chopped
100g (3 1/2oz) blueberries

For the dressing
50g (2oz) blueberries
2 tbsp. olive oil
1/2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
1 tsp clear honey

Method:
1. Heat a non-stick frying pan over a high heat and cook the bacon for two minutes on each side, until crisp. Set aside to cool completely.
2. Meanwhile, make the dressing. Put the blueberries, oil, vinegar, mustard and honey into the bowl of a food processor (or use a stick blender) and whizz to combine. Season well.
3. In a serving bowl, toss together the rocket (arugula), avocado and blueberries, then crumble over the bacon and drizzle with the blueberry dressing.

Per Serving:
Carbohydrate 8.3g Protein 7.8g Fibre 1.3g Fat 25.1g
From an original idea here


Triple Berry Salad is so colourful and absolutely delicious. Just have a read of the ingredients and your taste buds are already in action savouring the great taste. Make a note of the ingredients - go out and get them and then just make and enjoy this super summery salad.

Ingredients:
Serves 4
9oz baby spinach, torn
1 cup sliced strawberries
1 cup raspberries
1 cup blueberries
1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
1/3 cup chopped basil
1 avocado, chopped
4oz goat cheese


Directions:
Divide baby spinach between plates then top with berries, almonds*, basil and chopped avocado. Crumble goat cheese on top then dress with salad dressing. You could use a strawberry balsamic vinegar, but any olive-oil based vinaigrette would be fantastic.

So easy and fabulously fresh, no-cook, and light ... yet filling from the goat cheese and avocado. You could if you wish serve it with some grilled chicken breast marinated in some of that balsamic vinegar. Dear readers it's entirely up to you.

*The easiest way to toast almonds is to spread them on a plate and microwave in thirty second increments until they’re golden brown.
See original recipe idea here 

If you need help with measurement conversion please see here

A variety of recipe ideas are within this blog. Please note, not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

25 comments:

Catarina said...

I like them both!

The pictures are fabulous.
: )

Stephanie said...

Both salads look amazing, but I must confess that the first one has my mouth watering. I must make this for my family soon as I believe my husband would also enjoy it {{smiles}}

Thinking of you, dear Jan. Hugs!

Jo said...

I like the sound of them both, just so long as the avocado is left out of the first one.

Tom said...

...what an interesting combination.

Christine said...

Interesting dressing and a yummy salad!

JFM said...

Excellent post Jan!
Both look delicious and so colorful!!!

Hugs 💮

Adam said...

nice salad

Elephant's Child said...

The second one, just as is, sounds delicious. Without the bacon I would love the first too. Thank you.
Salads have come a long way haven't they?

Bill said...

Sounds good and very creative. I'll have to try them both.

Bob Bushell said...

Beauty...............I love the second one, more earthy.

DeniseinVA said...

Oh yes, these are so delicious. I am looking forward to trying these. Thanks Jan :)

Debbie said...

These both sound amazing, I love berries in my salad. These salads are so much more fun to make in the summer when all of the seasonal items and berries are fresh!

Susan Kane said...

Such a beautiful salad. E.C. is right. Salads ain't what they used to be.

Anonymous said...

I will go with the second one. I want to reduce my weight and keep myself healthy. I have started this on my daily basis:)

PerthDailyPhoto said...

I am so looking forward to scrumptious salads Jan, have tagged the two here for future spring/summer barbecues ☺

Carol Blackburn said...

Both salads are interesting but I think I'd prefer the first one best. I love blueberries......
Thanks for sharing.
Have a great day.

RO said...

Both of these look tasty and definitely worth a try. Thanks for sharing! Hugs...RO

Nikki (Sarah) said...

I love love love blueberries. We actually pick them near us and eat them like that. The only thing is the season doesn't last very long to pick them fresh. Your recipes are great. Different salads than my parents made. Have a great rest of the week Guys. Countdown to kids going back to school. :)

eileeninmd said...

Hello, both of these salads look delicious. I love avocado! Have a happy day!

Mary Kirkland said...

I just made a salad last month with grapes in it. I've never added fruit to them before but it was surprisingly good. I'll have to do this too.

Kezzie said...

OOoh, they do look fresh, healthy and sumptuous!!

Snowbird said...

Oh....I have to go with the avocado one, I'm a little obsessed by it at the moment, especially on toast.xxx

Magic Love Crow said...

Thanks so much Jan! They look amazing!

Carla from The River said...

YUMMY. I am going to put salad on the menu. :-) We have been busy eating eggplant. Our eggplant did well this year in the garden.

Lorrie said...

Both of these look wonderful. The first one is a new combination and sounds delicious.