Total Pageviews

Wednesday 3 April 2024

Chicken, pancetta and fennel stew : A tasty midweek dish


Goodness, it's Wednesday already! Perhaps you may like this simple chicken, pancetta and fennel stew dish for a tasty mid-week meal. It is a fuss-free, flavour-packed family dish – and you can easily amend the ingredients to suit the number of people sitting down to eat this dish. 

Ingredients
Serves Four
2 tbsp olive oil
600g (1lb 3oz) chicken thigh fillets, halved lengthways
1 onion, sliced
1 fennel bulb, trimmed and sliced
3 garlic cloves, sliced
65g smoked pancetta cubes
600ml (1 pint) chicken stock
100g (3 1/2oz) frozen peas
1 x 400g tin cannellini beans, drained and rinsed *
3 tbsp yogurt
1 lemon, zested and juiced
15g fresh mint, chopped
15g fresh tarragon, chopped

Optional - crusty bread to serve

Method

Heat half the oil in a casserole or large lidded pan over a medium-high heat. Season the chicken and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, until golden. Remove from the dish and set aside.

Heat the remaining oil and cook the onion and fennel with a pinch of salt for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and pancetta, then cook for a further 2 minutes. Return the chicken to the casserole or pan, pour over the stock, bring to the boil then simmer for 20 minutes.

Add the peas and beans and cook for a further 3 minutes. Stir in the yogurt, lemon zest and juice, and herbs, until heated through.

* If preferred use a smaller tin of beans and add some carrot

Optional - Some may like to serve it alongside some crusty bread. If you prefer a low carb bread how about this one here or perhaps this one here

Each serving 
Carbohydrate 17.8g Protein 38.5g Fibre 9g Fat 27g

Recipe idea from here
If you prefer a vegetarian stew, you might like this recipe here

You will find a variety of recipe ideas within this blog, but please note, not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter. If you have any concerns about your health, it is always advisable to consult your doctor or health care team.

All the best Jan

28 comments:

Mari said...

This is another good looking recipe. I've never cooked with fennel, it's not common in our area, but I've heard it's good.

J.P. Alexander said...

Gracias por la receta. Te mando un beso.

Tom said...

...fennel is something that I've never had.

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious -Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

aussie aNNie said...

Your post always are mouth watering.
Hope you guys had a great and holy Easter

Lorrie said...

I love the taste of fennel. A delicious looking dish. Would probably leave the beans out.

peppylady (Dora) said...

It been sometime since I used fennel.

Angie's Recipes said...

Looks very satisfying and tasty.

roentare said...

That looks like a very heart warming dish

Elephant's Child said...

Fennel is wonderful isn't it? I use it fresh and the dried seeds too.

Sara - Villa Emilia said...

Thank you for an interesting recipe, dear Jan!
Usually I love all the recipes suggested here but fennel is something I don't especially like. :) I would probably use only chicken and pancetta, two ingredients everybody loves.
Your previous post was very interesting, too. I didn't know that in the UK, the custom of changing the clocks twice a year has been around for more than a century. In Finland, we do it since the 1980's. For me it's OK because when spring comes with much light, I already tend to wake up earlier. 1,600 clocks that need to be changed are many. :)
Happy April to you! 💚🌷🤗

jabblog said...

Adding pancetta really livens up a dish, doesn't it?

Margaret D said...

It looks good Jan.

eileeninmd said...

Looks like a delicious meal!
Thanks for sharing!
Take care, enjoy your day and the week ahead.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Hi Jan, another delicious looking meal and all in one pot makes it even better!

Thanks for your recent comments on my blog posts and sorry to have read that your comments disappeared (?) I do check for spam every day and am quick to delete those that are most definitely unwanted. I am careful never to delete a legitimate comment and hopefully did not delete any of yours.

Valerie-Jael said...

Sounds very yummy! Hugs, Valerie

CJ Kennedy said...

My mother used to cook fennel.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Stews are always a welcome idea. I love the idea of the one pot. This looks delicious.

midorilinea said...

This looks absolutely delicious! Will definitely have to save this recipe and make it one day! Thanks so much for sharing and I hope you have an amazing spring season!

xoxo, Midori

https://www.midorilinea.com/blogs/midori-linea/my-daughters-turns-one-photoshoot

happyone said...

Looks like another delicious meal.

Jeanie said...

I love fennel. I think I need to try this one!

Lowcarb team member said...

REPLY TO
Beatrice P. Boyd who said...
Hi Jan, another delicious looking meal and all in one pot makes it even better!

Thanks for your recent comments on my blog posts and sorry to have read that your comments disappeared (?) I do check for spam every day and am quick to delete those that are most definitely unwanted. I am careful never to delete a legitimate comment and hopefully did not delete any of yours.

Hello there, and thanks for your comment.
This is a tasty meal, I hope you may try it soon!

With regard to commenting, I think many of us are experiencing difficulties with comments and commenting at the moment.
I noticed my comments on your Easter post are thankfully still there, although I had to comment twice for them to show...
Anyway we keep trying, and like you I do check spam folder everyday.

Wishing you a happy new month of April.

All the best Jan

bread&salt said...

Looks very delicious and hearty with the rich ingredients. Thanks for the recipe. Greetings.

baili said...

worth trying dear Jan
Really tasty and nice it looks :)))

This N That said...

Sure looks good. Probably good leftovers too. I don’t think I’ve ever had fennel. I hope you are having a good week.

Anonymous said...

Looks tasty, indeed! Something I'd sure like to try!

Conniecrafter said...

We are having a cool spell here again so this looks nice and warm!

Teresa said...

Seguro que está muy sabroso. Besos.