Total Pageviews

Tuesday 27 June 2017

Mustard and Sage Chicken with Celeriac Mash


Swapping potatoes for celeriac lowers the carbohydrates in this lovely mid-week dinner suggestion ... ready in under half an hour and tastes great!

Ingredients:
Serves Three
1 celeriac, p
eeled and cut into chunks
3 chicken breasts, skinless
1 tbsp. English mustard powder
2 tsp olive oil

2 garlic cloves, crushed
8 sage leaves, chopped
100g low-fat crème fraîche, plus 2 tbsp. for the mash

1 chicken stock cube
2 tbsp. wholegrain mustard
To Serve:
275g cooked green veg, such as thin-stemmed broccoli, peas or Savoy cabbage,

Method:
1. Put the celeriac in a bowl, add a splash of water and cover with cling film. Pierce the cling film and microwave on High for 10 minutes or until really tender.
2. Meanwhile, put the chicken breasts between 2 sheets of cling film and lightly bash with rolling pin until they are an even thickness. Dust with the mustard powder. Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add the chicken breasts and brown on both sides. Add the garlic and sage to the pan, stirring in the gaps between the chicken, for 30 secs. to 1 minute, then crumble in the stock cube. Pour in 100ml hot water and add 100g crème fraîche. Stir the sauce around the chicken, then cover the pan with a lid and cook over a medium heat for 8 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Stir through the mustard and season with plenty of black pepper.
3. While the chicken cooks, drain any liquid from the celeriac, season, add the remaining 2 tbsp. crème fraîche and mash (or blitz to a purée in a food processor). Serve with the chicken and some green veg.

From an original recipe
here

Please note this recipe works well with chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts, and also some readers may prefer to use 75g full fat crème fraîche instead of the low fat type ...


You can learn more about Celeriac ...
A beginners guide to this great lower carb vegetable
and a delicious Celeriac Dauphinoise recipe here

All the best Jan

26 comments:

Catarina said...

Another great dish!
Thanks

Tom said...

... Celeriac mash is new to me.

riitta k said...

I looked also the Celeriac Dauphinoise. Both recipes sound great. I have never cooked celeriac as such but mixed to smashed potatoes, very good there too, allthough not so low carb.

Christine said...

Delicious, off to check out celeriac.

Martha said...

This looks so good. The dishes you share make me very hungry!

Blogoratti said...

Wonderful preparation and looks yummy as always. Greetings!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

At 300 calories this is definitely one I'll be making very soon Jan, thanks.

NatureFootstep said...

seems like a nice meal.

Mary Kirkland said...

This sounds good. I absolutely love sage on chicken...hubby, not so much. lol

Valerie-Jael said...

Sounds wonderful, yum! Hugs Valerie

DeniseinVA said...

The celeriac mash sounds like a great substitute for mashed potatoes. I too love sage in just about everything. Great recipe share again Jan, thank you :)

Elephant's Child said...

I really need to try celeriac.

Snowbird said...

I have never tried celeriac as a mash, can't wait too now!xxx

William Kendall said...

I wasn't familiar with celeriac.

Lisabella Russo said...

Thank you for the information on the celeriac, it looks yummy in this dish. I'll have to take a look for it when I go shopping next.

Carol Blackburn said...

Never heard of celeriac before. I did go check out the post you linked to and the first thing I thought of when I saw the picture of it layered in the dish was that you could top it with cheese and it would be similar to Au gratin potatoes. To replace our mashed potatoes I am making mashed turnips with carrots. It's one of hubby's favorites that we haven't had enough. Not he'll get it more often. Bonus for him!

Lowcarb team member said...

Hello Carol, I'm pleased you checked out the celeriac link. Yes, it may certainly be topped with some grated cheese ...
Your recipe of turnips and carrots sounds very tasty.

All the best Jan

Revrunner said...

Celeriac, you say. Well, I'll have to go look for it the next time I'm in the grocery store. So many choices of greens!

Sue (this n that) said...

Thanks for this post. We've never tried this gnarly little vegetable that I pass by in our locally grown vegie shop. So I figure it's time we did! Cheers :D)

Debbie said...

YuM!!! i love sage and have grown it in my garden!!

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

I've never tried this veggie, but have always wanted to. Love the chicken recipe, too - sounds wonderful! Hope you are having a lovely week x Karen

Lee said...

This looks delicious. I'm about to have a bowl or two of a red lentil-tomato soup I've made, which is simmering away on the stove. :)

Sami said...

Never tried celeriac, will need to buy some and see it it's accepted at home...
Thanks Jan.

Ron Lewen said...

I've absolutely fallen in love with celeriac over the past few months. Besides mashed or puréed I like it shredded like hash browns, as 'fries' in my air fryer, and my favorite, cubed, boiled until just tender and then made into a 'potato' salad!

Linda said...

I love sage, especially with chicken and/or stuffing. I don't know much about celeriac. Thanks so much for all your posts.

Magic Love Crow said...

This looks so yummy! Thank you!!! (I am allergic to sage, but I can do different things!)