Total Pageviews

Saturday 6 April 2024

Aprils Birth Flower : The Daisy

We have quite a few family (and friends) birthdays in April and here in the UK it can be a lovely spring-time month. If you were born in April you are blessed with two birth flowers, daisies and fragrant sweet peas.

Daisies are everywhere, popping up along roadsides, in fields, and gardens, and they are popular for playing the classic “he loves me, he loves me not” game.

Sweet peas’ with their colourful petals cluster at the ends of long stems, fill the air with the delightful scent of spring.

This post shares some facts about the Daisy, a post about sweet peas will follow shortly.


Did you know!
Technically, a daisy flower head is not just one flower but actually two in one. The central cluster, called the disc floret, is distinct from the surrounding petals, which is called the ray.

Daisies are safe to eat and can be used as garnish or incorporated into salads or soups. The raw leaves can also be eaten, but they could leave a bitter taste in your mouth.

You’re not wrong if you think daisies look like miniature sunflowers. Both flowers belong to the same large family called Asteraceae.

Daisies are tough plants capable of adapting to different habitats. As a result, they flourish everywhere on the globe except Antarctica.

On April 18, 2009, 331 people gathered on an Italian TV show to play the world’s largest game of “He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not” with daisies.

This flower gets its name “daisy” from the Old English term daes eag, meaning “day’s eye.” This comes from its behaviour of shutting its petals at night and unwrapping them in the morning.

Bees love daisies, so you’re likely to find them buzzing around fields of this flower. The flat arrangement of daisy petals makes it easy for the bees to access the pollen they use for food.

Daisies were traditionally used to make herbal medicines for colds. Modern studies have revealed that these humble plants contain almost as much vitamin C as lemons, which could help fight a cold.

Over 20,000 daisy species exist, and they come in various colours, including pink, yellow, white, and blue.

Daisies are the official flowers of the fifth wedding anniversary. They are also said to represent purity and innocence.

I hope you enjoyed this reading this post. You may now like to read this one about 'Some Foods In Season During April' which also has some recipe suggestions - see here

All the best Jan

34 comments:

J.P. Alexander said...

Me gustan las margaritas. Te mando un beso.

Dee said...

I did not know daisies were April's flower. Our son is an April baby. (Of course, not a baby anymore. He's a full grown almost old man by now, but he'll always be my baby. LOL)

Linda said...

My son, first child, was born in April

Rose said...

I had no idea there were that many daisy species. I had three sisters and have one daughter born in April.

The Happy Whisk said...

Daisies are my fave.

CJ Kennedy said...

I never knew daisies were edible. Very cool.

Tom said...

...daisies are simple and simply beautiful.

Mari said...

Daisies are one of my favorites. They're so cheerful!

Granny Marigold said...

Daisies are one of the most dependable perennials that I grow. Others may not make it through a rough winter but Daisies are hardy and go on to bloom for weeks and weeks.

Elephant's Child said...

I love daisies - and sweet peas too.

Anonymous said...

Very interesting facts thank you! -Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

roentare said...

They are considered as funeral flowers in Taiwan.

Margaret D said...

Good read on daisies Jan.
We too have a lot of birthdays this month.

Lee said...

I love daisies. When my now late ex and I married I had a bouquet of daisies, and a posy of them on the waistline of my dress. (Randall passed away five years ago...but still means so much to me...always will. Even though we divorced...we remained good friends)

Take care. :)

chica said...

Lindo post! Gosto muito das margaridas! beijos, ótimo fds! chica

jabblog said...

I love seeing the little, common or garden humble daisies in the grass. I didn't know they were edible, though. Sweet peas are very pretty, but - whisper it! - I don't like their scent.

Donna said...

Daisies are so sweet a flower...
Have a peaceful weekend!
hugs
Donna

eileeninmd said...

I love Daisies, they are so pretty!
Have a great weekend!

♥ Łucja-Maria ♥ said...

I love daisies and polka dots. These are such beautiful flowers. Congratulations on your April celebrations.
Hugs and greetings.

Caroline said...

Beautiful flower the daisy. Have a nice weekend !

Norma2 said...

Jean, interesting what you tell us, especially about its edible petals. Be careful, you have to make sure they don't have pesticides.

José Antonio Sánchez Rumí said...

As always very interesting, I knew a lot about daisies but they are always learned with you.
Best regards.

Valerie-Jael said...

I love daisies. I'm pleased to see that many people here have their lawns covered with daisies and dandelions, so pretty, and good for the bees! Valerie

Stefania said...

Grazie mille per tutte queste interessanti notizie, e pensare che è un fiorellino così piccolo

Jeanie said...

I didn't know that. Daisies are such a cheerful and happy flower. I love seeing them.

happyone said...

I didn't know that about daisies but I sure do like them. Have a quite a few of them out front of my house and look forward to their blooming.

Giorgio said...

Interesting info about Antarctica flowers. I enjoyed this post!
Have a nice Weekend ☀️

My name is Erika. said...

The daisy is such a beautiful flower-simple, sweet and full of summer joy.

P-and-P said...

That was very interesting to read. Thank you! :)

Carla from The River said...

Hi, love your month posts and that you are sharing even more information with us about flowers, birthstones and more.
I like how the daisy got its name. :-)
And 20,000 varieties!!! WOW!!!

Carla

baili said...

daises are one of the most beautiful flower Jan

i love having them in my garden in early spring days after mid February

i too find them gorgeous bros of sunflowers :)
thanks for lovely sharing
blessings

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Daisies are a lovely flower.

Conniecrafter said...

I didn't know how much Daisy's are used for, I haven't seen any this year so far.

Teresa said...

Me encantó saber más sobre las margaritas, es una flor preciosa. Gracias y besos.