Total Pageviews

Monday 1 April 2024

Welcome April 2024

I've found that the first three months of 2024 has whizzed by,
and now it's time to say goodbye to March as we welcome April.



We know April is the fourth month of the year, but that’s only by the Gregorian calendar that we adhere to now. It was previously the fifth month in the earlier Julian calendar.

April also only had 29 days, but a 30th day was added when Julius Caesar established the Julian calendar.

In the Southern Hemisphere, April is the seasonal equivalent to October.

No one is sure how the month ended up with its name, but we do know the Romans named it “Aprillis.”

The etymology behind the word “April” comes from the verb “aperire,” which means “to open.” It’s commonly believed that the word refers to the season of trees and flowers begin to “open” or bloom.

Those who were born in April have a diamond as their birthstone, which represents innocence.

Aprils birth flower is either a Daisy or a Sweet Pea.

There are two zodiac signs in April. Aries, which is until April 19th, and Taurus, which is April 20th and onwards.

Of course, one of the most well-known dates of April, is April Fools’ Day on the 1st of the month. No one is sure where this originated from, but some believe it to be inspired by Geoffrey Chaucer’s story in “Canterbury Tales” called “Nun’s Priest’s Tale.”

Whatever you plan to do during the month of April, I hope it will be a good month for you.

Oh, how fresh the wind is blowing!
See! The sky is bright an clear,
Oh, how green the grass is growing!
April! April! Are you here?
Dora R. Goodale (1866–1953)

Perhaps you may find time to enjoy these 😋


Low Carb Devonshire Scones
Delicious, nutritious and sugar free,
these scones go perfectly with a cup of tea or coffee
more details here

~ Wishing you a happy April 2024 ~

Dear reader, you will find a variety of articles, studies etc. plus recent news/views and recipe ideas within this blog, we hope something for everyone to read and enjoy ... but please note, not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter. If you have any concerns about your health, it is always advisable to consult your doctor or health care team.

All the best Jan

31 comments:

Creations By Cindy said...

I hope that your Easter was wonderful! Happy April. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Tom said...

...Jan, enjoy your Aril!

Catarina said...

Love scones.
Happy April!
: )

J.P. Alexander said...

Ten un genial ems de abril . Te mando un beso.

Elephant's Child said...

You are so right about the year whizzing by so far...

Christine said...

Happy April-Christine cmlk79.bogsoot.com

Mari said...

That was some interesting information on April. I'm glad it's here, soon the warmer weather will come. We have a mini vacation scheduled for the end of the month.

Rustic Pumpkin said...

The speed with which the year is flying by is frightening. Love reading the information you find, one of the best an most comprehensive I read. March certainly came in like a lion and I suppose was more lamb like leaving than lion like. Let us hope for better weather in April! We sure could use it!

Margaret D said...

Interesting Jan.

Barwitzki said...

I wish you a wonderful month of April too and I'll get to work baking scones...
Thank you very much.
Lots of love to you.

jabblog said...

The scones look delicious.
I'm an Aries, but should really be a Taurus, as I go about things headfirst.

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Amazing how you research so many facts and recipes to publish here. Thank you so much.

God bless.

eileeninmd said...

Happy April to you!
Take care, enjoy your day and have a great week ahead.

My name is Erika. said...

Happy April to you. I always enjoy your first of the month posts.

roughterrain crane said...

A happy April to you, too!

José Antonio Sånchez Rumí said...

Very interesting facts, I like to learn, just comment that around here the day of the Holy Innocents is celebrated on December 28th.
Have a great week.
Happy April
Best regards

Dee said...

Happy April, Jan.

I'm using today to get "back on track" with my carb counting and water drinking. I sort of fell off the wagon last week. :-(

♥ Ɓucja-Maria ♥ said...

I hope the holidays were joyful and successful.
I wish you a happy and sunny April.
I send you hugs and greetings.

R's Rue said...

I’d like a scone

The Furry Gnome said...

April will do well by me if spring would just arrive!

Hena Tayeb said...

Happy Easter. My mom and nephew celebrate their birthdays' this month.

CJ Kennedy said...

Rabbit, rabbit, white rabbit.

Back2OurSmallCorner said...

Have a lovely April month and I would really enjoy eating those scones x

Carla from The River said...

Our son Sam has an April birthday. :-)

Rose said...

One of my daughters is an April baby! So a very good month for me.

happyone said...

Scones look yummy and I love the red and white dishes.

DVArtist said...

Nice information for April. It is my birthday month.

Jeanie said...

That's interesting about the etymology of the word April. I love sweet peas! And also love the photo with the scones and the pretty dishes. I need to check out that recipe.

baili said...

lovely post !

thanks for sharing information about one of the most beautiful month dear Jan :)

i enjoyed learning
more blessings to you and family

Conniecrafter said...

I so do enjoy all the beautiful flowers blooming at this time :)
My husband always gets me on April fools, usually I am waiting for it but Easter threw me off this year and he got me good this year.

Teresa said...

Gracias. Feliz mes de abril también para ti. Besos.