Total Pageviews

Friday 13 December 2013

My latest Retinopathy test, I got lucky !

On Wednesday I had my annual Retinopathy test. I got lucky, the test was completely clear and over five years into type two diabetes, no eye complications. The reason I say lucky, was because I got the good technician. The place that tests me has two regular people. One is a miserable person that explains nothing and kicks me out without a comment, and the other, a wonderful young woman who shows me the photographs and we discuss the situation in detail.

I am a semi retired photographer, I fear blindness. I believe my minimal diabetes medication and diet of 50 carbs per day maximum, is the reason for my non diabetic BG numbers, and is saving my eyes. If I am wrong, I reckon I could have done no more, I can live with that.

Eddie

5 comments:

Leigh said...

Awesome news! Congratulations:)

Lowcarb team member said...

Thank you Leigh

The terrible fact is few diabetics should ever go blind, it's mostly down to good BG control. Most never get to a safe BG control because the recommended diet is almost guaranteed to cause diabetic complications.

Keep up your great work, you are a great example for what can be achieved.

Eddie

Anonymous said...

2 months after diagnosis and my first screening showed background retinopathy.

1 year later and the second screening showed that the retinopathy had been reversed.

4 years on and still all is OK.

Good thing this diabetes is progressive - NOT..if you cut right back on the carbs.

Lowcarb team member said...

If diabetics get control of BG numbers quickly, diabetes complications can be reversed. If allowed to get worse, nothing can reverse complications. Far too many do nothing until it is too late.

Eddie

Anonymous said...

That is always good to know. It never ceases to amaze the difference in HCP's some are more forthcoming aren't they.
Sue