Total Pageviews

Saturday 7 December 2013

Millions with diabetes are refusing to diet or exercise.

MILLIONS of patients with Type 2 diabetes refuse to make the lifestyle changes that could save them from heart disease, strokes, blindness and amputations, a shock report showed yesterday.

Six out of 10 are at risk of a host of life-threatening complications because they refuse to exercise.
And half of patients increase their chances of debilitating illness or death because they do not change their diet.
The report, based on a global study, lays bare the extent of Britain’s diabetes crisis, revealing a “clinical inertia” among both doctors and patients.
Astonishingly, it shows that 75 per cent of Type 2 patients are not concerned about the risk of complications from which they could easily die.
Just 40 per cent say they have increased their level of exercise after diagnosis, despite receiving regular counselling on the importance of lifestyle changes. On top of that, doctors admit that they only expect around half of people with the condition to reach their blood sugar goals.
Dr David Strain, of the University of Exeter Medical School, who chaired the committee behind the Time 2 Do More survey, said: “The low expectations described by both physicians and people with diabetes appear to be self-fulfilling prophecies.
“This must be reversed if we are to tackle one of today’s biggest global health problems.”
Type 2 diabetes accounts for 90 per cent of all cases and, in the UK, costs the NHS a staggering £296 a second.
However, 42 per cent of people patients do not reach their blood sugar goals.
Dr Strain said: “The survey adds a wealth of data that gives us insights into what needs to be done to provide better outcomes for those with the condition.”
He hoped to translate the findings into “simple recommen­dations” to improve overall care.
The survey found that 68 per cent of people with Type 2 diabetes understood the importance of lifestyle changes but only 51 per cent made dietary changes and even fewer took more exercise.
More on this story here.
Eddie

5 comments:

Lynda said...

This is no surprise to me. All the diabetics I personally know do nothing to help themselves. I think people have the great head buried in the sand syndrome. You can't "see" diabetes so they just carry on not caring. Very Sad.

Lowcarb team member said...

I am glad that this article shares the blame between patients and doctors. I think the NHS sends out mixed messages. Just leave it to us take the medication and all will be well.

I know so many people who think I am crazy and extremist because their DN tells them they are doing well and I tell them the opposite. She is a professional so what do I know?

It is indeed, about expectations and laziness on the part of all. Even when I say that I would be blind were it not for my diet and exercise regime - they don't really believe me because there is no physical evidence.

Of course they all think it can't happen to them, they just carry on taking the meds and they will be fine.

Of course we don't want to frighten people but a little reality wouldn't hurt. I don't think warnings about stroke and heart attack really register because these things happen in the general population. More information such as the diabetic foot article sent in by Indy might be more effective.

Then of course there is the problem - as always - of the recommended diet.

Although the Dr was not guilty of this, on diagnosis I was given an information pack, a diet sheet which would probably have killed me had I followed it. My own diet was far better but I recognise the NHS diet might be better for some than the diet in the wider population.
What a state of affairs.!

I am not posting much at present as I am having problems with my vision. As I often point out this is due to inappropriate drugs and treatment but I would certainly be blind by now had I not discovered how carb sensitive I was and worked out a regime of min meds lowcarbing and exercise.

If everyone could see through my eyes at this moment I am sure it would give some,at least, pause for thought.

Kath

Anonymous said...

This is indeed sad. As with any disease or problem - people can only be helped if they truly want to be helped.

Anne

Anonymous said...

You can tell people so many different things, and they only hear what they want to.To some abc is abc to others it's cba.
Though it may seem strange to some how others get on with life and ignore the obvious.
For me the obvious is four letters plus exercise.
How simple and easy is that?

Jeanne

Oh nearly forgot those four letters are lchf.

Unknown said...

Yeah, everybody loves to go on and on about how easy it is to diet and exercise, and oh how do people like to preach to others about how they should stop eating such and such foods and exercise,until someone corners them and demands they change their diet and exercise. I love how people become outraged as if they are eating any healthier a diet, why it's just a scandal someone put me on the spot. Fifty to Severity percent of all of this advice is total BS.