If you are not a kale lover, just replace it with spinach or chard. Some may even prefer to leave it out - the recipe is still delicious.
1 medium onion, diced
1 small butternut squash (1 ½ lbs.), peeled and cut into ¼-inch dice (about 3 cups)
1 medium apple, cored and diced
12 ounces ground/minced turkey or chicken
½ tsp. dried sage
¼ tsp. dried thyme
¼ tsp. garlic powder
½ tsp. sea salt
Pinch of nutmeg and/or red pepper flakes (optional)
3 cups kale, chard or spinach, washed and torn
2. Place a large pan/skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 tsp. coconut oil and heat just until oil starts to shimmer. Add onion and butternut squash. Sauté for 7-8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add 3 Tbsp. water and diced apple. Cook an additional 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Move vegetable mixture to one side of the pan. Add 1 tsp. coconut oil and turkey/chicken mixture. Allow turkey/chicken to cook a few minutes before breaking it up with a spatula or wooden spoon.
5. Continue to cook 5-6 minutes or until turkey/chicken is cooked through and no longer pink. Stir to combine vegetables and meat.
6. Place kale/chard/spinach on top of hash and cover with a lid. Allow greens to wilt, about 1-2 minutes. Stir, season with additional salt and pepper and serve.
All the best Jan