Total Pageviews

Tuesday 27 June 2017

All Medical Professionals should be trained in basic human metabolism.

From NHS nurse posting on twitter.



She was 100% wrong. The facts, published on our website here eight years ago.

Diabetics, and even some health professionals, often confuse two quite distinct metabolic processes - ketosis and ketoacidosis. Ketosis is a perfectly natural and healthy state during which the body uses stored or dietary fat for fuel. In order to enter this state, carbohydrate intake needs to fall below a certain level. Ideally, a healthy metabolism should regularly use ketosis, while fasting overnight for example, to fuel the body's processes and utilise stored fat reserves. Most of the body's organs, the heart for example, in fact run very efficiently on ketones.

Ketoacidosis is quite different and is typically the result of a chronic lack of insulin, not a lack of carbohydrate. With insufficient insulin, the body attempts to fuel itself by breaking down fat and protein stores in an uncontrolled way, a process which results in the blood becoming dangerously acidic. In short, ketosis usually occurs when blood sugars are at the lower end of the normal range, and ketoacidosis occurs when blood sugars are dangerously elevated. Ketosis is a result of low carbohydrate intake, ketoacidosis is a result of inadequate insulin levels.

Eddie

8 comments:

Mary Kirkland said...

My doctor just last month told me that if my blood sugar is over 500 at any given time I should go to the ER and get checked out because of Ketoacidosis. It was the first time I had heard of that. Thankfully it doesn't usually get higher than 300 these days.

DeniseinVA said...

It is all very interesting. Another informative post, thank you!

Carol Blackburn said...

Hi there, there will always be the need for "continuing education" for medical professionals as well as the general public. I am a retired nurse and remember everyone always got ketoacidosis confused this way. I don't think it will ever change. I enjoy your posts.
Carol

Lowcarb team member said...

Mary Kirkland said...
My doctor just last month told me that if my blood sugar is over 500 at any given time I should go to the ER and get checked out because of Ketoacidosis. It was the first time I had heard of that. Thankfully it doesn't usually get higher than 300 these days.

Your Doctor is right, 500 equates to 27.77 in the BG numbers used in the UK, most certainly very high and dangerous. 300 equates to 16.66. I have not seen numbers like that other than at diagnosis. They are very high, and I would shudder if I saw numbers like that one my meter.I aim for around 6 or less fasting around 100 in US numbers.

Don't be alarmed, this can usually be sorted out. I would love to help you as I have helped others. If you prefer to contact us privately please do so at lowcarbdiabetic@aol.com

Chin up and kind regards

Eddie

Lowcarb team member said...

Carol Blackburn said...
Hi there, there will always be the need for "continuing education" for medical professionals as well as the general public. I am a retired nurse and remember everyone always got ketoacidosis confused this way. I don't think it will ever change. I enjoy your posts.
Carol

I am in awe of almost all medical professionals. The fact is many are not trained in diet or metabolism. They have to deal with thousands of medical complaints. I only deal with one, type two diabetes, and I know after nine years study, I have much to learn.

Regards Eddie

River said...

Thank you for explaining the difference.

Breathtaking said...

Hello, and a very good morning to you. I learn something every time I read your posts. Thank you for this informative post.:)

Francisco Manuel Carrajola Oliveira said...

Um artigo muito interessante.
Um abraço e continuação de boa semana.

Andarilhar
Dedais de Francisco e Idalisa
O prazer dos livros