Total Pageviews

Friday 6 December 2013

Key NHS operations 'being rationed'

The NHS in England appears to be rationing access to vital non-emergency hospital care, a review suggests.
The analysis by the Dr Foster research group looked at three key procedures - knee, hip and cataract operations.
For much of the past decade, patient numbers have been rising as would be expected with an ageing population.
But since 2010, the numbers have levelled off - with just one in eight areas now doing more hips and knees and one in five seeing rises in cataracts.
It comes amid mounting pressures on the health service.
The challenges facing A&E units have been well documented, but reports have also been emerging that non-emergency care is being squeezed too.

Colin Howie, vice president of the British Orthopaedic Association, said the findings were "very concerning".
More on this story here.
Eddie

1 comment:

Lowcarb team member said...

I understand that greater demand for hip and knee operations is linked to obesity so that the demand comes from younger people
for whom surgery might be less appropriate.

I have noticed the rise I waiting times for cataract operations in my hospital . This is very obviously owing to the fact that it is possible to pay privately for the procedure, in the hospital.

On the other hand many older people will try to avoid cataract surgery for as long as possible.
There is always a story behind the figures.

My sister only had to wait 2 weeks for her knee replacement surgery because she is in her sixties and her knees were in a very bad sate by he time she agreed to he surgery.

Younger people whose weight adds to their problems will not be considered for immediate surgery -also because at present the operation might have to be repeated at some stage.

I spend a lot of time sitting in waiting rooms with patients awaiting cataract surgery.
many who are drivers are desperate for the procedure but others aren't so keen.

I have had cataract operations on both eyes because the eye surgery I have had causes cataracts to grow more quickly.Because by some fluke the sight was concentrated in one area I was able to see better in one eye than I had for years. Unfortunately this meant that the ophthalmologist could not examine my eyes properly so i was actually worse off after the operation.

Not everyone waiting a cataract op will be in imminent danger of blindness. Figures can be misleading worry more about quality rather than quantity when I see procedures and people reduced to the lowest common denominator.

I worry that the ccgs are just causing more red tape and unnecessary appointments and wasting time and money
I would love to see GPs and Hospitals co operating not competing. I am not holding my breath.

Kath