Total Pageviews

Wednesday 25 October 2017

Tomato Curry : It's a fresh and delicious Vegetarian / Vegan dish


Thought I'd share this fresh vegetarian/vegan tomato curry recipe with you, as I know many readers do like all things veggie! Even for meat eaters it does sometimes make a change to have a veggie night! This recipe could be perfect if you fancy a veggie curry in a hurry ...

Ingredients:
Serves Four
900g large vine tomatoes
3 tbsp. vegetable oil
2 thinly sliced garlic cloves
2 tbsp. grated ginger
1 thinly sliced onion
1 de-seeded and chopped red chilli
1 tsp lightly crushed fennel seeds
1⁄2 tsp paprika
1⁄2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp tomato purée
12 curry leaves
100ml hot water

fresh coriander to serve

Method:
1. Cover 900g large vine tomatoes with boiling water in a bowl for 3 minutes. Drain, cover with cold water, then peel off the skins. Finely chop half the tomatoes and cut the remainder into wedges.
2. Heat 3 tbsp. vegetable oil in a frying pan. Add 2 thinly sliced garlic cloves and 2 tbsp. grated ginger. Fry for a minute then add 1 thinly sliced onion and 1 deseeded and chopped red chilli. Fry gently for 6 minutes until soft but not browned. Stir in 1 tsp lightly crushed fennel seeds, 1⁄2 tsp paprika, 1⁄2 tsp turmeric, 1 tsp ground cumin and 1 tsp ground coriander and fry for 2 minutes.
3. Add the chopped tomatoes, reserving the wedges, 1 tsp tomato purée, 12 curry leaves and 100ml hot water. Simmer for 10-15 minutes on a medium heat until thickened – add a little extra water if it’s too dry. Add the tomato wedges, season and simmer for 5 minutes until the wedges are soft but still holding their shape.
4. Scatter with fresh coriander and serve with Cauliflower rice.

Nutritional information / original Sainsbury's recipe is here

Dear reader, you will find a variety of recipe ideas within this blog. Please note, not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

15 comments:

Tom said...

...looks like a nice change.

piccolina said...

Yummy!I like curry recipes. :)

Have a blessed week!

Martha said...

This is so yummy with all the wonderful spices in it!

Jo said...

We're big meat eaters but as you say, it does sometimes make a change to have a veggie night. Not that Mick would agree, he wouldn't eat this dish on two counts, no meat and the fact that it's curry. More for me I say, ha ha.

Elephant's Child said...

Yum. And if you want a bit more heat, leave the chilli seeds in.

It's me said...

Yummy !!!.....have a Nice week Ria

sandy said...

Just the other day Mike mentioned to me he wanted to start using curry in his cooking. Very synchronistic seeing this today.

Down by the sea said...

I have just been catching up with you. I have lots of fantastic healthy recipes now to brighten up my autumn. Sarah x

carol l mckenna said...

Not a curry fan but steals look delicious and healthy ~ thanks, ^_^

A ShutterBug Explores

Sandra Cox said...

Ooh, doesn't this look luscious! Appreciate the veggie recipe, Jan.
Have a great one.

Travel Bunny Alex said...

This looks really good!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

It just happens that I have the last of my vine ripened tomatoes sitting on my kitchen counter waiting for inspiration. You have just given me the recipe I need to turn these tomatoes into something decent instead of waiting until the spirit moves me. I even have curry, so I'm all set. Thank you, thank you, Jan.

DeniseinVA said...

I ate not so long ago and now I want this :) Looks delicious Jan, thanks again. I am trying to put more vegetarian/vegan meals in our weekly plan.

Magic Love Crow said...

Curry in my tummy doesn't do well, but I love this recipe! Big Hugs!

Lisa said...

It's vegan day on wednesday so this recipe would be perfect for that.
Lisa x