Total Pageviews

Wednesday 17 April 2024

'Real food is just one component of a healthy lifestyle'


Franziska Spritzler RD CDE writes:

"Real food is whole, single-ingredient food. It is mostly unprocessed, free of chemical additives, and rich in nutrients. In essence, it's the type of food human beings ate exclusively for thousands of years. However, since processed foods became popular in the 20th century, the Western diet has shifted toward ready-to-eat meals. While processed foods are convenient, they also harm your health. In fact, following a diet based on real food may be one of the most important things you can do to maintain good health and a high quality of life.

Here are 21 reasons to eat real food

1. Loaded with important nutrients

2. Low in sugar

3. Heart healthy

4. Better for the environment

5. High in fibre

6. Helps control blood sugar

7. Good for your skin

8. Helps lower triglycerides

9. Provides variety

10. Costs less in the long run

11. High in healthy fats

12. May reduce disease risk

13. Contains antioxidants

14. Good for your gut

15. May help prevent overeating

16. Promotes dental health

17. May help reduce sugar cravings

18. Sets a good example

19. Gets the focus off dieting

20. Helps support local farmers

21. Delicious

The bottom line
Real food is just one component of a healthy lifestyle. It’s also important to get plenty of exercise, lower your stress levels, and maintain proper nutrition. But there’s no doubt that eating more real food will go a long way toward improving your health."

The above is just a snippet of Franziska's article, you can read it in full here


Dear reader - you will find a variety of articles and recipe ideas within this blog, and not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter. If you have any concerns about your health, it is always advisable to consult your doctor or health care team.

All the best Jan

27 comments:

Christine said...

Here's to real food -Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

Tom said...

...sadly, real food requires planning!

J.P. Alexander said...

Gracias por el consejo. Te mando un beso.

Dee said...

Three cheers for real food.

Lorrie said...

Real food is the most delicious!

Angie's Recipes said...

Never a fan of processed food...the over processed seed or vegetable oils are even worst.

Buttercup said...

As one of my doctors always says, "Food is your best medicine." I've been eating leafy greens almost daily based on his strong recommendation and it's become the cornerstone of my diet. Never thought I'd learn to like kale, among the realest of real foods.

Elephant's Child said...

One aspect - but SUCH an important one.

Margaret D said...

Love 'real' food Jan.

jabblog said...

Hear, hear!

roentare said...

Your words just convince me for raw food

eileeninmd said...

Real food taste much better!
Take care, have a great day!

Shrimpton and Perfect said...

Great tips. I'm very mindful of trying to eat well, even more so as I am growing older. Eating well means feeling well.

Laura. M said...

Me gusta. Es Muy rica y sana esta comida real. Gracias Eddy.
Un abrazo.

Aritha V. said...

Hi Eddie,

I hear you loud and clear. It was also on the news over the weekend that we eat way too unhealthy, even here in the Netherlands. I told my husband that I wanted to cook healthier meals for him (I already do it for myself).

I also want to thank you for all your comments on my blog. There you go. I appreciate it.

Aritha

Cherie said...

Home grown and fresh picked is a real treat. Zero food miles and fresh as it can possibly be.

Valerie-Jael said...

Good food is always worth the trouble to make it!

Anonymous said...

I like tasting the true taste of natural foods, way more than foods with added sugar.

Sandra Cox said...

You're so right, Jan, about eating whole foods. And they taste so good. I gotta admit, I do a lot of packaged food. It's just so darn easy.

Lowcarb team member said...

GOOGLE TRANSLATE

J.P. Alexander said...
Gracias por el consejo. Te mando un beso

Thanks for the tips. I send you a kiss

Laura. M said...
Me gusta. Es Muy rica y sana esta comida real. Gracias Eddy.
Un abrazo.

I like it. This real food is very tasty and healthy. Thank you Eddy.
A hug.

happyone said...

All good reasons!!

Kim said...

Real food, whole foods are the best!!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

When I was growing up, my grandmother only prepared real food. One time she got jello in a box she had to prepare. She decided it had an artificial taste. Wish I had learned more in the kitchen rather than hanging with my grandfather tuning his cars, or doing plumbing or electrical work around the house.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I agree about eating real food, but sadly so much of it is filled with chemicals these days.

Jeanie said...

And it's more fun to cook than popping a meal in the micro!

Teresa said...

Buena comida, me gusta. Besos.

Back2OurSmallCorner said...

Home grown and home baked with fresh ingredients has to be better for us on so many levels. D and I enjoy cooking together and enjoy each others company while we work.Great positive list of the benefits of real food.