Total Pageviews

Thursday 2 February 2017

Thursday's Child Has Far To Go !

Regular readers may have noticed, that this week my post's have all included the day of the week ... so having started it I guess I thought I would continue - well at least for today and tomorrow !

Do you remember the rhyme "
Monday's Child" it is one of many fortune-telling songs, popular as nursery rhymes for children. It is supposed to tell a child's character or future based on the day of birth and to help young children remember the seven days of the week. As with all nursery rhymes, there are many versions.

I can remember this rhyme, especially of course the line that represented my day of birth - which was a Thursday. If you read the rhyme below you will see that 'Thursday's Child Has Far To Go'. There are many common modern versions of this rhyme which includes this one taken from on-line Wikipedia. Interestingly it also appeared in St. Nicholas Magazine, a popular monthly American children's magazine, published from 1873 - 1940.

"Monday's child is fair of face
Tuesday's child is full of grace
Wednesday's child is full of woe
Thursday's child has far to go
Friday's child is loving and giving
Saturday's child works hard for a living
But the child who is born on the Sabbath day ...
is bonnie and blithe and good and gay"

When younger the words 'far to go' meant getting out and about travelling and seeing different sights and sounds ... perhaps travelling to places like the USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand. Of course there are many countries that you can choose to visit, save up those pennies, pounds, dollars etc. The furthest I travelled was to New Zealand, and I have so many fantastic memories of that country both North and South Island. Nearer to home (the UK) the Italian Lakes and the wonderful mountains and scenery of Switzerland and Austria also left wonderful memories. 

But 'far to go' has other permutations. Perhaps, the traditional meaning is associated with Thursday children having a long, and successful life without limitations.  Going far in life is typically viewed as a positive attribute with children having a lot of potential and talent - perhaps a good education, the right job opportunities can play their part. 

For me, thankfully, I am still travelling on my life journey. Yes, I can look back on many twists and turns the path has taken me, but above all the wonderful love and laughter of those close to me ... and I look forward to many, many more years as my life journey continues.

... and now it's recipe time and I thought in keeping with today's theme, and all the T's, I'd include a colourful tomato one ... it's 'Vittoria tomato tricolore salad', and is perfect for warm summer days should you be living in the Southern Hemisphere - but for those of us in cooler climes it does make a delicious lunch and yes, it is LCHF !

to see the recipe, instructions and more please use this link here 

I just had a thought! 'T' could of course mean a nice cup of Tea!
Shall I put the kettle on ready?

All the best Jan

28 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello, the salad looks delicious. Happy Thursday, enjoy your day!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jan, Oh yes, I'll join you for tea! The salad looks delicious, too.
I was born on Tuesday; my sis was born on Thursday!

Mylittlepieceofengland said...

Oh I love that rhyme, I remember telling it to my children when they were young. Salad looks delicious, I always think the contrast of the juicy red tomatoes looks so appetising against the mozzarella xx

Martha said...

I always enjoy a good salad! And I would love to have a cup of tea with you!

only slightly confused said...

I'm Wednesdays child and my name means 'our lady of sorrows' but fortunately none of that has had any impact on my life. The kettle is pretty.

Mac n' Janet said...

Beautiful looking salad, I'd eat the tomatoes, my husband would eat the cheese and we'd both eat the avocados. I had to go look up what day of the week I was born on, turns out it was Saturday and I'm going to have to work hard for my living.

Christine said...

oh this salad would go so well with my balsamic glaze!

Connie said...

After reading these I had to Google the day of the week to see which one I was born on . . . I should have known just my reading the description of each child that I would be a Saturday. Some times I feel like Cinderella . . . work, work, work, LOL That salad looks wonderful, I can hardly wait for summer tomatoes again :)
Have a lovely day.
Connie :)

Giga said...

We are pleased that a wonderful life have to have people born on Thursday. It regards me. Salad delicious, I do something similar. Regards.

Bob Bushell said...

Superb tomatos with the cheese and of course the avocados, mmmmmmm, I love that food.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I bought Florida avocados at the Farmer's mkt this morning! They will be so good. I was born on Saturday...so I've been a hard worker all my life! hahaha! Hugs!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

PS Tea sounds wonderful right now!

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

That salad looks amazing, love the combos of mozzarella, tomatoes and basil, life doesn't get much better than those three together! Your tea kettle is lovely, sure wish we were closer, I would pop in for a cuppa with you :) Hugs to you today :)

Lisabella Russo said...

The salad looks delicious! It's a fun poem, I'm not sure what day of the week I was born on though...

Rose said...

Oh, my that salad does look delicious...I love tomatoes period.

Francisco Manuel Carrajola Oliveira said...

Aquela salada tem óptimo aspecto.
Um abraço e boa semana.
Andarilhar
Dedais de Francisco e Idalisa
Livros-Autografados

This N That said...

Your salad looks very tempting..Very colorful as well..Hpe you are having a good week..

Lowcarb team member said...

Francisco translation:

That salad looks great
A hug and good week

happyone said...

I didn't know which day I was born on so I went to look it up.
I'm Wednesday, full of woe. Doesn't sound like me though. : )
The salad looks beautiful as well as delicious.

Margaret D said...

Hello Jan - remember that poem was interesting to see it once again.

riitta k said...

What a wonderful rhyme! I love your posts for you always suggest some delicious and light meals - like this delicious & colourful salad! Thank you - enjoy your weekend!

roughterrain crane said...

Happy Friday. Today is the last day of winter and tomorrow is the first day of spring according to the lunar calendar. Have a nice weekend.

The Happy Whisk said...

I am Thursday child as well. And then Debra did the roaster thing, and I am roaster to. I am, a Thursday Roaster. Thanks for this post, I enjoyed learning more about you. Have a most excellent weekend and boogie boogie.

Conniecrafter said...

You know I had know idea what day I was born on so I had to look it up, I was born on a Saturday. It is kind of funny cause I have only had a few jobs out side the house in my life, but more of the time I was a stay home Mom and don't work know, although my hubby tells me I make up for it at home. I guess I have always been big on volunteering so maybe that is my working hard :)

Carla from The River said...

A pink tea pot ... sweet as can be.

I love it!!
Carla

Magic Love Crow said...

Here's to many great life journeys! That salad looks amazing! I don't know what day I was born on? I have to ask my mom! Thanks for everything Jan!

Debbie said...

that's my number one favorite!! with fresh basil from my garden!!!

Unknown said...

Well, well, well! Just look at that! I'm a diabetic, a low-carber and - guess what - a Thursday's child. Could we both be left-handers and in our fifties?