Total Pageviews

Sunday 15 December 2013

Nigel Slater's winter salad recipes

I am not a diabetic, I started low carbing because it fell in with Eddie's food therapy, it was easy, and the added bonus is - he does a lot of the cooking these days. Some say low carbing is boring, it's not. There are some great recipes out there, just put a little effort in to find them. You may even discover new foods! I found these recipes today, can't wait to try them out.


Nigel Slater: 'These salads have crisp, fresh leaves and an earthy, satisfying quality suited to a frosty day. Salad for the winter solstice'. Pictured: spiced beetroot salad with goat's curd. Photograph: Jonathan Lovekin for the Observer



Nigel Slater's roast chicken, lime and mint salad recipe. Photograph: Jonathan Lovekin for the Observer

Find these wonderful low carb recipes here.

All the best Jan

4 comments:

Lowcarb team member said...

Hi Jan.

I am always confused about beetroot. I would assume that it was high in carbs from the sugar and was definitely warned about the juice but it seems to feature in many recipes offered to lowcarbers.

I had a lovely duck in beetroot sauce salad in a restaurant recently and didn't even notice that there were no starchy carbs as it was very filling. When I tested it hadn't spiked my bgs at all.

Can anyone clarify please. Beetroot good or bad?

Kath

Unknown said...

According to the Australian Calorie King website, 1 cup (142g) of boiled beetroot has 11.8g carbs (68 cal) - also seems to be an excellent source of potassium at 364.9mcg. But like most things, probably good to test against your meter to be sure.

Lowcarb team member said...

Hi Kath and Indy Jill

Many thanks for your comments.

I did check Beetroot before I posted this recipe and yes although it's not very low in carbs per 100 gram, it's not too bad, except for the last one in the list - stay clear I think!

I give the figures below taken from the 'Collins gem' Calorie Counter Book.

Beetroot:
baby (Baxters) 6
baby (Haywards) 5.5
sliced (Haywards) 4.8
trimmed,peeled 7.6
trimmed, peeled, boiled 9.5
pickled, whole & sliced 5.6
pickled, all varieties (Baxters) 26

As ever caution is the name of the game. It's always a good idea to test your bg numbers against your meter to be sure.

All the best Jan

Tanvee said...

these salads look nice...I am always on the look out for good salads, thank you for sharing :)